Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109875 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »

New questions for you!

If you could only pick one story to represent the writer you have become what would you choose and why?

As a reader, do you agree with the picks your favorite authors chose? Or would you pick something different by them?

On the opposite side of this - what is one the one story in your catalog that you feel is least like the writer you are today?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #301 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »

Good questions!

I would pick Curtain Call because I think it best represents me as a writer currently.  It fits my niche of medical drama with a hint of romance, it has strong characters, and I think it's one of my best-written stories up to this point.

The story in my catalog that is least like the writer I am today is an old one called "The Other Child."  It's not posted on AC, but it's on my archive site.  I wrote it in 2001, and it was my first AU.  It was a twist on one of those "long lost sibling" stories (which I hate, btw) about Brian having a sister, only he was the long lost one, having been abducted as a child so he never became a Backstreet Boy.  The idea was not mine; it was given to me by a reader, and so it never totally felt like my story.  I got bored writing it and threw an ending on it just so I could be done, and you can tell.  It's not very well-written and doesn't reflect me as a writer at all.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #302 on: June 12, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »

I guess I would say Finding Carter for myself because that story I did a lot of research and it was one of my best stories. I took a lot of time developing the characters. Plus it is AU which is my strength.

As for least....i would say When I Grow Up because it was a side project.  Something i just threw together for fun and it wasnt very well written like my other work. 

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #303 on: June 12, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »

I have a hard time narrowing it down to one. I almost want to name two. But if I'm sticking to one is say Remember Me This Way shows where I am currently. It's a bromance, I torture the hell out of Nick, and the emotional aspect is very strong in that one. Runner up is Undead due to the gore, the horror, and characterizati on.

Least representative is by far this half finished romance called Rehab. It's a mess and honestly I don't know what I was thinking beyond the fact Just Another Day had gone well so I thought I could pull off romance twice? Definitely not lmao. Bad idea, bad writing, and you can tell I got to a point where I was just over it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »

You know, I come up with these questions and then I have the hardest time answering them. LOL

I honestly am not sure if there's one novel I have written that represents me completely. I think if I combined two of them they would but that would also be cheating. Writing wise, I would probably go with Hope Is the Last Thing Ever Lost. I believe my writing was at it's best for that story and pretty much captures what I'm all about. Telling the story from all five points of view. Putting a lot of twists, turns, action and suspense in there. Having a good, old fashioned psychopath that hopefully people were sympathetic with and of course tons of mean cliffhangers along the way. The only thing missing from this one that I feel also is a very big part of me is humor. Not too many haha moments in this one, but I'm choosing it anyway!

As far as the one least like me, I'd probably have to go with Comedy of Errors. I would hate to have someone read that ridiculous hot mess and think it was all I'm capable of. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »

With all the talk of old stories lately, here's a few questions for you.

Is there a 'classic' story you have always wanted to read but never have gotten around to?

Is there a 'classic' story you have read because everyone recommended it but when you read it, you didn't like it?

Name five stories you consider 'classics' and why you think people should check them out.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:13 PM »

Good questions.  I think I have read or at least tried to read every classic that sounded appealing to me, but maybe reading other people's answers will remind me of some I haven't.

One classic story I finally read after seeing it nominated everywhere back in the day was "A Tale of Two Popstars," and while it was better than it sounded, I didn't like it after I found out that the author had posted like five other versions of the exact same story featuring different boyband members (from other boybands).  That just made it feel so cheap and ruined the characterizati on for me.

My top five classics would be:

1. Where Can We Go From Here - the bus crash story that started 'em all!  A little cheesy, but still worth the read, if only for the extreme Millennium-era nostalgia it will bring about.  It's pretty well-written for a Millennium era fanfic, too. 

2. Between the Lines - This is one that I resisted reading for a long time because it's an AU about the Boys being baseball players, which did not sound like something I'd be interested in, but I ended up reading it for Mare's fanfic club and LOVED it!  It's actually one of the best-written fanfics I've ever read and about way more than baseball.

