Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for June: 30 Days by Julilly  (Read 5023 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for June: 30 Days by Julilly
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:21:52 AM »

Happy June and summer everyone!

This month's featured author is our very own mod extraordinaire, Julilly and the story she chose to feature is 30 Days.

So, if you've already read it, feel free to drop in and tell us what you thought and ask any questions you might have. If you haven't read it yet, now would be the time lol

Here is the link:

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11011

Happy Reading!

:)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for June: 30 Days by Julilly
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »

And some more questions to get you started!

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one?

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:17 PM »

I'm stuck on my phone right now but as soon as I am home tomorrow I will fill out the questionnaire! :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »

Just popping in this thread to say I loved this story! It was refreshing to read a story that wasn't about the beginning or end of a relationship, but a couple taking a new step in an already established relationship. Nick and Peggy were such real, relateable characters (though not always likeable, which I think added to their realism) and I think anyone who enjoys Nick-centric fiction would definitely like this one!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »

Alrighty, here goes!

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

I didn't intend to like this story when I first started writing it. It was meant to be a writing exercise to help get my creative juices flowing so that I could continue to write on something else. It's not my typical fare and I went into it thinking it would just be something quick and easy to write but I ended up really enjoying it!

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

As with all of my stories, it took me way too long, but it was definitely faster than some of the projects I've worked on in the past. I started writing 30 Days in February 2012 and finished it in the fall. I had the story completed and edited before I posted it on AC.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

In order to put an end to a long-distance relationship spanning more than a year, a couple decides to skip living in the same state and go straight to living in the same house. (Hijinks ensue LOL)

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one?

In the story Nick references reading an article about couples who go through an adjustment phase during the first couple weeks of living together - how they learn things about one another they never anticipated. I actually read that article in a magazine and thought it would make for an interesting concept.

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

Hmm. There's really only two main characters and a small supporting cast so I don't know if one character stands out as my favourite. If I had to pick though, I would pick Marilyn - the sister - because I was able to relate to some of the things I put her through.

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

Obviously, the answer is the villain - Dustin. He's kind of a douchebag and not terribly likable.

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Nope, just Nick. This was actually a bit of a stretch for me in that this story isn't AU. I made Nick a Backstreet Boy, which I rarely ever do. I didn't have a purpose or reason for all of the other guys to be in it because it wasn't a band-focused story. They would have just been pointless cameos for the sake of getting them in there and that's just not my thing. :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »

Just popping in this thread to say I loved this story! It was refreshing to read a story that wasn't about the beginning or end of a relationship, but a couple taking a new step in an already established relationship. Nick and Peggy were such real, relateable characters (though not always likeable, which I think added to their realism) and I think anyone who enjoys Nick-centric fiction would definitely like this one!

Thanks Steph, I appreciate that! Your feedback during the writing process was invaluable. I probably wouldn't have finished it without it!
~Maple Jellybean~

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »

Behold, the promised confetti and congratulation s for finishing a story within a year! (per this tweet: https://twitter.com/julilly/status/342635121955975168)

I think we all know what this occasion calls for...... THATS RIGHT.....

DANCING BROCCOLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:broccoli:

hahaha...  and... :patpat:

Seriously though, I gotta read the story! I book marked it on my Nook.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »

Hahaha thank you for delivering. Seriously though, the previous one took me four years so that's a victory in my books LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »

I love this story, but I've still got a few chapters to read so I will have to get on with them this month :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »

So I guess an obviously good question to ask you would be, why does it take you so long to finish a story?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »

Oh wow I wish I knew the answer to that one. Surprisingly, I don't have a ton of free time so while I always have ideas, and even complete rundowns of what I want to happen in my head, I don't always have time to sit and write it out. Then when I do have time, sitting in front of my computer is the last thing I want to do. Hence, the never ending writing process.

This story was actually largely written while I was at work lol I hated my job last year so I would do as little as possible, which left me with a whole bunch of spare time at 5 a.m. that I could open up Google docs and power through a chapter. You'd think I'd be writing now since I'm not working but I'm not really feeling it....yet!
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »

Most of your stories tend to be AU, what do enjoy about that particular genre over the others and is there one genre you haven't written in yet but would like to try?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »

I really enjoy writing AU because I feel like there's more freedom to let my imagination run wild and do whatever I want. I can definitely be challenging to use real-person characters and put them in unusual situations without diminishing their true personality, but that's part of what I like about it. I enjoy that I can show a different side to someone while not veering too far out of character.

I think in the umpteen number of years I've been writing I've tried just about everything. I don't know if there's a genre I haven't at least tried, even if I wasn't successful. I've never really done humour or horror, but I don't think I'd have the passion for it lol

I will say this - as far as characters go, I've always used Nick as my main character. I'd like to try and write one of the other boys solo some day. I might get to know them a bit better. :P
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »

Kevin! LOL ;)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 05:15:46 AM »

Yeah... I don't think I'm that good of a writer. I was thinking more like AJ. LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: [1] 2