Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Definitive BSB Album Ranking Thread  (Read 2561 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Definitive BSB Album Ranking Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 12:56:24 PM »

Go DNA!  That's what I realized, too; I don't have any true "skip songs" on DNA if I'm listening to the whole album, but I will skip about half the songs if they come up on my random BSB playlist while I'm driving just because they're kind of boring... but they're not bad, so I definitely wouldn't give them 1s or 0s.  And the rest of the album is straight 4s.

I've always loved NG, but I will say as a whole album, I don't think it has held up as well as the ones before it.  It has some of my favorite BSB songs of all time on it, but a lot of the other tracks fall into the "pleasant, but boring" camp for me.  I like them fine, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 10:55:25 PM »

It's the divisiveness of some of them, I think. The good songs are amazing, but the less good ones are just... well not as good.

I noticed I've ranked a lot higher overall than everyone else. Maybe I'm not being critical as much as I should be, haha.

Y'all will be please to know that I did skip "She's A Dream" in the car today, but nothing else, lol.

Here's a pattern I've noticed, we all pretty much think that the end of B&B is a bit of a let down compared to the beginning. Why is this?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 12:40:34 AM »

I based my ratings mostly on my listening patterns when I'm driving around with my master BSB playlist on, which songs I always listen to and which ones I sometimes skip when it's on shuffle.  Skipping doesn't necessarily mean I don't like the song, just that I'm not always in the mood to hear it.  I think that's why mine are overall lower than most people's.  I gave my 4s sparingly LOL.

She's a Dream is the worst BSB song ever, at least among the officially released ones.  (Sorry, Rose. LOL)

I would say the back half of most of the albums is not as good as the front half (other than NG, Unbreakable, and IAWLT, in my opinion).  They tend to frontload them with the best songs/singles and put more of the ballads toward the end.  I usually prefer midtempos and upbeat songs to ballads.  Although How Did I Fall in Love With You is one of my all-time favorite BSB songs, easily top ten if not top five, so that makes B&B worth listening to all the way to the end.  But Yes I Will and It's True are boring LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 04:48:01 AM »

This is probably very sad, but I actually have to go back and listen to some of these DNA songs because I honestly do t remember them. Like, I can’t remember which one was the a capella one I loved. I mean some I remember but most just vaguely. I haven’t listened to any of these in a long long time especially since I no longer have long car rides. That used to be my prime listening time.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

Breathe is the a capella song. :)

I hear you.  The car is my prime music listening space too.  I almost always listen to music while I'm on the computer too.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »

I thought it was called Breathe but I was thrown off because it’s not on your song list for DNA. I knew it was a one word song so I thought it was Chances but that didn’t sound right either.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »

I updated mine and Millennium is still number one but DNA tied with Nevergone for second place.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 01:08:17 PM »

OMG You're right!  LOL How did that happen?  It's literally the same track number as Breathe on IAWLT.  Oh well, I fixed it!  Sorry, Breathe.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »

I thought it was called Breathe but I was thrown off because it’s not on your song list for DNA. I knew it was a one word song so I thought it was Chances but that didn’t sound right either.

OMG You're right!  LOL How did that happen?  It's literally the same track number as Breathe on IAWLT.  Oh well, I fixed it!  Sorry, Breathe.

It's confusing because they have two Breathes. Why Boys? I hope they do more a cappella songs in the future; they're just beautiful every time.

I based my ratings mostly on my listening patterns when I'm driving around with my master BSB playlist on, which songs I always listen to and which ones I sometimes skip when it's on shuffle.  Skipping doesn't necessarily mean I don't like the song, just that I'm not always in the mood to hear it.  I think that's why mine are overall lower than most people's.  I gave my 4s sparingly LOL.

