Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109901 times)

balance

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #315 on: June 28, 2014, 05:27:24 AM »

Signal to Noise - One of the best suspense stories of all time!  It's about a psycho stalking the Backstreet Boys, using their song lyrics as threats online, and trying to take them down one by one. - Julie

Signal to Noise is a great story.  I'm glad  have a hard copy of it.  Many of Bobbi's stories had a sexual component to them, and with Signal to Noise, there are some sections I skip.
Pammy Whammy

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #316 on: June 28, 2014, 05:44:04 AM »

1) Ground Zero - probably the best oldie suspense fic out there. Seriously, without reading this one, I'm not sure I would have ever even considered writing.

2) Seven Days - My all time favorite action story. Loved the plot and pace and the villain was awesome as well.

3) Documentaries - My all time favorite short story. Just a really great emo plot. I still think Izzy writes the only AJ I really enjoy reading lol

4) Come Together - The best how the band got together story.

5) Can You Keep A Secret - My favorite medical/bromantic story. So many cute moments between the guys. Just lovely.

"Seven Days" - I think that was the first story I read where the villain was female!
"Come Together" - Another great story and it has baby Nick!  I don't remember reading any other band formation story.
"Documentaries" - I almost added "Under Pressure" to my list.
"Can You Keep a Secret" - Is this the story when Brian comes back on tour after heart surgery and Nick is sick but keeps it secret? 
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #317 on: June 28, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »

I almost included Snapshots on my list. I loved that one!

Can You Keep a Secret is that one you mentioned. Brian is back and Nick suddenly gets sick but hides it because he doesn't want to get Brian upset. At one point Kevin gets sick as well. There's a whole lot of 'sick' lol That part at times is a bit unbelievable. I love it more for the actual bromantic moments in there.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #318 on: June 28, 2014, 06:47:57 AM »

Good questions.  I think I have read or at least tried to read every classic that sounded appealing to me, but maybe reading other people's answers will remind me of some I haven't.

One classic story I finally read after seeing it nominated everywhere back in the day was "A Tale of Two Popstars," and while it was better than it sounded, I didn't like it after I found out that the author had posted like five other versions of the exact same story featuring different boyband members (from other boybands).  That just made it feel so cheap and ruined the characterizati on for me.

My top five classics would be:

1. Where Can We Go From Here - the bus crash story that started 'em all!  A little cheesy, but still worth the read, if only for the extreme Millennium-era nostalgia it will bring about.  It's pretty well-written for a Millennium era fanfic, too. 

2. Between the Lines - This is one that I resisted reading for a long time because it's an AU about the Boys being baseball players, which did not sound like something I'd be interested in, but I ended up reading it for Mare's fanfic club and LOVED it!  It's actually one of the best-written fanfics I've ever read and about way more than baseball.

3. Cover Me With Dreams - Another story that took me a couple of tries to get into, I finally read this one at a reader's recommendation and, again, LOVED it!  It's probably my favorite fanfic of all time.  It's a great romance, but again, it's about more than just that.  I love the characters, and it's very well-written!

4. Faceless - I know Mare hates this story (in fact, this may be her answer to #2 LOL), and I can understand why, but it's still an old favorite of mine.  It's basically like a fanfic version of Beauty and the Beast about Nick going into hiding after a horrific, fiery crash leaves him badly scarred.

5. Signal to Noise - One of the best suspense stories of all time!  It's about a psycho stalking the Backstreet Boys, using their song lyrics as threats online, and trying to take them down one by one.

Links to all of these stories and more can be found on my favorites page here: http://dreamers-sanctuary.com/stories/favorites/

A few of those are on AC, also! I actually not that long ago randomly read BTL again and WOW it really stands the test of time!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #319 on: June 28, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »

Is there a 'classic' story you have always wanted to read but never have gotten around to?

I'm pretty sure all the classics I wanted to read I have. I guess the only one that's still alluded me is that one with Brian and AJ. I can't remember the name of it and I didn't read it because it's Brian and AJ but everyone really seemed to love it. LOL

Whitney's Nowhere to Run, maybe?  It's about Brian and AJ getting stuck in a convenience store hold-up.  It's good.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2014, 07:02:04 AM »

I would personally consider Broken a classic. I think when people hear your name, it's one of the first stories that will pop into people's heads. The girl who wrote Broken.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »

Signal to Noise - One of the best suspense stories of all time!  It's about a psycho stalking the Backstreet Boys, using their song lyrics as threats online, and trying to take them down one by one. - Julie

Signal to Noise is a great story.  I'm glad  have a hard copy of it.  Many of Bobbi's stories had a sexual component to them, and with Signal to Noise, there are some sections I skip.

Yeah, I can understand why Mare said it was too disturbing for her.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:20 AM »

A few of those are on AC, also! I actually not that long ago randomly read BTL again and WOW it really stands the test of time!

