Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109515 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #630 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:36 AM »

Vegas would be nice. I know I probably can't afford it, but it seems like a more likely possibility than a cruise ever would be. As long as it wasn't anytime soon like within the nest two or more years.

You can all come and have a convention in my apartment! LOL I would definitely be able to show up to that one!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #631 on: July 29, 2014, 06:25:11 AM »

I know! I never thought I would forge these bonds. So, when you see these people in real life do they call you Julie or use your real name? I've always wondered about that. LOL

It's really funny cause the first time we met in person I think I called her Julie by accident once or twice. After that it's been a non-issue LOL. Calling her Julie in person just feels weird. I have her by her real name in my phone and everything. But it'd feel SO weird calling her anything but Julie on yahoo or online in general. So, go figure.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #632 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »

Vegas would be nice. I know I probably can't afford it, but it seems like a more likely possibility than a cruise ever would be. As long as it wasn't anytime soon like within the nest two or more years.

You can all come and have a convention in my apartment! LOL I would definitely be able to show up to that one!

Does it help most flights here are cheap cause Vegas wants tourists? It'd end up a lot cheaper than a cruise.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #633 on: July 29, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »

Does it help most flights here are cheap cause Vegas wants tourists? It'd end up a lot cheaper than a cruise.

a tiny but but also hotel/food etc... It's more of a not totally out of the question thing at least. It's only semi out of the question. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #634 on: July 29, 2014, 08:09:54 AM »

I've read this book too, and it's good, and I love Stephen King, but I don't think adverbs are so bad.  Obviously, strong verbs are great, but I don't think adverbs are terrible unless you structure every sentence exactly the same way, always subject verb adverb.  J.K. Rowling has been criticized for overusing adverbs, as well as overusing dialogue tags like "said," which Mare mentioned earlier, and I think she's a brilliant writer.

I think the main thing is to vary your sentence structure so it's not repetitive.  Use dialogue tags when you need them, but not after every line of dialogue, and change them up, so it's not always just "said."  But I think "said" is okay sometimes.  It's simple, and simple can be good.  It sounds silly when you go out of your way to find alternate words, when "said" would suffice.

(And when I say "your," I don't mean YOU specifically, Steph, but anyone reading this.  Just general advice!)

That is great advice, Julie! I definitely try my best to steer away from the adverbs especially in dialogue tags. Actually every time I use "said" I try to change it. One of my high school English teachers had a poster on her wall that was titled "Said is Dead" (LOL) and it listed out a whole bunch of other verbs to use in its place. I think back to that poster often, haha.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #635 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:15 AM »

Have you guys met online/fanfic friends in real life?  If so, who was the first one you met, and what was it like?

I think the first people I met off of AC were Ashley and Rachel in Minneapolis back during the Unbreakable tour. I didn't actually hang out with them that much because I wanted to roam around and see the state fair and they wanted to chill out by the venue and wait for the boys.

However when Julia and I met up to go see NKOTBSB it was sort of on a whim. I didn't want to go to another BSB show alone so I asked if she was going to the Toronto show. She said she was and we ended up going to so many shows after that and clicked pretty much instantly. So that was wicked.

I have met a whole bunch of other people through cruising as well - Julie, Rose, Tracy, Chrissy, Jen, Hannah. It's sort of a weird experience having all your online friends in the same room! I remember having the urge to check twitter (because I am a terrible addict) when we were at that mexican restaurant in 2011 and realising that 90% of the people whose tweets I cared about were sitting right there.

Also, I am suuuuuper stoked because this summer I finally get to meet up with my friend Jess who is my 1D partner in crime. We are going to a show in Chicago and I often forget about the concert when I think about my excitement for that. LOL.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #636 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »

I have never met fanfic friends in real life. I dont have a lot of good friends period lol. It takes me so long to warm up to someone and when i finally have i grt hurt. As much talking i do online i still tend to back off a bit. I also live in missouri and who would want to come here? Lol.

I feel talking online is easier for me because no one knows who i am or what i look like. (Very self causous lol) and i rarly post my real name with the exeption on facebook lol.

I am probably the only one likr this. I am weird lol
~Carter~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #637 on: July 29, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »

a tiny but but also hotel/food etc... It's more of a not totally out of the question thing at least. It's only semi out of the question. LOL

My Aunt lives in Vegas. I can stay with her if I want to. I went for a week last time I was out there. Stuff is not too expensive when cost of a hotel is eliminated but if people Chipped in for a hotel together that helps reduce the cost too. That's what I am doing for my Florida trip.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #638 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

I've not met any of my fanfic friends online but I was "stalked" by Karin, Mautim, online.  She found out that me and a couple other girls lived in Colorado and wanted to meet.  I was a bit freaked cause of all the internet stuff and predators and what not but I decided to risk it and she came to my house.   She was gutsy for coming to my place too, I could have been a predator... ha! 

oh wait, I HAVE met Dee, I totally forgot about her... yeah... lol met her on AC and found out she was in Colorado and met up with her...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #639 on: July 29, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »

I know! I never thought I would forge these bonds. So, when you see these people in real life do they call you Julie or use your real name? I've always wondered about that. LOL

They call me by my real name, but I know I am in some people's phones as "Julie-my real name" LOL.  I don't really care either way; I'll answer to anything.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #640 on: July 29, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »

That is great advice, Julie! I definitely try my best to steer away from the adverbs especially in dialogue tags. Actually every time I use "said" I try to change it. One of my high school English teachers had a poster on her wall that was titled "Said is Dead" (LOL) and it listed out a whole bunch of other verbs to use in its place. I think back to that poster often, haha.

That's awesome!  I have a poster like that in my room too that my kids love.  This past year, we made a graveyard of overused words around Halloween. They worked in groups to make tombstones ("Said is Dead" was my example) for each overused words and wrote "juicier" synonyms underneath it.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #641 on: July 29, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »

I'm gonna go ahead and post Reb's questions from the other thread in here:

What was your guys' favorite "old school fanfic" method/plot to read? Do you guys think there were more of those kind of plots back then versus now; if so, why do you think that is?
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #642 on: July 29, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »

Here is another question...and i am only asking cause i am sittig here thinking about it. Have you ever found a scene that is just hard to write? Like no matter how much you try it just doesnt seem right?
~Carter~

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #643 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »

What was your guys' favorite "old school fanfic" method/plot to read? Do you guys think there were more of those kind of plots back then versus now; if so, why do you think that is?

I didnt read a whole lot of old school to be honest. But i know there were a ton or romance...now i think there is a lot but a lot of people are writing more suspence. There is only so much happy ever after stuff people can take.

~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #644 on: July 29, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »

My favorite old school plot was the kidnapping one. One or more of the guys get kidnapped and have to figure out a way out! I prefer them all to be in deep doo-doo as opposed to just one. LOL It was always more fun seeing them try to figure a way out of their jam together.

There are way less of these nowadays, like I said in the other thread, because now real life gets in the way. Now that they all are married and have kids, it makes it tough to give realistic reasons as to why they would constantly be sans those people.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44