Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 123395 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »

I'm generally pretty happy with the stories I've written in the last few years, so it would have to be something older.  I'd have to go with "Beside the Ocean" because it's still one of my favorite storylines.  While recovering from a suicide attempt, Nick befriends (and eventually falls for) his neighbor, who, unbeknownst to him, is dying from a brain tumor.  Death and romance is always a winning combo in my book, but what I like most about this plot is the juxtaposition between someone who wants to end a perfectly good life and someone who is dying but desperately wants to live.  I think I could do a much better job at exploring that concept with emotional depth than I was able to when I wrote it at sixteen.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »

Ditto.  Twitter is for BSB/fanfic stuff, and Facebook is for real life friends and family.

I actually have two twitter accounts. One is my professional account where work colleagues, people who know me as a journalist, the general population, etc can follow me. The other is the one you guys follow which is my personal account where I keep my name off of it and only my friends know it. I'm super careful about that ever since a social media incident at work when I was young and livejournal was the place to be.

I use Twitter way more than FB, as do my RL friends so I let them follow me and figure they'd notice if I blocked them now LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »

Who here has actually rewritten an old story?  I'm not just talking revision here, but totally redoing it, like Mare asked about in her last question.  Was it worth the effort?

I've never had much luck rewriting stories.  The only success I've had is with "Years of Grace," which was a rewrite of my very first attempt at a fanfic, which was never finished and eventually lost to a computer crash.  I did finish the second version of that story, and while it's not great, it's probably better than the original would have been.  But I've never gotten very far on trying to rewrite something that was already online in its original form.  It's just too tedious.

What I have done is written stories that are similar to older stories of mine, only better.  The first story that came to mind for Mare's last question about redoing a story was my very first fanfic, "Heartache."  I still like the storyline, which is about Brian undergoing a heart transplant and eventually falling in love with the twin sister of his recipient.  But then I realized there's no way I would want to redo that story after writing "Secrets of the Heart," which is kind of a dark and twisted version of the same sort of plot, minus the romance.  I have also kind of done the same thing with my cancer stories - I've written three novels in which a Backstreet Boy has cancer, and each one is different, but also light years better than the one before it.  After Curtain Call, I feel like I've hit my cancer story nirvana and will probably never write another one.

So my other question is, whether intentionally or inadvertently, has anyone else found themselves recycling old storylines to improve upon them?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »

I used to keep my fanficing a secret but I don't really anymore. Obviously I don't come out and say it to anyone who asks and I don't post about it on Facebook with is mostly filled with old high school friends, but a lot of people know about it. My work friends found out about it one day at a drinking night and they didn't find it weird (or maybe they did and were just being nice... that is probably the case.) but working at an IT company everyone has some kind of nerdy hobby. I probably should keep it much more secretive than I do... but eh.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »

Oh another question. In the wake of all these remakes of movies, for instance, I heard they are remaking Highlander, is there a fanfic you would be interested in remaking if the author gave you permission?

Just adding on here: Or is there a fanfic you have written that you would like to see someone remake?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:11:37 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »

I used to keep my fanficing a secret but I don't really anymore. Obviously I don't come out and say it to anyone who asks and I don't post about it on Facebook with is mostly filled with old high school friends, but a lot of people know about it. My work friends found out about it one day at a drinking night and they didn't find it weird (or maybe they did and were just being nice... that is probably the case.) but working at an IT company everyone has some kind of nerdy hobby. I probably should keep it much more secretive than I do... but eh.

I think if I had more real life friends with equally nerdy hobbies, I might be more open about it, but I don't - or if I do, they're equally secretive about them LOL.  I don't even like to let on how big of a BSB fangirl I am.  I don't mind acknowledging that I still like the Backstreet Boys, but besides my family, no one even knows I went on a BSB cruise.  As far as anyone else knows, it was just a cruise LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »

Oh another question. In the wake of all these remakes of movies, for instance, I heard they are remaking Highlander, is there a fanfic you would be interested in remaking if the author gave you permission?

Just adding on here: Or is there a fanfic you have written that you would like to see someone remake?

Good questions.  I think the only kind of story I would want to "remake" would be one with a great idea that was poorly written, the kind that would make me think not only, "I wish I'd come up with this!" but "I could write this better."  No specific story comes to mind because, unfortunately, those are the stories I usually don't finish reading and eventually forget.  The stories I enjoy enough to remember are, in my mind, just perfect the way they are, even if they're not perfectly-written, and I would never want to spoil that by attempting to rewrite them myself.  Even if I could correct the mistakes, I couldn't recreate the magic that made me love the story as it was originally written.

