Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 123472 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #705 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »

What are some of your favorite funny stories or scenes from people's stories?

I loved all of the stories for the last April Fool's challenge - Nick's Dirty Kicks, Grape Expectations, the two-headed Howie one, etc. etc.  They were all hilarious!!!

I don't go out of my way to read a lot of comedy, but one of my favorites will always be the Backstreet Baby series (http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/dwlyn/bsbbaby.html).  Never gets old!

Another old-school one that does a great job mocking fanfic is Rebels for the Cause (http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/dwlyn/rebels.html).  Cracks me up every time!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #706 on: July 20, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »

I think I'd have to agree with Julie about the funny stories.  I loved all the April Fool's challenge stories.

There are other stories with scenes that have made me laugh, but right now I can't think of the names but I know one of them was Mare's.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #707 on: July 20, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »

I'd love one about their first tour back together. Like how the old school ones were only now with Kevin newly reunited to the group. I need some bromance!

I think I would like to read something like this as well!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #708 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »

If you were to find out something you never knew about the boys would it alter your writing and or reading when it came to that subject matter? For instance, let's say you were to find out that during the Never Gone era the real reason Kevin left was because he HATED Howie or something like that. Would that change how you would go about writing them in that time period or would it not make a difference?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #709 on: July 20, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

Along those lines, have you ever found yourself confusing real facts with things you have read in other people's stories?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #710 on: July 20, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »

If you were to find out something you never knew about the boys would it alter your writing and or reading when it came to that subject matter? For instance, let's say you were to find out that during the Never Gone era the real reason Kevin left was because he HATED Howie or something like that. Would that change how you would go about writing them in that time period or would it not make a difference?

Yeah, it might.  I feel like this has actually happened to me with Nick.  We've talked a lot about "The Dark Ages" with Nick, but until that People article came out a few years ago, I didn't know just HOW dark things were for him back then.  Like obviously I knew he possibly had a drinking problem, as evidenced by the DUI, but I had no idea he was doing drugs, too.  I haven't written a story set in that era since we were IN that era, but knowing what I know about him now, I think I would write Nick a lot differently than I did at the time.

I remember the same thing happening with AJ, too... before rehab, there were lots of stories that showed him drinking too much, but it was always treated as kind of a joke.  It just went with his whole sunglasses-wearing, tattooed "bad boy" image.  Post-rehab, AJ drinking in any story was treated seriously and was usually a sign that something was wrong in the story.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #711 on: July 20, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »

Along those lines, have you ever found yourself confusing real facts with things you have read in other people's stories?

Yep!  I can't think of any good examples right now, but I have definitely been in that position where I'm going, "Did that really happen, or was that just from a fanfic?"  Like when they were in London last summer recording... there were so many stories being written about that as it was happening, like Scattered Pictures and Here We Stand, that it was kind of hard to separate the truth from fiction!  The fiction was based in truth, and yet, of course there was some creative liberty being taken, so that line was blurred.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #712 on: July 20, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »

I think finding out something like that would hinder my writing. I would have a hard time writing those brotherly moments between the guys if I knew that they secretly all hated each other, especially since I do tend to write a lot of stories set back in the day as opposed to now for that very reason. Although nowadays they do remind me of how they were back in the days but before Kevin came back, I had a hard time writing them bonding, so I can only imagine if I were to find out anything like that!

I didn't really full fledged start writing fanfic until after we found out about AJ and the rehab thing so as far as I was concerned that was always a part of the BSB history as I have known it. Nick it was a little different, so I would probably write him a little darker than what I had before.

I know another conscious change I made in my writing them present day is making Brian more the business man as well as Howie because in my mind, he's the one that really cares the most about money and such. I would have never done that in the earlier days.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:24:30 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #713 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »

I am always getting confused and sometimes would almost prefer the fanfic version of things over the real life one! LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »

So we all know what we like and don't like when it comes to reading, and we've talked a lot about our likes and dislikes on the forum.  My question is, are there any exceptions to that?  Have you ever tried a story that isn't something you'd normally enjoy reading and discovered that you loved it?  Or have you ever started a story that sounded right up your alley, only to find you didn't like it?  Why?  What is it that makes or breaks the deal in those cases?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »

I thought of another, unrelated question.

For those of you who have read or written in other fandoms, do you find that the type of fanfics that are popular in the BSB fandom are also popular in other fandoms, or does it differ from fandom to fandom?