3. Cover Me With Dreams - Another story that took me a couple of tries to get into, I finally read this one at a reader's recommendation and, again, LOVED it!  It's probably my favorite fanfic of all time.  It's a great romance, but again, it's about more than just that.  I love the characters, and it's very well-written!

4. Faceless - I know Mare hates this story (in fact, this may be her answer to #2 LOL), and I can understand why, but it's still an old favorite of mine.  It's basically like a fanfic version of Beauty and the Beast about Nick going into hiding after a horrific, fiery crash leaves him badly scarred.

5. Signal to Noise - One of the best suspense stories of all time!  It's about a psycho stalking the Backstreet Boys, using their song lyrics as threats online, and trying to take them down one by one.

Links to all of these stories and more can be found on my favorites page here: http://dreamers-sanctuary.com/stories/favorites/

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »

4. Faceless - I know Mare hates this story (in fact, this may be her answer to #2 LOL), and I can understand why, but it's still an old favorite of mine.  It's basically like a fanfic version of Beauty and the Beast about Nick going into hiding after a horrific, fiery crash leaves him badly scarred.

*nods* lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »

A follow-up question that came to mind as I was thinking of classics was, what qualifies as a "classic" in your mind?  Does it have to be a story of a certain age?  If so, where do you draw the line?  If not, what constitutes a newer classic?

I tend to draw the line around 2003, but hell, that's 11 years ago!  I think that's just my own personal cut off because it coincides with a major change in my life, graduating high school and starting college, as well as me coming into my own as a fanfic writer.  I tend to divide my own work into two eras, pre-Broken and post-Broken, since Broken is the first truly popular story I wrote and was a lot better than anything I'd written before it.  Some of you probably weren't even involved with fanfic then, though, so I'm curious to see what you consider classic.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #310 on: June 27, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »

A follow-up question that came to mind as I was thinking of classics was, what qualifies as a "classic" in your mind?  Does it have to be a story of a certain age?  If so, where do you draw the line?  If not, what constitutes a newer classic?

I tend to draw the line around 2003, but hell, that's 11 years ago!  I think that's just my own personal cut off because it coincides with a major change in my life, graduating high school and starting college, as well as me coming into my own as a fanfic writer.  I tend to divide my own work into two eras, pre-Broken and post-Broken, since Broken is the first truly popular story I wrote and was a lot better than anything I'd written before it.  Some of you probably weren't even involved with fanfic then, though, so I'm curious to see what you consider classic.

I was going to make this a fourth questions but decided not to. LOL great minds...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »

I was going to make this a fourth questions but decided not to. LOL great minds...

LOL Indeed!

I also realized after I posted my answer that 2003 was also in the midst of the big hiatus, which separated "Chapter 1" of BSB's career from the Never Gone era and beyond.  When I think classic BSB, I think of their pre-Never Gone albums, so I guess I think of fanfics the same way.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »

Is there a 'classic' story you have always wanted to read but never have gotten around to?

I'm pretty sure all the classics I wanted to read I have. I guess the only one that's still alluded me is that one with Brian and AJ. I can't remember the name of it and I didn't read it because it's Brian and AJ but everyone really seemed to love it. LOL

Is there a 'classic' story you have read because everyone recommended it but when you read it, you didn't like it?

Yeah, Julie was right. I picked Faceless to read for FFF because of the glowing reviews and regretted every single chapter of it, except the first one. I liked the newspaper article. (sorry person who wrote it. I feel bad but I'm sure there's someone out there saying the same thing about my stuff too. lol) I also wasn't a fan of Signal To Noise either though. Too disturbing for me.

Name five stories you consider 'classics' and why you think people should check them out.

1) Ground Zero - probably the best oldie suspense fic out there. Seriously, without reading this one, I'm not sure I would have ever even considered writing.

