Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: The AC confessional  (Read 46120 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The AC confessional
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »

I posed this as a question in the question thread but also thought it would prove to be a fun stand on its own topic as well.

So, here is where you can post your deepest, darkest secrets about anything relating to AC. Fanfic writing, reading, any fandom, genre etc...

Come in whenever you think of one and share!

;D
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The AC confessional
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »

Here are some of mine:

~ I put a lot more importance on reviews then I say but not mine, other peoples! Before I decide to read something I'm on the fence about I almost always check out the reviews to see what they say. If all I see is 'good job!' or 'update!' by names I am otherwise not familiar with, I tend to skip the story. If the author hasn't responded to reviews, I'll skip the story no matter how highly recommended it comes. If I see a lot of familiar names reviewing a story with longer more detailed reviews, it tells me that maybe I might like it too since those people have the same taste I do and had formed opinions about what they were reading enough to leave a detailed review.

~ When a chapter is really long, I tend to lose interest sometimes, so I usually skim and look for dialogue to help me get through. Reading that, lets me know the important things that have happened. lol

~ No matter who you use on your banners, I picture your characters the way I see them and it's never as the actor or actresses you pick lol

~ If I don't like how a story is moving along, I create my own version in my head.

~ If I can't visualize the story I'm reading by the third chapter, I stop reading. I have to see it play in my head as a movie for me to stay interested.

~ I lost respect for Backstreet when they teamed up with New Kids to the point where I was ready to hand back my 'fan' card. Thank God for Kevin's return. He changed all that but I'm afraid of it happening again! 
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »

I'll bite LOL.

I never read AJ, Howie, or Brian centered stories. I made an exception recently for Mare because To Protect Serve sounded interesting, although Kevin is the main character. I am slowly coming out of the box when it comes to the boys...but for the longest time, I only read Nick or group fics.

At first I was hesitant about Kevin coming back to BSB, but after seeing them interacting with each other in interviews and stuff, I accepted him lol

I went almost two years before deciding Nick was my favorite boy. I didn't get attracted to him until the All I Have To Give video.

I was scared to death posting my first fic.on AC....Incomple te. My first review came from a friend of mine in Australia, who was inspired to write her own stories.

My Nick and Amanda series was originally a BSB/NSYNC crossover. Amanda's name wa originally Alexis, her and Nick were not supposed to end up together. There were a lot of extra characters that ended up being taken out and many other changes, to make the guys more like themselves, and Kevin was added to the mix as a wedding planner.

Figured You Out was originally written over ten years ago.....when I decided to post it at AC, I made the girl a fan, made the story a bit darker.

In fact, my father was the one who came up with the ending, making it so that there  could not be a sequel. The McDonald's bribe was an idea from a co worker....ever yone was supportive.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »

I'll bite LOL.

I never read AJ, Howie, or Brian centered stories. I made an exception recently for Mare because To Protect Serve sounded interesting, although Kevin is the main character. I am slowly coming out of the box when it comes to the boys...but for the longest time, I only read Nick or group fics.

I really never read anything but Nick or group centered fics either, unless it's for judging or challenge purposes.

If it makes you feel better Tracy, Protect and Serve is really a group fic, you'll see as you go along, it's pretty even with the featuring. :) lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »

Another confession

The only way I was able to make it through Mind Games was switching Brian and Nick's characters. LOL

usako

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 02:02:22 AM »

My confessions:

- When I start reading a fanfic, I check randomly some chapters to see if there will be some Brian's scenes, especially hurt/hospital scenes. If not, I won't probably read it.  ;D

- Whenever I'm reading a fanfic of another fandom, I still picture Brian (and Nick if it's slash) as the main character.

- I used to write reactional fanfic after reading a fanfic, especially if I believed that the authout hadn't give much attention to something that I would have loved to read. Thisused to happen a lot with stories written in first person. lol

- I have a word document with a list of illness, disease, accidents or injury to use in stories. After seeing last Brian's picture, I might have added sleep-deprivation and insomnia. LOL

-I still don't get, and I doubt that I ever will, all the love for Nick. And not only fanfic related. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:19:31 AM »

- I used to write reactional fanfic after reading a fanfic, especially if I believed that the authout hadn't give much attention to something that I would have loved to read. Thisused to happen a lot with stories written in first person. lol

- I have a word document with a list of illness, disease, accidents or injury to use in stories. After seeing last Brian's picture, I might have added sleep-deprivation and insomnia. LOL

I found these very interesting!  So you would write stories based on other stories you read to fill in the gaps with what the author left out that you wanted to read?  I've never thought of doing that, but I wonder how many other people do.

I love your list of afflictions! LOL  And I know, Brian did look really tired in that pic he tweeted!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 02:26:52 AM »

I found these very interesting!  So you would write stories based on other stories you read to fill in the gaps with what the author left out that you wanted to read?  I've never thought of doing that, but I wonder how many other people do.

I love your list of afflictions! LOL  And I know, Brian did look really tired in that pic he tweeted!

