Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109627 times)

jess20

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »

Mare, I know which story you're talking about. I read the first chapter, absolutely fell in love with the writing but couldn't continue - I'm a massive sook lol. I wanted to leave a review but I didn't exactly know how that would be taken. Like "Hey, love your writing, but can't continue because I can't do death fics", kind of like a slap in the face. I hope she writes stuff more my genre though!

Julie, I wouldn't read romance, I wouldn't read storylines with one of the main characters being dead the whole way through and I wouldn't read a a fic with AJ or Brian as the lead (sorry guys). I did read a Brian centred story once, but I never finished it. I have never read a romance but I have read stories where romance is in there but it's not the main theme. I stumbled on mpreg once when I was reading HP fics - that was weird lol and kinda funny.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »

Mpreg is one subgenre I just don't really "get."  I feel like I may have stumbled across that in HP fanfic first, too, before I ever saw it in BSB, but I may be remembering wrong.  There's a lot of weird stuff on fanfiction.net LOL.

I don't think there's anything I absolutely won't read, though I find things like mpreg and slash hard to take seriously.  The suspension of disbelief factor prevents me from fully enjoying those storylines.

I always used to think I would never be able to get into an AU, but I've found that when an AU is well-written and the Boys are portrayed as the same guys we love who just happen to be living different lives, I can buy into it.  "Between the Lines" is the story that changed my mind about AU, though it took me at least two tries to really give that one a chance.

I'm also not a big fan of sci-fi or fantasy, but every once in awhile I come across one that is well-written and interesting without being too "out there" for me to enjoy.  "On Nightingale Hill" comes to mind.

I will read romance if there is a bigger, more interesting storyline to accompany it, or if the characters are so compelling that I actually don't mind just reading about their relationship - a rarity for me, but it has been known to happen.  My favorite fanfic is "Cover Me With Dreams," which is Romance with a capital R, but it has the right combination of good writing,  dynamic characters, subplots, and plenty of drama to keep me interested.  That one changed the way I viewed romance.

I also don't usually read Kevin or Howie-centered stories, but I will if they're paired with Brian or Nick (in a non-slashy way) or maybe if it's a medical drama.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:29:14 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:24 AM »

I have pretty much tried just about everything, even if I didn't make it all the way through them. I noticed that when I have to do too much suspension of belief while reading, it ends up being something I don't enjoy and for me that's M-preg, slash, sci-fi fantasy and AU. But in every genre, there have been some standouts just because of the writing. Which brings the point that no matter what the genre, if it's truly well written and the characters are dynamic enough, you'll get readers. Case in point, "Yesterday's Blue Skies" which is a sci-fi AU. Love that one!

There are several things I shy away from but if they are written by people I know to be very talented I'm more apt to click on it then I am by people who I have never heard of. Starting that reading challenge was the smartest thing I have ever done for this forum I think. I know I would have never checked out Emily's stuff and I would have missed out on her great writing style for one.

I know from experience that AJ and Brian bore me to tears in most fanfics so I tend to stay away from stories where they are the main characters. In fact, the same can be said for Howie. Nick, Kevin or group fics are the ones I enjoy the best no matter what genre. It's more about the boy. Romance as long as it's boy centered and not girl centered I am more apt to at least try depending on the author. And all the boys have to be in it, not just the one.

AU I avoid unless the boys are brothers or all doing the same thing as five people and not scattered all over the place. If they aren't portrayed as their real ages (like making Nick the oldest and Kevin the youngest or all of them quintuplets etc..) I'm not interested. I do get the fun of writing those kinds of stories because I do it myself and it really gives you freedom as a writer to be uber creative but as a reader, I skip them. Although the exception is "On The Rails." I LOVE that story and it has everything I hate! But again, the writing is so strong it's worth it.

I also stay away from overly gory or angsty stories where it involves a death. (I really am picky lol) but again, if they are really well written I'm on board, minus the gore. I'll never be on board with gore! Maybe a random scene at the most but not an entire story.

I guess I feel the same way about comedy too. That one's a tricky genre because it can so easily go the way of too stupid. I'm more of a dramedy person.

Oh and also...

LMAO kidding. I think by now we have all established that I'm a picky reader.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »

Mare, I know which story you're talking about. I read the first chapter, absolutely fell in love with the writing but couldn't continue - I'm a massive sook lol. I wanted to leave a review but I didn't exactly know how that would be taken. Like "Hey, love your writing, but can't continue because I can't do death fics", kind of like a slap in the face. I hope she writes stuff more my genre though!

Julie, I wouldn't read romance, I wouldn't read storylines with one of the main characters being dead the whole way through and I wouldn't read a a fic with AJ or Brian as the lead (sorry guys). I did read a Brian centred story once, but I never finished it. I have never read a romance but I have read stories where romance is in there but it's not the main theme. I stumbled on mpreg once when I was reading HP fics - that was weird lol and kinda funny.

Yeah, I know what you mean, Jess. I am always second guessing myself when it comes to leaving reviews like that which is another great question I think.

If you commit to reading something and just stop, do you bother to explain to the author why? Or do you just kind of shrug it off? Because I know for me as the author I'll spend so much time wondering why people who always reviewed just suddenly stopped, it sometimes sucks the fun out of it for me. I personally would love someone to come in and say something like that in a review. If for no other reason, I'm not left hanging and wondering why. I know that's just me but what do some of you think?