2) Seven Days - My all time favorite action story. Loved the plot and pace and the villain was awesome as well.

3) Documentaries - My all time favorite short story. Just a really great emo plot. I still think Izzy writes the only AJ I really enjoy reading lol

4) Come Together - The best how the band got together story.

5) Can You Keep A Secret - My favorite medical/bromantic story. So many cute moments between the guys. Just lovely.

I probably would have included Where Can We Go From Here on my list as well. Loved that one!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »

I think for me a classic isn't really about a specific time period, but more how the story seems revered. If people do nothing but go on and on about a story, it ends up being a classic, whether it was written in 1999 or 2014. Or you mention the name of an author and the first words out of someone's mouth is, "Oh they wrote...so and so..."

I would personally consider Broken a classic. I think when people hear your name, it's one of the first stories that will pop into people's heads. The girl who wrote Broken.

That would be another great question. When you say a certain author's name, what's the first story that pops into your head?

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2014, 05:03:27 AM »

"Between the Lines" by Carrie.

"Enigma" by Paulla.  It was on a lot of rec lists at the time. Very intriguing story about Nick who is plagued by a recurring nightmare. He and the other guys go on an adventure to try and help him and what they discover is "out of this world."  The plot was unlike anything I had read at the time; however, it was a hard read for me because the flow of the story seemed to be off....it felt and read really choppy.

Wow....tough one!

1. ) "Ground Zero" by Chaos - While on tour, Nick goes missing and is found and reunited with the other Boys.  However, Nick's kidnapper wants him back!- The suspense in this story makes it timeless!  It grabs the reader's attention and does not let go of it.  And though it is completed now, when I first read it, it was the one story I had to check to see if it was updated!

2.) "Several Days in the Life of the Backstreet Boys or Two Weddings and a "Fine Mess You've Gotten Us Into!" by Marly. - Marly's stories are funny, but there is also a little drama.  But what I think makes this a classic is the writer's internal dialogue for Nick.  His thoughts provoke laugh out loud, belly laughs for me.  It was also one of the first stories I read where there was no Frick-and-Frack dynamic.

3.) "The Legend" by Whitney. - Two tattered worlds. A legend long forgotten. A galaxy on the verge of annihilation. A group of unlikely heroes who never asked for the task that fate has bestowed upon them…
These ten alone are the only ones who can save their worlds, but to do so they must embark on a journey of peril and hardship that will take them across the stars and test their faith in themselves and everything they have ever believed in. All they know is that they must survive to fight the ultimate battle of good against evil, for if they do not triumph all will be lost. - This story was a bunch of firsts for me....first sci-fi, first AU, and first crossover (Nsync is included) and would be the story I would recommend for anyone who has not tried these genres.  The writing is stellar and it's just a good read!

4.) "The Answer is Yes" by Eboni. - Nick Carter and Justin Timberlake are kidnapped by aliens.  Now they must work together to get back home.  Another sci-fi story added to my list!  This story is not a group story but a Nick and Justin story and would probably not be the most would name when talking about Eboni.  However, what makes this story a classic is the writing.  Eboni's descriptions of these aliens and alien worlds are vivid and are easy to  see in the mind's eye. Her original characters are likable and she almost made me like Justin Timberlake.... almost.

5.) "Snapshots" by Jennifer Stevens.  - One Backstreet Boy goes missing in Washington, D.C.  "Snapshots" is a character study of the Backstreet Boys. There are five chapters to the story and each chapter heading used a word to describe the subject of that particular chapter: Gorgeous - Kevin, Loving - Howie, O? - Brian (can't remember), Rebel - AJ, and Youth - Nick.  Each chapter gives the reader the characters' innermost thoughts and you get a glimpse of the friendship that makes the Backstreet Boys.  And while you're reading this, you still have the drama of the missing Boy.

This was hard just narrowing down to 5, but these were the first to pop into my head.
Pammy Whammy
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44