It really does!  The fact that it's AU also makes it timeless; it's not grounded in a certain era like a lot of other stories are, so it doesn't seem dated.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:18 AM »

Whitney's Nowhere to Run, maybe?  It's about Brian and AJ getting stuck in a convenience store hold-up.  It's good.

Yes, that was the one! I thought it was called Nowhere to Run but wasn't positive.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #324 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

With all the talk of old stories lately, here's a few questions for you.

Is there a 'classic' story you have always wanted to read but never have gotten around to?

Is there a 'classic' story you have read because everyone recommended it but when you read it, you didn't like it?

Name five stories you consider 'classics' and why you think people should check them out.

To the first question it's"Between the Lines" by Carrie. I've always meant to.

To the second, I know there's fics but I can't remember them right now. Probably for a reason LOL.

1. The Answer is Yes by Eboni - Pammy described it perfectly so I don't need to LOL.

2. The Legend by Whitney - Ditto to the above for this one.

3. Seven Days by Refuse - Honestly it's simply an amazing action/adventure story.

4. Sammy by bluecloud - this might surprise a few but I always found this story endearing and adorable. Brian comes across this little boy on his own and does whatever he can to keep him safe despite the dangers now after both of them.

5. Survivor (Can't remember the authors right now) - it's a BSB vs NSYNC story and honestly it's hilarious. Basically whatever group loses is supposed to disband but they end up with more than they bargained for.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #325 on: June 28, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

I think for me a classic isn't really about a specific time period, but more how the story seems revered. If people do nothing but go on and on about a story, it ends up being a classic, whether it was written in 1999 or 2014. Or you mention the name of an author and the first words out of someone's mouth is, "Oh they wrote...so and so..."

I would personally consider Broken a classic. I think when people hear your name, it's one of the first stories that will pop into people's heads. The girl who wrote Broken.

That would be another great question. When you say a certain author's name, what's the first story that pops into your head?

I agree with you, just like when I think of Mare my thought immediately goes to Why I'd Do It All Again, and Fly Fishing LOL.

To add on to this because I agree "current" stories can be classics for me too. List a couple fics you think are modern classics. (Aka probably written after 2005/Post Never Gone)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »

Thanks, Rose. I always wondered if it's Why that people attach to me or not. I'm kind of glad it is and not all the groundhog stories! lol

Modern classics - hrmm this is a tough one because I don't really pay much attention to when things were written, but I shall do my best.

Broken - It was one of the first stories that I can say I enjoyed the female lead throughout the entire thing. The way Julie introduced Clare was so subtle and she became so real, that by the time that relationship turned into an actual relationship, I was already a fan. Plus it had such a creative storyline, I mean we've all seen the cancer thing done a thousand times, but to chop Nick's leg off was a pretty epically awesome idea. I know she does not agree, but I still think it's Julie's best story.

Save a Prayer - Loved the premise and before it, we were greatly lacking a plane crash survival story. Plus all the New Kids bite it! What's not to love? I think what I loved most about this story was the role reversals. Don't get me wrong, I love me some in peril Nick, but it was refreshing to see him in the hero position this time around. Being the one to come up with the brilliant ideas and saving everyone. I mean he dug bot flies out of Jordan's head! Gross, but still...

On The Rails - Again, I have to call this a classic because it's the only historical AU that has ever kept me wanting to read more. It has everything I hate in it and I mean loathe - the guys are not the guys, there are no bromantic moments. It takes place way back when, it's mainly about a female and Nick. Yeah...I know! Right? But I ADORE this story. I actually squee when I see it on the most recent page. Which is not nearly enough!

Yesterday's Blue Skies - What a great Sci Fi AU. Another one that has a ton of things I usually hate and if truth be told if Maria wasn't one of my best friends, I probably would have never read this story because of that... but it is so well written and the characters are so compelling and the world she creates is so bleak and desolate. You just want to know what's going to happen! I hate that most likely we will never find out. Even though it's not complete (like On the Rails) this is one of the only stories that if she waited fifteen years before updating, I'd still rush to read the next chapter.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. I'm sure as people list theirs I'll be like "Oh, yeah...I forgot about that one!" lol 

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:07 AM »

I don't really know any classics =( and if I did remember its been so long I have probably forgotten all about them by now =/
~Carter~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #328 on: June 29, 2014, 02:18:57 AM »

The fly fishing story always reminds me of Mare too. Or anything to do with fishing in general.

Classics for me would be Ground Zero by Chaos, Swollen Issues, Nick and Lizz series, Perfection. Plus any of Mare's old stuff.

All Nick torture and suspense stories obviously LOL.

Modern classics: Song for The Undead,  Curtain Call, Remember Me This Way, and any of Mare's newer stuff (maybe I'm a biased lmao)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2014, 03:07:36 AM »

I love you, Tracy lol
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44