I have done it for some and for others I have just stopped with no explanation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:28:21 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »

I usually don't leave reviews to explain why I won't be leaving any more reviews.  If I stop reading or fall behind because I'm busy or because the author updates so infrequently that it's hard to follow the story, I'll tell the author that, but I don't think I've ever left a review that was like, "I just don't like this anymore" or "I've lost interest."  Maybe I should?

I dunno, have any of you ever gotten reviews like that?  If so, do you appreciate knowing the truth, even if the truth hurts?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2014, 02:39:27 AM »

I guess it's all in the wording. If I stopped reading something because it was just not a good story, chances are the author never knew I was reading in the first place. I tend to not leave a review unless I feel like I can commit to a story. If I stop reading just because I don't have the time, I don't really mind letting the author know that especially if they complain about lack of reviews, although I've also noticed when I hear that those people rarely ever do go back to reading and finishing it off, I know I'm guilty of that. For something else, like "I really was enjoying this story but then it became female centered and I just can't get into that." I truly believe something like that isn't offensive to the author but just really honest. I know some people can take it and some can't. I wouldn't mind reading a review like that personally.

"I really thought this was great but I had to stop because I couldn't take all the cliffhangers." Or "I'm just not into reading about the villain's point of view." or "There's not enough Brian and AJ..." which tends to be me. lol

I think it's less offensive then someone who just stops without explanation but I'm also weird like that. 9 out of 10 times though someone might say "I still have been reading but just not reviewing." However weird that one is, at least it's an explanation lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:43:34 AM by mare »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #276 on: March 16, 2014, 05:17:33 AM »

Is it really that noticeable when someone stops reviewing? I honestly don't think I would be able to be like "oh, so-and-so hasn't reviewed the last couple chapters" I'm so not observant enough to remember who has reviewed what chapters.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »

I am talking about people who review every single chapter not so much the random people who come in and out or review here or there because that's what you expect with them. I think it's fair to say that everyone kind of counts on their regular reviewers. I think we all have them. Those 1 or more people who review every single chapter of your story. When they suddenly stop it's a downer. At least to me because I look forward to hearing their thoughts. When there are no more thoughts to hear you can't help but wonder why.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #278 on: March 16, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »

I definitely notice when people stop reading and to be honest it kind of demotivates me, especially if it is more than one person. One person I will likely not notice but I often get discouraged. I know that sounds dumb. I haven't been able to write in a while because I keep trying too hard. I find it hard to even get motivated to write lately and I feel bad for the stories I have left unfinished.

Is there a way I can get my inspiration back, anyone have any suggestions? Cause I feel like I have tried everything. Have you ever gotten so stuck o. a story you thought about a complete re do?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

I have gotten those honest reviews that explain why someone won't be reading anymore, and I guess it is nice to know the reason why.  I don't take offense to that, but I also don't get offended when someone stops reading or stops reviewing.  It would only bother me if everyone suddenly stopped LOL.  Then I would be like, "Uh... what did I do wrong?"

Tracy, I've been in the same boat with a lack of motivation and too many unfinished stories.  I've found that while you can force it to some extent, if it doesn't start flowing after that, it's best to just take a break and move on to something else, whether it's a different story or a different project altogether.  I hate leaving stories unfinished too, but we write for fun.  We shouldn't put too much pressure on ourselves with deadlines or quotas; we should just write what we want, when we went, and not worry about it so much.  So if you're stuck on a certain story and not having fun with it anymore, admit that and move on.  You can always come back to it later if your inspiration returns, and sometimes it will after you've walked away from it for awhile.

~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »

I am talking about people who review every single chapter not so much the random people who come in and out or review here or there because that's what you expect with them. I think it's fair to say that everyone kind of counts on their regular reviewers. I think we all have them. Those 1 or more people who review every single chapter of your story. When they suddenly stop it's a downer. At least to me because I look forward to hearing their thoughts. When there are no more thoughts to hear you can't help but wonder why.

I don't think I have ever had regular reviewers other than you guys lol that's probably why I have never noticed!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »

I don't think I have ever had regular reviewers other than you guys lol that's probably why I have never noticed!

Ah yes, well that makes sense then. lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

Something that I just won't read is male pregnancy lol.  I used to say slash, but I've since read one or two which were really good, but that doesn't mean I'm into slash in any way.

There are stories which I've started reading and have every intention to carry on with, I just haven't had a lot of time for reading recently and am unable to read in work anymore, which sucks because I used to do the majority of my reading whilst in work lol.

Most reviewed chapter would have to be chapter 3 of Save A Prayer which had 12 reviews :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »

This forum has been way too dead lately!

Here's a new topic to discuss:  Have you ever written a story that attracted a completely different groups of readers than your regulars?  Why do you think that was?  Have you ever gone outside of your box to try to attract different readers?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »

I don't know if I've ever attracted a completely different group of readers from my normal ones. I tend to have a few faithful people that tend to read whatever I write but I have noticed that from time to time, depending on the story, I might get a few people who are more vocal than others. I really wish there was a way we could monitor who is reading besides just going by reviews because we know how people sometimes just don't bother to say anything. I have a feeling we'd all be surprised by some of the people who read our stuff that we might think do not.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44