I don't think I could ever give my blessing for someone to remake one of my stories.  Even if I knew they could write my storyline better than I did, I would never be able to let go enough to stop thinking, "That's my story."  It'd be like giving your baby up for adoption! LOL  Just thinking about it makes me sympathize with filmmakers whose movies have been remade.  Luckily for them, most remakes aren't as highly-regarded as the original, even if they do have bigger budgets and better special effects.  It just goes back to what I said about not being able to recreate the magic.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 05:19:08 AM »

Who here has actually rewritten an old story?  I'm not just talking revision here, but totally redoing it, like Mare asked about in her last question.  Was it worth the effort?

I'm actually doing that right now. I had an old story that used to be on AC back when I first joined that I deleted years ago because it wasn't at all how I wanted it. The last dozen months or so (lol) I've been completely rewriting it as though the first one never happened. It's hard to not fall back on the one that's already written when I get stuck, that's for sure!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »

I have posted on FB about my writing...my parents know and co workers. I've told my family, my dad was happy when I won a Felix for Figured You Out. He actually asked if I was gonna print out my award to hang it up LOL. Everyone for the most part has been super supportive of my writing.

As for the remake question....no I'd never let someone rewrite my work. However I did rewrite my Clone Series into one story, Weird World. It was worth it because it actually turned out so much better the second time around, and it made much more sense.

I usually don't believe in changing a story too much....but sometimes the urge is just there to put a new spin on something.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »

I'm actually doing that right now. I had an old story that used to be on AC back when I first joined that I deleted years ago because it wasn't at all how I wanted it. The last dozen months or so (lol) I've been completely rewriting it as though the first one never happened. It's hard to not fall back on the one that's already written when I get stuck, that's for sure!

LOL That's exactly what happened to me the one time I legitimately tried to rewrite a story.  It was Code Blue, and we completely rewrote the first couple of parts and then got bored and just revised the rest to fit the changes we'd made.  Never again!  But good for you for having the patience to do it.  I'm sure it'll be worth it when it's finished!
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »

To answer my own question, the only person who knows about my fan fiction writing is my husband, which is a little weird, I know.  Basically, he caught me typing furiously one day and wanted to know who I was sending such a long e-mail to...lol. So, I had to fess up that I was actually writing a story.  Over time, he got nosy and saw AC, so I had to fess up that it was Backstreet Boys fanfic.  He thinks it's "cute"... haha!  But I'm not likely to ever let him read it.  He knows this is my little escape from the real world, and supports it, though.  As for anyone else in my life, I'm sure they'd think I was off my rocker.  I have some old friends that were pretty hardcore BSB fans with me back in their heyday, and some of us are going to a concert together in August.  One of them sent a Facebook message to us all saying something like, "Remember the fanfics we used to write?"  I joined in on the discussion, but I could never really see myself saying something like, "Oh, I'm writing it again.  Check it out!"

As for the rewrite question, I guess "Forever" is kind of a re-write.  I still think it could he a better story plot and content-wise, but I wanted to stay pretty true to the original basis of the story, so it lacks a little as far as original storyline and good character development, but I'm still working on it!  I'm happy with my other couple of fanfics just the way they are right now.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »

I need to find a husband who thinks writing fanfic about the Backstreet Boys is cute!

Some of my friends used to read fanfic way back in the day when we were all fans.  I was the one who discovered it and showed the rest of them, but I never let them know when I started writing it.  Then they all sort of grew out of BSB, so I definitely wouldn't tell them now LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 02:43:08 PM »

^ I know! Emily, you are a lucky lady lol

The only fanfics I have ever wanted to remake are the ones that were left incomplete. I have always said that I would have loved to finish Prisoners of War by Eboni but then it would suck the fun out of reading it! It would be so much better if those people would just come back and finish it themselves!!!

As far as my own stuff goes, I have been half tempted to go back and redo Mizpah but in a way I think I kind of have with my other kidnapping fics. I think out of all my stuff, that's the one I'd like a chance to change if I could. I don't know if I'd be comfortable letting anyone remake one of my stories. I guess it would depend on who asked.

I sometimes wish I wasn't as embarrassed to admit I write fanfic or I love the Backstreet Boys. I mean there's really nothing to be embarrassed about but still, I guess it's the stigma that's attached to both of those things. It seems like fan fiction is becoming more mainstream now but I still couldn't see myself openly admitting I write it anytime soon. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »

Have you ever written something way out of your comfort zone and did it change the way you write in general?

Is there anyone you would like to see write something other than what they are usually known for?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

Do your friends/ family know that you write BSB fan fiction? If so what do they think? Are they supportive? Or not? Do you divulge much information about your stories and this fanfic life?

No one knows about my stories, apart from other writers on here and a Take That site I used to post my stuff on.  I'd be horrified if my family or friends found out, they'd think I was a weirdo lol. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50