The reason I'm asking is that I was checking my site visitor stats yesterday, and someone had gotten to my site by googling "chemo puking fanfiction" LOL.  It said my site (Broken, specifically) was ranked #18 in that search.  I was like, "Whoo hoo!" and clicked on the link to the search out of curiosity.  Browsing through the search results, I found links to cancer fanfics for every fandom from the following fandoms:  Criminal Minds, Glee (x3), Big Time Rush, Sonny With a Chance, NCIS, Drake and Josh, White Collar, and Hannah Montana before I got to any BSB ones (mine was the first).  There was also Star Trek and The OC when I looked at it yesterday (I may have read some of The OC one LOL), though I'm not seeing them there now.  It had never occurred to me that this was a storyline people wrote across fandoms, though I'm not sure why - there's nothing about it that goes better with BSB than characters in other fandoms, and cancer is kind of a universal experience; almost everyone knows someone who's had cancer.  So it does make sense; I just found it interesting and wondered what other storylines are universal like that.  I don't have enough experience with other fandoms to know.

Edit:  I'm cracking the hell up at this one: http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?psid=289722  Summary reads, "Ronald Weasley was diagnosed with colon cancer two months ago. With two very young children, Auror training, and his wife always at work, how will he handle the challenges of fighting for his life?"  I'm sorry, but that is just wrong! LMAO
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:11:57 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #716 on: July 21, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »

Couldn't he just cast a spell and make himself better? Although I suppose then it would be a very short story. LOL
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:05:08 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #717 on: July 21, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »

Couldn't he just cast a spell and make himself better? Although I suppose then it would be a very short story. LOL

Right?? LOL

If you're gonna write a Harry Potter medical drama, at least make up some kind of magical malady and treatment.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #718 on: July 21, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »

So we all know what we like and don't like when it comes to reading, and we've talked a lot about our likes and dislikes on the forum.  My question is, are there any exceptions to that?  Have you ever tried a story that isn't something you'd normally enjoy reading and discovered that you loved it?  Or have you ever started a story that sounded right up your alley, only to find you didn't like it?  Why?  What is it that makes or breaks the deal in those cases?

Like I answered in the challenge thread which might have sparked this question, I know I have a very specific idea of what I like to read in this fandom. It's taken me a long time to figure it out and when I first started reading well over 10 years ago I wasn't nearly as picky as I am now. For instance I most likely would have never read Mind Games if it came out now. The only way I got through it back at the time I read it was by switching Nick and Brian's character in my head. That's how I knew that Nick centered fics were going to be the ones to hold my attention above all the others.

The only time there are exceptions to that is if I'm asked to read something whether it be for judging purposes or something like the reading challenge. Otherwise I never even click on stories I know I won't find interesting. It's not only genre but it's also about the boy. I mean I've gotten so picky that if it's a suspense but only features Brian and AJ, I won't read it no matter how popular it is. I say that because I know there is a really popular suspense that featured those two and it didn't hold my attention for more than a chapter or two at the most.

That being said, I have read stories out of my comfort zone where I've been pleasantly surprised and ended up really enjoying them. Forever, Curtain Call, and Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon. Those are a few examples of things I would have never read unless I was asked to for some reason but ended up enjoying them all. Was it enough to make me want to try some without being forced? No. Would I ever read a sequel to any of those? No.

There have also been stories on the flip side that I thought I would love because they seemed to be tailor made for me but when I clicked on them, they didn't live up to my expectations. There was one last summer maybe, it was supposed to be a brotherly bonding type bromance between the boys, (Not the story Brothers by Jess because that is an AWESOME fic!) but the writing just wasn't there and the characters were flat, so by the second or third chapter I completely lost interest. Other suspense stories where you would think I would have loved them because they were Nick centered and filled with action, I have hated to the point a few are on my top ten least favorite stories I have ever read list. One just finally got bumped from first place. LOL  

So I guess in those make or break it situations it has to do with the writing, the characterizati ons and the plot. No matter if it seems like it was written just for me, if it's not written well, then I won't be able to get through it.

Well, that was a long answer! You can always tell when I'm bored because I get very wordy in my answering of questions. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #719 on: July 21, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »

For those of you who have read or written in other fandoms, do you find that the type of fanfics that are popular in the BSB fandom are also popular in other fandoms, or does it differ from fandom to fandom?

I haven't read a whole lot of other fandoms but I have read a few Supernatural and Numb3rs fics and yes, I was surprised to see a lot of fics featuring cancer or being sick as well as your kidnapping story lines as well. I think the funniest coincidence being a Numb3rs story I was reading where the main character, Charlie, develops this strange illness and just can't seem to shake it and the writing felt familiar and sure enough it ended up being Swenglish writing under a different pen name! lmao Small world!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50