Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109878 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »

If you go to your Account Info, then View Your Statistics, then click on your number of stories, and then click View Chapters at the top, you can scroll through and see the number of reviews for each chapter pretty quickly.

My most reviewed chapter is Chapter 1 of Curtain Call with 37 reviews, which I think is a combination of people legitimately reviewing the first chapter and also people submitting a review for the whole story after finishing it, since those go to Chapter 1 by default.  Curious to see who else's is a first chapter for the same reason.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »

I have a feeling most will say chapter one for that very reason. I know I always tend to have the most reviews my first chapter so maybe we should also go with most reviews that isn't a first chapter? 
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »

That's a good point!  I think last chapters tend to get a lot of reviews, too.

My most-reviewed chapters that weren't first chapters were also for Curtain Call; there were four of them that tied with 20 reviews each:  Chapter 9, Chapter 35, Chapter 45, and Chapter 55.  9 and 55 were both big moments in the story, and 45 was the lead-up to a big moment, so I can understand why those got so many reviews.  Not sure why 35 did.  It was a cute chapter, but nothing special.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »

Oh, I forgot about this. Going to go check now.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »

Okay well for first chapters two of my stories tied.

A Million Little Things and Protect and Serve both had 27 reviews for first chapter with What Lurks Around the Corner coming in with 26. I was kind of happily surprised about Protect and Serve. I thought Why I'd Do It All Again would have been up there.

As far as non first chapters - chapter 28 of Why I'd Do it All Again had the most at 19. It's the stunt sandwich chapter where Nick accidentally throws his cellphone out the window and then falls out the window when he tries to get it. Everyone loved this chapter.

Chapters 45 (The Midnight Adventures of Nick and Brian) & 48 (The Corner Deli Eye Rolls Have It!) of Why had 18 each

The deli one was also a chapter that many of you talked about which might have sparked people clicking on it out of curiosity. Where the boys are all eating at the deli and Nick is caught with a shake. I'm not sure why the Nick and Brian one was as popular, maybe because it's Nick and Brian? Who knows.

I had a lot of stories that had 17 reviews on certain chapters but they aren't labeled and I was too lazy to read them to see what they were all about. LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2014, 05:18:00 AM »

Figured You Out has several chapters with 13 and 14 reviews each. The chapters with many reviews are more towards the end but not at the very end which was surprising.

I think because those chapters were probably where Nick was being tortured, thar could be why LOL. It's always a reader grabber.

For a follow up question, what story of yours has the most reviews and which.has the least?

For me Figured You Out has 300+ and the second would be You Give Love A Bad Name which has almost 150.

The least reviewed are always challenge stories and one shots because they are one chapter each.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

I am just going to go by novels.

The most is Why I'd do it all Again with 692

the least is hard because a lot of my novels I transferred over to this site long after they were originally written so while they got a lot of reviews there, they got next to none on this site. So I'm going to go with one that I posted here as I was writing and that was The Lion's Den with 82.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

My most reviewed chapter that isn't a first chapter is Chapter 32 of Forever Like This, "The Malibu House." That was the one where Nick died. People didn't like that lol

Forever Like This is also my story with the most reviews at 235. The novel with the least is My Happy Ending with 140.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »

My most reviewed story is Curtain Call with 1,245!  My least reviewed novel is Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic with 1 review, but I think I posted that all in one day.  Like Mare said, I added a lot of my older stories to AC long after they'd been posted on my site, so they don't have many reviews.  I actually only have one other finished novel that was posted as I was writing it, and that's Secrets of the Heart.  It has 135 reviews.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #264 on: March 12, 2014, 06:19:16 AM »

My highest reviewed chapter is Chapter One of Song For The Undead. Part of it is probably because it's a first chapter and the title we had at the time was so vague because we didn't reveal it was going to be a zombie story.

Non first chapter is the Epilogue of RMTW with 17. Probably because it's the end cause I had several reviews on that from people who read it in one sitting or hadn't reviewed in a bit dropping in to give feed back. Not not counting last chapters then it's Chapter Ten of RMTW with 15 reviews. I looked to see why and I honestly don't get it LOL. The beginning was Nick in the studio recording "Scream", and the second half was their actual soundcheck. Maybe it's because of the question I wrote a fan asking, about what he'd remember most about being a BSB because at this point of the story only Kevin knew and he wasn't on tour with them. I don't know.

As for most reviewed story it's Song For The Undead which has 627. The other one is RMTW which has 487.

The least I'm gonna go with one that has a substantial number of chapters. In my early days here I had a horrible habit of starting too many ideas without following through. And while I haven't deleted them I have several from like 2002 with less than ten chapters that weren't even remotely close to being finished.

So the least is Divisions of Reality which was an old sci-fi collaboration that while its like 25 chapters in my cowriter dropped out and I tried to keep it going but never kept up with. It only has 31 reviews and I feel like part of it was A) it's a sci-fi, and B) you could really tell who wrote what. It made it choppy looking back and I've grown a lot since then. I was like 15/16 while the majority of that thing was being written LOL.

The least reviewed finished story (not counting oneshots) is Walked Out Of My Dreams which had 70. It was only 15 chapters however and a more Brian centered story, so considering those I feel like it did well.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #265 on: March 12, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »

What is it that makes a story truly interesting to you? For instance if you like one type of story will you read it no matter what? Suspense, angst, slash etc...

I love a great suspense/action fic and of course bromances and even though I might click on most of the ones I come across I won't necessarily read them all the way through.

I think for me, it's depth of character.

I have to really feel the emotions of the characters and feel like their personalities have been caught in a way that I find interesting and appealing to make me want to really continue on. If the the boys are flat and one note and the plot is too predictable, I find myself losing interest. It's the thought of "Where are they taking this?" that makes me continue. If I can guess that within the first few chapters or find myself caring less and less about the answer as we go on, then you've lost me.

jess20

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #266 on: March 12, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »

Bromance is a must for me but it has to be very specific bromance. I can't have death being the main theme and no romance. I like action/adventure too...and that's about it. LOL. Lucky for me, Mare has the library in what I go for :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »

LOL thanks, Jess!

What you said is a good example of what I'm talking about because normally I would never read a story where Nick is dead from the beginning but I am currently doing just that because it's so well written and the author has done a great job with depth of character. Will I finish it? Unsure depends on where it goes but if the boys personalities weren't captured as well as they are, I probably wouldn't have gotten past the first chapter.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »

You all know I love medical drama!  I am drawn to any story that includes medical drama - Backstreet Boys being injured, getting sick, etc.  That said, it has to be well-written and believable.  It doesn't work if I don't care what happens to the characters, and if the medical info is blatantly made-up instead of well-researched, it becomes more of a joke than a serious story.  I'm always entertained by medical dramas, but I'll be honest:  sometimes that entertainment comes from mocking the bad ones.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »

Mare, your last post brings up another question.

What is something you normally wouldn't read (a certain genre, storyline, lead character, etc.)?  Have you ever actually read that kind of story?  If so, what got you to read it?  If not, what would it take to get you to read it?
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44