Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90137 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »

Looking back on your novels, go check and see how many chapters each one is.  

What is your longest one?  Severed Identities with 43 Chapters

What is your shortest one? Amnesia with 13 chapters

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least?  If I take out unfinished (which I did for chapters so I will for this) yes, my shortest one has the least amount of review.  My longest, however, does not have the most reviews that goes to Chronos Project

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?  My highest average read per chapter is Darkness of Vampires with an average of 319 reads per chapter. My shortest story is actually the second in average reads per chapter with 308 aver.  Neither are my most read novel or most reviewed.

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?  My lowest average read per chapter is Chronos Breach with an average of 32 reads per chapter but this is my second highest reviewed story but is my least read novel.

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is? Severed Identities probably has my biggest reader drop, towards the beginning I had over hundreds of reads per chapter and the last chapters I get around 50 mostly.  I think it is because it took me so long between chapters at some point. Also, what made it sci-fi came out and that could have lost readers *shrugs*

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?  The first chapter has 374 and the last chapter has 35 so yeah.. those two. LOL   Though there is chapter in the middle, I went from 84 to 100 back down to 94 (I know from the 100 to 94 isn't a wow but 84 to 100? for my stuff that is quite a change lol)

What is your most and least read one-shot?  I only have 2 one shots so... the most read is Christmas Lights and the least read is Broken Mask.. Broken Mask is non-BSB so no shocker why that only has 9 reads. LOL

Were you surprised by any of these stats?  Nope, these are all pretty average results for me.  Though I do have to say I was a little shocked that Amnesia was my second highest average read per chapter.  I really like that story and glad it's getting reads, wish there were more reviews though. LOL
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:24:01 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 05:36:54 AM »

What is your longest one?
My collab with Julie, "Song For The Undead".

What is your shortest one?
"Walked Out Of My Dreams" though "Here We Stand" will be shorter, but it's not finished.

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least?
For now, yes. Song For The Undead definitely tops in reviews. I think Here We Stand will surpass WOOMD but it hasn't had that chance yet.

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?
Actually "Remember Me This Way" wins for my highest read count per chapter. It's averaging 400/500 reads each! It's my most read novel though not my most reviewed. Well, it's my most reviewed noncollab.

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?
My least read is a story called "Rebirth". But it's an old forgotten collab, it's scifi and I'm pretty meh about it. It's one of my least reviewed too. But I get why on all levels lol.

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is?
Definitely. After the Interlude it's drops a bit. And that's probably the hardest part of the fic to read so I can see why. Plus AC was having that update glitch where stories wouldn't show on the Most Recent at the time.

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?
The Intro for RMTW has 967 reads, Chapter one has 1008. So I guess I did a really job with the intro, because man a lot of people kept on for Chapter one lol.

What is your most and least read one-shot?
Most Read - The Christmas Album That Never Was
Least Read - An old embarrassing "visual" attempt called "One Piece Is Enough". Yeah, not my best LOL.

Were you surprised by any of these stats?
Not really. It sort of fits.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »

Do you ever question yourself and your abilities as a writer? What are some of the reasons why you think that happens?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »

Do you ever question yourself and your abilities as a writer? What are some of the reasons why you think that happens?

All the time? Lol seriously though, I definitely do. I think it might be linked to the fact that I have bad stage fright when it comes to performing. Posting my writing is just another form of putting it all out there and that terrifies me.

It's quite opposing to my public persona. I have no issues with public speaking but I think that's because I'm just good at faking confidence. I can't fake it when it's in writing.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

usako

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:23 AM »

I think that everyone always question themselves and their abilities. It's what makes us always trying to improve and get better as writers.
So, yes, I always question myself. Sometimes, while writing, I ask myself why I'm writing because it's gonna probably suck anyway and no one will read it. Part of the reason it's because I've got a very low self-esteem due to bullying so I'm always afraid about someone's else opinion about me and my writing. And while you get to the point when you know that you shouldn't let those words still have hold on you, it's a little bit difficult to be totally comfortable into writing and not caring about what people would think.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »

All. The. Time. I actually used to think I was better than I think I am now. I do try my best to improve and take critical feedback, but it can get me down when my stuff gets a lack of response (or a not very good one), especially when I was used to people reading it on AC. I just tell myself that I do take an interest in bettering my writing - so that has to help. Also (this is kind of embarrassing) I've never been seen as a very smart person at least by my peers and the people I know IRL, so it's hard for me to believe in myself and my abilities when they have been questioned a lot.

I think that everyone always question themselves and their abilities. It's what makes us always trying to improve and get better as writers.

I agree with this completely!

