Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Outlines and plotlines, etc etc  (Read 1981 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Outlines and plotlines, etc etc
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »

During my travels through the Internet I stumbled upon a website that had some interesting writing tools/resources so I thought I would share :)

They offer six different types of (free) PDF outline templates and some of them are pretty nifty!

A selection from the article...

I have a question for you: What’s your book about?

No, no, I don’t want the long explanation. If you started with “Well, um, you see…there’s this girl…” I immediately stopped listening and started thinking about what I’m going to have for dinner tonight. I want you to give me the thirty second elevator pitch that’s going to pique my interest and make me want to read your novel instead of the pile of unread books I have at home on my nightstand.

Okay, follow-up question time: What’s the TP of your novel?

Did you seriously just say something about toilet paper? No, TP in this instance stands for Turning Point. In other words, the catalyst that makes your characters resolve their conflict. Wait — do we need to back-up here? Are you clear on what the underlying conflict of your story line is?

Alright, final question: What happens at the end?

I know you’re giving away all your secrets, but you can share with me. I won’t tell a soul. Just share the last line with me. Maybe the last paragraph. The last scene? You do know what the last scene in your novel will be, right?

Right?

If you stumbled through your answers to the questions above, I’d like to introduce you to our newest set of helpful Duolit tools. We have put together six plot and character outlining forms that not only look extremely spiffy, but they might actually help you get focused on your novel.

I'm hoping some outlining help will assist me in getting back into a story I've sort of lost the plot on!

http://selfpublishingteam.com/6-writing-outline-templates-and-3-reasons-to-use-them/
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Outlines and plotlines, etc etc
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »

Sounds like a great resource!  I'll have to check it out when I have more time.  Thanks for posting!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Outlines and plotlines, etc etc
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »

Ooooh this is very interesting! I love the different options for outlining that are available and how they cater to different creative styles. I tried that snowflake one a couple weeks ago and while I liked how in depth it went with summarizing the novel and character creation, I found that I really didn't want to outline scene by scene. I like to discover the plot and change/add/come up with scenes as I'm writing.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell