Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 122673 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #720 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

For those of you who have read or written in other fandoms, do you find that the type of fanfics that are popular in the BSB fandom are also popular in other fandoms, or does it differ from fandom to fandom?

I haven't read a whole lot of other fandoms but I have read a few Supernatural and Numb3rs fics and yes, I was surprised to see a lot of fics featuring cancer or being sick as well as your kidnapping story lines as well. I think the funniest coincidence being a Numb3rs story I was reading where the main character, Charlie, develops this strange illness and just can't seem to shake it and the writing felt familiar and sure enough it ended up being Swenglish writing under a different pen name! lmao Small world!

That's too funny about Swenglish!  It doesn't surprise me to hear that kidnapping storylines are popular in other fandoms, too.  That definitely seems like a staple.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #721 on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

Hey I haven't' read anyone being sung out of a coma though! That's still a BSB thing! lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #722 on: July 21, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »

LMAO!  I wonder if they do that in One Direction fics.  Steph?
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #723 on: July 21, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »

Right?? LOL

If you're gonna write a Harry Potter medical drama, at least make up some kind of magical malady and treatment.

The fact that its colon cancer just makes it that much better. Look out for my next fic where Howie loses a ball to testicular cancer and how he manages to keep sexy dancing despite being lopsided.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #724 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

The fact that its colon cancer just makes it that much better. Look out for my next fic where Howie loses a ball to testicular cancer and how he manages to keep sexy dancing despite being lopsided.

LMFAO!!!!!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #725 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:43 AM »

For those of you who have read or written in other fandoms, do you find that the type of fanfics that are popular in the BSB fandom are also popular in other fandoms, or does it differ from fandom to fandom?

So, I read a lot in the Glee/Klaine fandom, the Sherlock BBC fandom, Criminal Minds fandom and The Avengers fandom. These fandoms are really huge and not only because a lot of people write about but because there are so many different types. Although the most common, as in kidnapping, abuse, rape, medical, are common in every single one. What they differ from the BSB fandom is the AU part:most of my favorite, especially in the Glee and Sherlock fandoms, are AU and they're amazing. This is something that I would love for our fandom. Fantasy,sci-fi, take the boys and put them in another setting (for example, in the Sherlock fandom one of the most famous is "A Study in Winning" in which Sherlock and Watson are tennis players. It's amazing.)
And, one thing that I love about these fandoms: there are really few Mary Sue insert stories. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #726 on: July 22, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »

So we all know what we like and don't like when it comes to reading, and we've talked a lot about our likes and dislikes on the forum.  My question is, are there any exceptions to that?  Have you ever tried a story that isn't something you'd normally enjoy reading and discovered that you loved it?  Or have you ever started a story that sounded right up your alley, only to find you didn't like it?  Why?  What is it that makes or breaks the deal in those cases?

I usually don't read much fantasy, even with published fiction (Harry Potter is my major exception).  I just prefer realistic fiction.  The only way I enjoy fantasy is if it at least starts off realistic and works in the fantasy slowly, in a way that seems believable.  Harry Potter is a good example of that.  In fanfic, it's On Nightingale Hill.  At first glance, it is so NOT the type of story I would normally even click on, let alone read, but it came highly recommended, so I gave it a try and loved it!  It is VERY fantasy, but it's not AU, which helps, and it does start out in reality, with Nick as a Backstreet Boy having no clue what's up with this fantasy world he finds himself in.  And it's very well-written, which also works in its favor.

On the other hand, while I normally love medical drama, I don't like poorly-written medical drama.  Too many mistakes with story structure and conventions will turn me off, but so will too many mistakes with the medical parts.  I don't expect every story to sound like it was written by a medical professional (although you can often tell when it was), but it turns me off if I can tell the author just made a bunch of stuff up without bothering to do any research.  Enjoying fiction is all about the suspension of disbelief, and that can't happen if the medicine is completely unbelievable.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #727 on: July 22, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

On the other hand, while I normally love medical drama, I don't like poorly-written medical drama.  Too many mistakes with story structure and conventions will turn me off, but so will too many mistakes with the medical parts.  I don't expect every story to sound like it was written by a medical professional (although you can often tell when it was), but it turns me off if I can tell the author just made a bunch of stuff up without bothering to do any research.  Enjoying fiction is all about the suspension of disbelief, and that can't happen if the medicine is completely unbelievable.

I agree with you. Maybe years ago I wouldn't give too much fuss over this but now I'm gonna close the story if there are stuff made out only for the sake of the story. And most of the times, if you make the authors notice their medical mistakes, they usually say "Well, it's a fanfiction. It doesn't have to realistic."  :crazy:

So we all know what we like and don't like when it comes to reading, and we've talked a lot about our likes and dislikes on the forum.  My question is, are there any exceptions to that?  Have you ever tried a story that isn't something you'd normally enjoy reading and discovered that you loved it?  Or have you ever started a story that sounded right up your alley, only to find you didn't like it?  Why?  What is it that makes or breaks the deal in those cases?

As I said, my only dislike is when the story revolves around the original female character, while the guys just stand there and become the supporting roles for her happenings. And here there is no excptions. Even if it's a story strongly recommended or the most popular one in the fandom, I'll dout I will enjoy it.

A lot of times I've been disappointed by a story that sounded right but end up badly. Invented medical information and, especially, treating serious stuff like rape, abuse and eating disorders - especially eating disorders since I've been there - like they're only a way to make the story more interesting but then forget about them in one chapter.  >:(

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #728 on: July 22, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »

Yeah, I've heard the old "It's fanfic, it doesn't have to be realistic" excuse, too, and that's all fine and good, but since I like it to be realistic, don't expect me to read if that's your attitude.  It is so easy to look up basic medical info on the internet these days that there's no excuse.  Even if you just go to Wikipedia or WebMD, that's better than nothing!  That'll give you the basics.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #729 on: July 22, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »

Yeah, I've heard the old "It's fanfic, it doesn't have to be realistic" excuse, too, and that's all fine and good, but since I like it to be realistic, don't expect me to read if that's your attitude.  It is so easy to look up basic medical info on the internet these days that there's no excuse.  Even if you just go to Wikipedia or WebMD, that's better than nothing!  That'll give you the basics.

Or do like Nick did with "Inconsolable" and search it on google.  :D

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #730 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »

LMAO!  I wonder if they do that in One Direction fics.  Steph?

I haven't seen anyone get sung out of a coma in any 1D fics, lol. Now that I think about it, there's a pretty big lack of medical dramas in that fandom.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #731 on: July 22, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

Really?  That's surprising!  There used to be more medical dramas in our fandom than there are now, and with as many "teenage-oriented" fandoms I saw popping up in the search results I posted about yesterday, I figured it was kind of a teenybopper thing.  The 1D fans must not know what they're missing! LOL
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #732 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »

Hopefully they still have the bus crash ones at least! LOL I mean what kind of boyband are you if you haven't sung anyone out of a coma or at least had one devastating bus crash?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #733 on: July 22, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »

Right?!  Duh!  Get on board, One Direction!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #734 on: July 22, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »

I haven't seen one bus crash story actually! Fail, 1D fandom! Lol.

The reason for the lack of medical fic is probably Room 317 - this mega popular fic that trended on twitter and pissed some of the boys off. It's got comas, cancer, a car crash, major character deaths... I assume people don't touch these things as they've already been done "perfectly" by that fic.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50