Yes. lol Especially if the story was told in first person, I used to think about how it would have turned out from the other's pov. One that I've actually started writing (and that I still have it and not erased) was a reaction fiction after reading a terrible story where the MarySue of the story broke up with Brian and the guys, instead to comfort him, went and comfort the girl.  :crazy: I was like "wtf?" so I started this story told from Brian's pov and, if I remember correctly, he ended up in hospital because of an appendicitis.  :D :D

He did looked tired not only in that but also in the pictures Leighanne tweeted on the 4th of July. Add that he had admitted in London not to being able to sleep, my mind has gone mad and in full angst mode.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »

-I still don't get, and I doubt that I ever will, all the love for Nick. And not only fanfic related. lol

This is similar to one I had thought of posting.  I do get the Nick love, but I was way late to that party! LOL  Nick was my LEAST favorite when I first became a fan, and then slowly, he started to grow on me, but it wasn't until the Now or Never era in 2002 that I really got the Nick appeal.  I think fanfic had something to do with that, too, not just real life.  Nick looked really good in 2002, better than he ever had before (to me, anyway), and I loved Now or Never, but I also read some really good Nick fanfics around that same time that made me fall in love with the fictional version of him too LOL.  Swollen Issues was one of them, I know.   Then I kept reading Nick fics, and that was what helped me get through "The Dark Ages" (as  I saw them called in Emily's story the other day), 2003-2004... when he went through his ghetto fab phase and then started dating Paris Hilton.  I'm not sure my Nick love would have survived that otherwise LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »

Yes. lol Especially if the story was told in first person, I used to think about how it would have turned out from the other's pov. One that I've actually started writing (and that I still have it and not erased) was a reaction fiction after reading a terrible story where the MarySue of the story broke up with Brian and the guys, instead to comfort him, went and comfort the girl.  :crazy: I was like "wtf?" so I started this story told from Brian's pov and, if I remember correctly, he ended up in hospital because of an appendicitis.  :D :D

He did looked tired not only in that but also in the pictures Leighanne tweeted on the 4th of July. Add that he had admitted in London not to being able to sleep, my mind has gone mad and in full angst mode.

Omg, I hate when writers have the guys comfort or side with Mary Sue over the other guy!  That would definitely go on my pet peeve list.  In some cases it may be justified, but I hate when they all act like Mary Sue is the most amazing person in the world.

LOL That's so funny... the places our minds go when we're thinking of how best to torture the boys!  My favorite kind of photo shoots are the ones where they're looking all serious and angsty, instead of smiling.  I always think, "Hm, I could use that in a banner someday..."
~Julie

usako

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:39:08 AM »

This is similar to one I had thought of posting.  I do get the Nick love, but I was way late to that party! LOL  Nick was my LEAST favorite when I first became a fan, and then slowly, he started to grow on me, but it wasn't until the Now or Never era in 2002 that I really got the Nick appeal.  I think fanfic had something to do with that, too, not just real life.  Nick looked really good in 2002, better than he ever had before (to me, anyway), and I loved Now or Never, but I also read some really good Nick fanfics around that same time that made me fall in love with the fictional version of him too LOL.  Swollen Issues was one of them, I know.   Then I kept reading Nick fics, and that was what helped me get through "The Dark Ages" (as  I saw them called in Emily's story the other day), 2003-2004... when he went through his ghetto fab phase and then started dating Paris Hilton.  I'm not sure my Nick love would have survived that otherwise LOL.

I'm the opposite. I think I'm one of the few people in the world who doesn't think that Nick is hot.  :D And the reason why I'm not into him has a lot to do with all the praises he gets from his pyscho fans, like he's a God on Earth. lol And my dislike has grown bigger after finding out the BSB fanfic and discovered that half of the stories were about Nick.  :D :D The only way I can read and write about him is when he is with Brian. As I said to a friend: "I don't love the real Nick, I love the Nick from my stories." I'm weird, I know.  :crazy: :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »

Yeah, I call Nick "The Chosen One" LOL.  I think that is partly why I disliked him in the early days, because everyone else loved him and I didn't want to be a follower.  But I really didn't find him very attractive with the floppy yellow penis haircut, and he was so awkward in interviews back then that I just made fun of him more than anything.  I was always a Brian girl, from Day 1.  I am still a Brian girl, but Nick's become a close second.  I really love all five of them, though; I don't really play favorites anymore.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 02:42:20 AM »

Omg, I hate when writers have the guys comfort or side with Mary Sue over the other guy!  That would definitely go on my pet peeve list.  In some cases it may be justified, but I hate when they all act like Mary Sue is the most amazing person in the world.

That's the first point on my pet peeve list. That's the reason why I stay away from stories told by a female characters. I want to read about the guys not about how they think the Mary Sue is amazing.

LOL That's so funny... the places our minds go when we're thinking of how best to torture the boys!
Well, it's funny to torture our Boys. lol

usako

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 02:46:58 AM »

Yeah, I call Nick "The Chosen One" LOL.  I think that is partly why I disliked him in the early days, because everyone else loved him and I didn't want to be a follower.  But I really didn't find him very attractive with the floppy yellow penis haircut, and he was so awkward in interviews back then that I just made fun of him more than anything.  I was always a Brian girl, from Day 1.  I am still a Brian girl, but Nick's become a close second.  I really love all five of them, though; I don't really play favorites anymore.

I love the five of them. Mostly, I love their relationship. I just don't get all the craziness around him.  :crazy:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 02:50:53 AM »

Well, it's funny to torture our Boys. lol

LMFAO Yes, yes it is.

Freaks unite!

:wave:
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18