Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109638 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 05:51:25 AM »

That's a great question, but it requires some major thinking. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »

I know I am guilty of always doing this which is why I asked in the first place. I'll almost always look at the suspense angle of everything even when there is not an ounce of suspense anywhere to be found in the story. I might concentrate on something like why someone said what they said or if something is mentioned in a room I might think "hrmm that's weird she mentioned a cat toy without mentioning a cat. Maybe something sinister is going to happen involving a dead pet?" lol

I do notice people doing that as well, just like Julie said above. I've noticed it more with this new one then anything else I've ever written. The medical people focus on Nick's issues, the romance people focus on the happier elements, and then the suspense horror people want those wolves to come and that damn fire poker to be used! LOL

I'm one of those who wanted the wolves to nibble on someone and for Tim to get battered with the fire poker lol.

I'm not sure what kind of reviews I leave, it depends on what I'm reading really.  I know that I like to try and guess what's going to happen.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »

Stephen King was on The View today and they ran down a list asking him "where did you get the idea for..." So my question is this - what was your most unusual bit of inspiration, something that lead you to include it either as a major plot point or small addition to a story?

The song Resistance by Muse inspired me to write a World War 2 story set in Poland about a Jewish couple torn apart and later reunited just in time to be executed in the gas chamber (morbid, I know!)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »

^ that sounds like a great story! Is an OF? Is it online somewhere?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »

It's not online, it's kind of OF.  I did originally write it with the guy being called Jason (from Take That), but it's not a Take That story and he was nothing like him either, it's far too AU to have been him. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »

Well, it sounds like a great and very sad, depressing plot! LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »

LOL it was! I'm quite proud of that story :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »

I have a few answers to the where did you get the idea for... question.

One night while watching Grey's Anatomy or a show like that, one of the doctors said "They aren't out of the woods yet but it looks like they'll make it." and it got me thinking about where that saying might have come from. What if before people died or were in a coma they were literally in the woods and had to fight to get out of them in order to survive? And hence the story Shadow Woods was born. :)

Beautiful Girl came about after seeing how far some fans tended to take their obsession with the boys. This is when I used to frequent LD on a daily basis and was sometimes scared to death by some of the things I would see posted. I kind of based her on an amalgam of some of the more obsessive fans of all the boys but Howie, Brian and Nick in particular.

Protect and Serve came about because I had always wanted to write a story where Nick was a really little kid but to make it believable I had to have it be an AU and nothing was more appealing to me than the thought of Kevin as an FBI agent so I went with it. LOL

Why I'd Do it all Again came about because I always wondered what it would be like to follow them around 24/7. I was tired of never knowing the answers to some of the questions I had about their lives so I figured I'd just make it happen myself.

Hope happened because of all the talk about lack of a good old fashioned bus crash story or medical drama. I thought it would be fun to combine them both into one and then alternate pairings to make everyone happy.

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any right now. LOL I might be back.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »

on AC you guys were all talking about cranberry sauce one time, I found it funny so apparently it has become a running gag for me. I have used it twice so far. Once in my 1000 Ways entry reindeer games....he got run over by a reindeer because.he just had to have canned cranberry sauce. Th  other time was in Finding Carter during Christmas.dinn er at the Littrells house.

The AC forum gives me quite a bit of inspiration these days :)

usako

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 02:26:48 AM »

I've finally a question to make. Wow, my first. lol

Thanks to the last episode of Glee, I went back into the fanfiction fandom. One of the most popular one is called "Little Numbers", it's a Klaine (Kurt/Blaine) and it's narrated only through text messages. I've tried to read it but I've never understood why it's so popular because it lacks of everything since you can't describe situation or scene through a text message. (it's so popular that some have tweeted and asked Ryan Murphy if he ever read it. O.o) So, my question is: what would you think about a story that uses only text messages? Would you ever write one?

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 03:22:01 AM »

Hell no!
I really feel I need to describe the surroundings and stuff for a scene or story to be considered good in my mind.
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 04:37:05 AM »

Hrmm I'm kind of torn on that one. I think depending on the skill of the writer, that might actually work. The idea itself is pretty creative when you think about it, but it's all in the execution. I mean there is a way you can be descriptive enough to convey emotion within a conversation. In that way it's really no different from reading a script format or simply dialogue. I remember once I issued a dialogue challenge on the forum where you had to write an entire short story ONLY using dialogue and an admission from me, when something is too overly wordy and descriptive and I have invested time in it and want to know what happens, my eyes go straight to the dialogue to help move the chapter along. Kind of like this answer is being too overly wordy lol

So, to sum up, if it was written by an author I knew was pretty good and the the plot itself seemed worth it, I'd give it a try, but if there was no substance to it, I'd click away and never look back and shake my head about a missed opportunity. LOL

usako

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 07:00:50 AM »

To answer my own question, I've tried once to write it, though it wasn't text messages but messages left by Brian on Nick's phone. And I admit that, while at first it seemed a great idea, I found myself having to change it and start adding scenes of descriptions and dialogues because I felt I couldn't give the perfect image of what I wanted to say.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 07:52:15 AM »

I imagine writing in texts would be the same as dialogue. I've done that dialogue story challenge twice, once in HS and once with you guys. The one I wrote in HS won an award bc I was still able to paint a picture of the scene without using any description. That's the basis of "show, not tell" after all, just have the characters describe the scene in a way that isn't awkward. So I think a text would work the same!

Also, Tracy, I'm sure with two thanksgiving holidays and Christmas upon us there will be further cranberry arguments/discussions lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »

Thought I'd change the title since we really aren't asking a question of the day anymore LOL

Here's an interesting question: As a writer, when you leave feedback do you tend to leave it from the POV of how you usually write? For instance, if you are a suspense writer and leaving a review for a sci fi writer, do you tend to ask questions about something in the story that might seem unimportant for sci fi but you catch it from your suspense eye?

When you read your reviews, do you ever notice that happening to you? Can you tell when someone outside of the genre you have written is reviewing just based on what they ask and say?

I meant to answer this but haven't yet lol. I think I usually latch on to whatever torture or bad thing that's happening at the moment and LOL. Or I cheer for the villain/fall in love with him like I have with Mare's lately. Which isn't really based on the genre's I write, more that I'm just a touch crazy.

Stephen King was on The View today and they ran down a list asking him "where did you get the idea for..." So my question is this - what was your most unusual bit of inspiration, something that lead you to include it either as a major plot point or small addition to a story?

Most unusual? That's a good one. Probably 1000 Ways To Kill Nick Carter. That literally came from twitter and me thinking since so many authors are mean to Nick we should just turn him into "Kenny" and kill him repeatedly LOL. 00Carter came from talking about hot cocoa while trying to defeat Tanja... and RMTW was literally a "what if" that came from nowhere LOL.

A lot of 00Carter is virtually random things we decide to mock LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44