She's a Dream is the worst BSB song ever, at least among the officially released ones.  (Sorry, Rose. LOL)

I would say the back half of most of the albums is not as good as the front half (other than NG, Unbreakable, and IAWLT, in my opinion).  They tend to frontload them with the best songs/singles and put more of the ballads toward the end.  I usually prefer midtempos and upbeat songs to ballads.  Although How Did I Fall in Love With You is one of my all-time favorite BSB songs, easily top ten if not top five, so that makes B&B worth listening to all the way to the end.  But Yes I Will and It's True are boring LOL.

That makes sense and that's a good way to do it. Since in a limited time frame, there's probably more to skip. I am more critical of the songs on my drive to work, versus like a drive to the airport or something where I'll have loads of time to listen.

You're right, they typically load the front end. I wish they didn't. I think as far as album flow, I'm Taking Off is superb because the "skippable" songs are interspersed rather than backend heavy. At first I thought, maybe it would be better to have great songs in the beginning and end, then good to okay songs in the middle, but I think a middle slump wouldn't be great either. Whereas something like I'm Taking Off has them mixed up more, so it still feels like listening to most of the album. But that's only tangentially related to Backstreet albums.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »

That makes sense and that's a good way to do it. Since in a limited time frame, there's probably more to skip. I am more critical of the songs on my drive to work, versus like a drive to the airport or something where I'll have loads of time to listen.

You're right, they typically load the front end. I wish they didn't. I think as far as album flow, I'm Taking Off is superb because the "skippable" songs are interspersed rather than backend heavy. At first I thought, maybe it would be better to have great songs in the beginning and end, then good to okay songs in the middle, but I think a middle slump wouldn't be great either. Whereas something like I'm Taking Off has them mixed up more, so it still feels like listening to most of the album. But that's only tangentially related to Backstreet albums.

That's exactly it.  When I'm on my way to work, I only want to listen to songs I really love.  The drive takes about 20 minutes, so I only have time for about 5-7 songs - they better be good ones!  So I will skip more than I do if I'm just listening to albums in order on a long drive.  If DWLYN or Siberia pops up on shuffle, I feel like it's going to be a good day LOL.

I agree with you about I'm Taking Off; that's a great example.  If anything, that is one where the majority of my skip songs are in the middle, but then you have Falling Down right smack dab in the middle to break up the boring ones.  My two favorites on that album are Burning Up and I'm Taking Off, though, so I think the beginning and end are best.

I actually used to start Never Gone at Track 8 (Climbing the Walls) because that began the best part of the album for me.  I would listen to the last five songs first so I wouldn't have to wait the whole album to get to Siberia, then let it repeat back to Incomplete (also one of my favorites) and play from the beginning.  The only true skip song for me on NG is Poster Girl, but the more boring songs are also toward the middle.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 06:47:11 PM »

That's exactly it.  When I'm on my way to work, I only want to listen to songs I really love.  The drive takes about 20 minutes, so I only have time for about 5-7 songs - they better be good ones!  So I will skip more than I do if I'm just listening to albums in order on a long drive.  If DWLYN or Siberia pops up on shuffle, I feel like it's going to be a good day LOL.

I agree with you about I'm Taking Off; that's a great example.  If anything, that is one where the majority of my skip songs are in the middle, but then you have Falling Down right smack dab in the middle to break up the boring ones.  My two favorites on that album are Burning Up and I'm Taking Off, though, so I think the beginning and end are best.

I actually used to start Never Gone at Track 8 (Climbing the Walls) because that began the best part of the album for me.  I would listen to the last five songs first so I wouldn't have to wait the whole album to get to Siberia, then let it repeat back to Incomplete (also one of my favorites) and play from the beginning.  The only true skip song for me on NG is Poster Girl, but the more boring songs are also toward the middle.

I have ten minutes, maybe 15 with traffic, so it would take most of the drive to skip through songs I liked less, so I'll usually just roll with it, lol. (pun intended). But sometimes the playlist plays multiple songs from an album by pure coincidence, so if it's double Millenniums, it feels like I struck gold, lol.

I'd say mine is a mountain range. Up, down, up, down, up. But also same with beginning and end, except my two favorites are probably Not The Other Guy and Falling In Love Again. It's really the 3-5 section I feel most meh about in comparison, lol.

