Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Unable to Respond to Reviews  (Read 35656 times)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Re: Unable to Respond to Reviews
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

Yeah, up, so apparently our efiction DB has overloaded the server.

I'm in talks w/ the server guys to see what we need to do to fix the issue. I'm pretty sure it's going to involve pruning the size of the database, which means...

The bad news: We're likely going to have to prune out a lot of the reviews (which take up more than half of the db space and are the only thing I can think of that would be able to be removed w/o effectively taking down the site). I'm going to copy the DB before doing anything, and will probably TEMPORARILY disable reviews until I have some time this weekend to see if I can come up with something either to save off those reviews somewhere else or [insert some brilliant idea here].

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how many of you still can't access the site? The only way I can get on the site is by clicking on a review or response to a review link. When I try to direct link to the site no matter what I use, I am still getting that site is down message.

Anyone else?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »

Same here, Mare; I'm getting the site is down message.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »

I think the only problem is with the main page at absolutechaos. com.  Maybe Chaos just needs to remove the message.  I got an email about your update, Mare, and tried that link, and it worked fine.  From there, I can get to the rest of the site like normal.  It's only if I go to just absolutechaos. net that I see the down message.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »

You know what's weird? On my phone I get the message. When I go on my computer I access it just fine. Weirdness.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

usako

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »

To me it's the opposite. On my phone, it works fine and I don't get the message; when I try with my computer, I get the message.  :crazy:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »

Gotta love the internet, such a weird thing! Hopefully when Ash sees this, he'll remove that message.

*raises bat signal again*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:53:47 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »

The message is gone. The host apparently opened the site to all without telling me they'd done so (not complaining, of course, except that it would've been good to know so I could remove the message...). Just so ya'll know, I've had to TEMPORARILY remove the reviews so we don't overload the server again. They're still there, just not reachable for the moment. They'll be back as soon as the site is moved.

I'm close to deciding on a new host, so hopefully the move will be soon and we'll be on a server with better resources and won't have to worry about similar outages.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »

Yep, the main page works again!  Thanks for the update, Ash!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

Anyone who hasn't made an update thread, now would probably be a good time to do it so this way people can come in and leave you reviews that way until the review function is back up and running soon-ish I guess. lol

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »

Anyone else not able to access the "manage your stories" link?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »

It appears that the move to the new server was successful! You might want to go over to AC and see if you can access everything and if you can't, comment in the news item Ash left so he knows what's working and what's not.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »

Interestingly, it appears that some posts on the forum from today have disappeared.  I'm sure that had to do with the move.  Very small price to pay, I say. I know this because a couple of the poste were mine. lol.  Apparently I DID break it again.  :'(

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »

Same here, Emily! I was just telling Julilly, everything that posted after I came home from school seems to have disappeared as if it was all some kind of dream! :(

Ironically one of those was me asking you if you broke AC again! LOL

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »

I saw that.  AND responded to it.  See? Broke it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5