That is something that's really great about this forum. We are all very encouraging of each other and our hobby, and I think that's really awesome. I went to a panel at a convention a few years ago about writing and fanfiction, and the panelist's advice was to find a person or group of people who aren't afraid to be honest about the good and bad stuff about your writing, and who you can speak candidly with. When he was talking about this, I thought of AC and you guys right away.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »

I am always questioning my abilities but like Cinzia said, I think we all do that from time to time. I actually think it's healthier to question yourself than not to. I know I go through phases where I feel like nothing is going right for me. I can't get myself motivated or I feel like my words are just flat. I'm not exactly sure what brings those feelings on, but when they happen I have a hard time pulling myself out of that funk.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »

That is something that's really great about this forum. We are all very encouraging of each other and our hobby, and I think that's really awesome. I went to a panel at a convention a few years ago about writing and fanfiction, and the panelist's advice was to find a person or group of people who aren't afraid to be honest about the good and bad stuff about your writing, and who you can speak candidly with. When he was talking about this, I thought of AC and you guys right away.

I think that's so awesome! That's one of the reasons we decided to open this forum in the first place. I think it is so important to have a place where we can discuss writing and if nothing else, realize that in the end, we all tend to feel the same way about things.

I know before this forum, the only connection we really had to one another was their stories without really getting to know each other as people. It's so neat to see that no matter how long people have been writing or what genre's everyone is known for, we all have this one thing in common and love to talk about it and help each other out.

Related question to that, have you ever given authors their own personalities without even getting to know them but just based solely on their writing? Once you got to know them, were you surprised about the difference or did they act kind of how you expected in the first place? LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »

I agree with you guys, and it's so interesting to read the way you characterize yourselves or talk about how others in real life so you because it's so different from the way I "see" you online.  Julilly, you do seem very confident, even if it's faked, and Steph, I can't believe anyone would think you weren't smart.  Cinzia, you are such a nice, friendly person, I don't know why anyone would bully you, but I'm sorry that happened.  And Mare, it's nice to know everyone feels that way about their writing sometimes, when it seems like nothing is going right.

I question myself as a writer the most when I start comparing myself to other writers.  When someone posts a really great idea or a scene/story that's written in a creative way, I think, "Why couldn't I come up with something like that?  Why can't I write like that?"  Or "Why can't I finish this damn story?"  Like Mare said, it comes and goes.  There are days when I can churn out page after page of effortless-sounding writing that I'm happy with, and then there are days where everything I write or think of writing makes me go, "Ugh, this sucks" and quit.  I think everyone has those days.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »

Related question to that, have you ever given authors their own personalities without even getting to know them but just based solely on their writing? Once you got to know them, were you surprised about the difference or did they act kind of how you expected in the first place? LOL

I don't think I've done this with writers as much as with readers.  Or maybe with writers, too, but only once I've started talking to them through feedback or something.  I do kind of invent personalities for people based on how they write and what they say, but only when they're talking as themselves, not so much by reading their fiction.

I have definitely been surprised by how different people are from what I initially thought as I've gotten to know them better online or even met them in real life, and I'm sure they would probably say the same about me.  It just shows how much is left open to interpretation when you're communicating solely through text.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »

I agree with you guys, and it's so interesting to read the way you characterize yourselves or talk about how others in real life so you because it's so different from the way I "see" you online.  Julilly, you do seem very confident, even if it's faked, and Steph, I can't believe anyone would think you weren't smart.  Cinzia, you are such a nice, friendly person, I don't know why anyone would bully you, but I'm sorry that happened.  And Mare, it's nice to know everyone feels that way about their writing sometimes, when it seems like nothing is going right.

I question myself as a writer the most when I start comparing myself to other writers.  When someone posts a really great idea or a scene/story that's written in a creative way, I think, "Why couldn't I come up with something like that?  Why can't I write like that?"  Or "Why can't I finish this damn story?"  Like Mare said, it comes and goes.  There are days when I can churn out page after page of effortless-sounding writing that I'm happy with, and then there are days where everything I write or think of writing makes me go, "Ugh, this sucks" and quit.  I think everyone has those days.

:bighug:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »

I question myself all the time. I have been writing a long time but i read these stories on here and I go "Wow, I wish i was as good as Mare, Julie, Rose, or even Hannah."

I then feel sometimes I will never be at that level. This lack of confidence has always been around mostly due to the fact I was verbally abused as a child and bullied...some times I may be a bit too sensitive and it hinders my writing. I can take constructive criticism but yeah, I constantly question why someone would even read my work in the first place. I am trying all the time to work on my confidence.  Being on AC and having this kind of a support group has really helped and I love being able to talk to you guys and grow as a person and a writer.

usako

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »

I think it's time for a big group hug.

:bighug:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »

I think I actually teared up just now writing that. Thanks Cinzia!  :bighug:

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 12:20:11 PM »

Thanks Julie, that's nice to hear :)

As weird as this may seem, it's nice to know that we all have our insecurities. Like you said, everyone has those days where we're just dissatisfied with our work. It's helpful to come here and have a place where we can talk about writing and what we're working on, even if our progress on whatever project isn't going as great as we hoped at that moment, haha.

It's kind of the opposite for me because this forum was already here by the time I found AC, and I got to know some of you before I'd ever read anything you'd written! So it's cool to click into a story written by one of you and have the writing style be completely different than the way you talk on this forum or on twitter. I think all of us are like that, and it does display that we all have a handle on this hobby, just from the way our writing voices are different than our "chatting" voices!

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36