That's funny! I'm mostly just team shuffle unless I pop in the actual CD, then I'll just let it play.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 08:03:33 PM »

I have ten minutes, maybe 15 with traffic, so it would take most of the drive to skip through songs I liked less, so I'll usually just roll with it, lol. (pun intended). But sometimes the playlist plays multiple songs from an album by pure coincidence, so if it's double Millenniums, it feels like I struck gold, lol.

I'd say mine is a mountain range. Up, down, up, down, up. But also same with beginning and end, except my two favorites are probably Not The Other Guy and Falling In Love Again. It's really the 3-5 section I feel most meh about in comparison, lol.

That's funny! I'm mostly just team shuffle unless I pop in the actual CD, then I'll just let it play.

LOL Good point!  Sometimes skipping songs on shuffle to find a 4 takes more time than just listening to a song.  It always makes me laugh when it plays two songs in a row that are back to back on an album.  Or both versions of a song (like QPG or Everybody) back to back.  What are the chances?  (Pun also intended.)

Aww, I also love Not the Other Guy and Falling in Love Again.  And I agree about 3-5.  Addicted is okay, but So Far Away and Special are both skip songs for me.  I have the Japanese version of that album, so I also have Jewel in Our Hearts at the end, which I enjoy because it makes me laugh.  It's such a strange song in English, but I love singing along to it in the car.

I actually have two BSB playlist for the car, one that has all their songs (including B-sides and unreleased songs, solo songs, etc.) in alphabetical order that I usually play on shuffle, and one that has all the albums in order that I listen to in order.  I'm less likely to skip when I'm listening to the album playlist.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 08:52:34 PM »

LOL Good point!  Sometimes skipping songs on shuffle to find a 4 takes more time than just listening to a song.  It always makes me laugh when it plays two songs in a row that are back to back on an album.  Or both versions of a song (like QPG or Everybody) back to back.  What are the chances?  (Pun also intended.)

The other day, I was listening to my old digital list that I somehow managed to get on google music before my computer died and it played every version of QPG back to back that I had, which is a lot because it's the only single I bought both versions of. And as I've mentioned, I adore it, so I had the best time on that drive, lol. I could do the math, but it makes it less fun. So I'll just say that reaping the benefits of the chances was awesome!

Aww, I also love Not the Other Guy and Falling in Love Again.  And I agree about 3-5.  Addicted is okay, but So Far Away and Special are both skip songs for me.  I have the Japanese version of that album, so I also have Jewel in Our Hearts at the end, which I enjoy because it makes me laugh.  It's such a strange song in English, but I love singing along to it in the car.

It's the rise and fall of his voice for different lines in both of them. That and the adorable little uh-ohs. I'm not sure if they're meant to be just random audibles, but I like to think they're literal uh-ohs, because it makes it cuter. :) The only thing that bothers me is why it changes from "you" to "her" in the second verse. Like why is "calling just to hear you breathing" less creepy than "watching you sleep while you're dreaming"? Like at least the girl let him into her bed, calling to hear "breathing" implies he's not saying anything and she's not talking either, lol. While I'm on this mini rant, "speaking" and "breathing" have the same sound, so why not "speaking"? But the song is too good to nitpick while it's on, just here.

Aw, that's the version I bought when I realized I didn't own a hard copy of it. I haven't listened to it from the CD yet though, just digital still.

I actually have two BSB playlist for the car, one that has all their songs (including B-sides and unreleased songs, solo songs, etc.) in alphabetical order that I usually play on shuffle, and one that has all the albums in order that I listen to in order.  I'm less likely to skip when I'm listening to the album playlist.

Hmm... That's smart. I do like the spotify one because it does that and is shuffleable, but its downside is that they call it "The Complete Backstreet Boys" and the Boys (or whoever is in charge of their spotify) made the playlist, but it doesn't have b-sides or the import albums. It's not the complete Backstreet Boys without Backstreet's Back or the red album, Boys!
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 [2]