Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 89955 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #510 on: September 11, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »

That's true.  I think AJ is most likely to be written as a stereotype - the cursing, smoking, womanizing, nailpolish-and-sunglasses-wearing, alcoholic bad boy.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #511 on: September 11, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »

I really hope there is more to him than that. Part of me thinks that's all there really is to AJ. One giant, stereotype lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #512 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:13 PM »

I think people reading my stuff would think Nick or AJ is my favourite as I've written Nick and AJ romance.  AJ is not my type at all (although I love his eyes and his voice), but he's interesting to write as you can make him do anything lol.  But Kevin was always my favourite boy until he left and then Nick took over and now they are both my faves :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #513 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »

I really hope there is more to him than that. Part of me thinks that's all there really is to AJ. One giant, stereotype lol

LOL!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #514 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »

I'm sure people reading my stuff would be able to tell that Nick is my favourite. I don't think I have any stories that don't have him in a leading role - even my one-shots feature him for the most part. It's not that I dislike the others, I just don't find them interesting enough to write about.  

Besides the fact that Nick is the lead, I don't know if my writing actually shows that. My whole attempt with Running Up That Hill was to try and showcase each of the guys equally (besides AJ for obvious reasons). I don't know that I can entirely put my personal feelings about the guys aside when I'm writing - because it's my perception of them that drives how they act in the story.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #515 on: September 15, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »

Not sure if people would guess my favorite from my stories.  I have more Nick centered stories. ..
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #516 on: September 21, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »

This thread is sort of dead but I have a question for you guys that I don't think has been asked yet.

How do you feel about people translating your stories into other languages? I have had two of my fics translated, a BSB one and a 1D one. The BSB one was totally fine, but the 1D one is beginning to bother me a little. Not the translation itself (because I obviously can't understand it), just the way its being handled.

Thoughts?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #517 on: September 21, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »

To my knowledge no one has ever wanted to translate my stuff into another language but as long as it was done properly and not changed at all, I would have no problem with it.

What are they not handling right?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #518 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »

I might be getting annoyed over nothing, but I feel like the story isn't being given proper credit. She has my S/N on the site, but I have asked her to additionally link my name back to the original English version of the story and she hasn't yet. Also when people comment on it and compliment the actual story, I feel like she should at least make some mention of me as the author, but that doesn't happen.

There is also the matter of people commenting on it and saying they read it in English and while the story was good, the writing wasn't so they're happy to see a beautiful translation. That obviously isn't the translator's fault but it's bothering me all the same.

It is entirely possible I am getting annoyed over nothing, but that story was my baby and to feel like someone else getting way more love for it than I did is really upsetting.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #519 on: September 21, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »

Though someone who is able to read it in another (their first?) language may not have gotten English nuances that are better reflected in the other language? I know I've read things in French that have had phrases and such that would have made better sense to me in English.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:03:42 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

usako

« Reply #520 on: September 21, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »

I might be getting annoyed over nothing, but I feel like the story isn't being given proper credit. She has my S/N on the site, but I have asked her to additionally link my name back to the original English version of the story and she hasn't yet. Also when people comment on it and compliment the actual story, I feel like she should at least make some mention of me as the author, but that doesn't happen.

There is also the matter of people commenting on it and saying they read it in English and while the story was good, the writing wasn't so they're happy to see a beautiful translation. That obviously isn't the translator's fault but it's bothering me all the same.

It is entirely possible I am getting annoyed over nothing, but that story was my baby and to feel like someone else getting way more love for it than I did is really upsetting.

My situation is a little different since I translate my own stories from Italian to English. I think Julilly is right in saying that they might understand it better in their own language opposite to when they read it in English. The translating process isn't translating word per word but trying to translate the image or the situation or the general idea of what the author wanted to say, hence why most of the time Google translator sucks because it translate word for word, without giving importance to the context.
For example, it has happened a lot of time that I've to add things, words or entire sentences when I was translating because I wanted to give the perfect idea.
So, to answer your question, I don't think I'll ever be quite alright with someone else translating my stories because I can't control how they would translate them. It'll be flattering but... no, I wouldn't be able not to check it and have a say. LOL

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:47:02 PM by usako »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #521 on: September 21, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »

That's a good point, how would you ever know that they were properly reflecting the imagery or feelings that you'd originally written without being able to read it? That would be awkward.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #522 on: September 21, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »

I let someone translate Curtain Call to include on a Portuguese fanfic site, and I was fine with it because she promised to credit it back to me.  I figured it would open my writing up to a wider audience, which is always a good thing.  Unfortunately, she never got past Chapter 4 in translating it, so that's all that's there.  Luckily, there is a link to my site and the original story on my site, so readers can get to the English version if they want to continue reading it.

You guys make good points about the quality of the translation.  From what I can tell without speaking Portuguese, it seems like my story was translated not word-for-word like the online translators would do, but for meaning, because when I translate it back into English, it's not written the way same way I wrote it, but similar enough that the meaning is still there.

I would allow more translations, as long as I was credited and my original, English version of the story linked.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #523 on: September 22, 2013, 06:20:45 AM »

I think I'd be OK with it, as long as I was mentioned as the writer and no one else was trying to claim it was their work.

Steph, they probably meant that they were able to understand it better in their own language.  No one could say your writing isn't good!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #524 on: September 22, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »

Thanks guys, that makes sense! I didn't even think about them not totally getting the English nuances if it wasn't their native language.

I'm trying to think of another question to ask in here but nothing is coming to me lol
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36