Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FS for June: 30 Days by Julilly  (Read 5024 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for June: 30 Days by Julilly
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »

Mare, I was about to say this to you in a text but since its about this story I figured I would add it here. The novelette you posted yesterday was everything I had hoped to achieve with this story. I was trying to write outside my comfort zone by writing something real. Sometimes real life is stranger than fiction, sometimes it's painfully dull but ultimately it's human, it's flawed, it's ... real.

I wasn't totally convinced I accomplished that with this story. Once I read your story yesterday I realized I was way far off. Maybe it was the length - though I always intended this to be 30 chapters, one month and all, but I think you just captured a picture of life really well, far better than I feel I was able to do with this.

I wanted this story to have natural dialogue (people are crass, and make rude jokes and talk about bodily functions without it always having to be a serious, for the purpose of the plot, conversation) and give a more realistic picture of a relationship than many romances ultimately do. Looking back though, I don't think I was quite there. Something to work on perhaps? :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »

Aww, well first of all, thanks again for the compliments. You know I haven't read this story, but I have a feeling you probably did a much better job than you think you did. I am sure you are your worst critic and if anyone can write something real, it's you. I love your dialogue in general because it is very real as are your killer descriptions.

I think as a whole, people get too caught up in chapter length and not the actual volume and end up with too much space and not enough substance. That's why I labeled mine beginning, middle and end. I really think as long as you have the essential elements there, you could get by with three chapters lol or okay, sometimes a little more than that but once you hit the key points, move on. No need to keep going. I think you are pretty good with getting to the point. At least in the stories I have read. Although, romance does seem to be a breed all on its own.

Clever idea to do one chapter a day. I bet that would be hard to keep finding new and interesting things to say to fill 30 entire days.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »

It was ... Some days ended up being too long and others too short so I ended up having to scrap the day-by-day idea and just go for the symbolism of 30 LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »

okay so since worked blocked me and I continually forgot to log on when I got home I am going to post now. I loved this story though Julilly you know my opinion of Patty!  LOL I did enjoy the story and the journey it went on but in my head they never stayed together after the story ended.  LOL   :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »

okay so since worked blocked me and I continually forgot to log on when I got home I am going to post now. I loved this story though Julilly you know my opinion of Patty!  LOL I did enjoy the story and the journey it went on but in my head they never stayed together after the story ended.  LOL   :)

LOL omg I love that you made your own ending. Maybe I should have made an alternate "bad news bears" ending.
~Maple Jellybean~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »

Yes please. I would read that ending :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 [2]