Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109857 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Questions to ponder part 11
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »

Thought I'd change the title since we really aren't asking a question of the day anymore LOL

Here's an interesting question: As a writer, when you leave feedback do you tend to leave it from the POV of how you usually write? For instance, if you are a suspense writer and leaving a review for a sci fi writer, do you tend to ask questions about something in the story that might seem unimportant for sci fi but you catch it from your suspense eye?

When you read your reviews, do you ever notice that happening to you? Can you tell when someone outside of the genre you have written is reviewing just based on what they ask and say?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »

Hm... I don't know if I do this myself, but I do notice it in reviews from my readers, so I probably do.  My readers who are romance fans tend to comment on the relationships between the characters, even if they haven't blossomed into a full-fledged romance, whereas the readers who don't like romance tend to ignore that part and mention other things.  My medical drama lovers will comment more on that aspect of my stories.

I am probably one of the latter when I review other people's stories.  I live for drama and horror and gore, so my reviews for Mare's current story are basically all, "Sorry, Creepy Tim, I love you and all, but I'm pretty sure Nick is bleeding internally and needs more than aspiri- OMG, WOLVES!!!"
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »

I live for drama and horror and gore, so my reviews for Mare's current story are basically all, "Sorry, Creepy Tim, I love you and all, but I'm pretty sure Nick is bleeding internally and needs more than aspiri- OMG, WOLVES!!!"

Omg I laughed so hard at this.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:42:34 AM »

LMAO
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:01:56 AM »

Lmao I love you Julie.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »

:)
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »

I have noticed that I tend to think there are twists coming in EVERYTHING because I usually add twists.  So when I leave comments I put questions out there that might be twist related.  I do notice I tend to ignore somethings and pull out other aspects when commenting, if I catch something to comment along the lines of a twist, or something unusual or what not.  I remember with Julilly's story "30 Days" I kept wondering when the break up was going to happen which I guess would be a twist for a romance/drama LOL.   

BTW I think Julilly needs to do the challenge and use that story and they need to have broken up ;)   lol
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »

BTW I think Julilly needs to do the challenge and use that story and they need to have broken up ;)   lol

Bahaha! I love how passionate you were about your desire for them to split up, too! Maybe the twist was that it seemed obvious they would, but they didn't! :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »

I know I am guilty of always doing this which is why I asked in the first place. I'll almost always look at the suspense angle of everything even when there is not an ounce of suspense anywhere to be found in the story. I might concentrate on something like why someone said what they said or if something is mentioned in a room I might think "hrmm that's weird she mentioned a cat toy without mentioning a cat. Maybe something sinister is going to happen involving a dead pet?" lol

I do notice people doing that as well, just like Julie said above. I've noticed it more with this new one then anything else I've ever written. The medical people focus on Nick's issues, the romance people focus on the happier elements, and then the suspense horror people want those wolves to come and that damn fire poker to be used! LOL

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »

Bahaha! I love how passionate you were about your desire for them to split up, too! Maybe the twist was that it seemed obvious they would, but they didn't! :P

Perhaps it was the twist after all. I just did not like the female lead.  Lol
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »

I know I am guilty of always doing this which is why I asked in the first place. I'll almost always look at the suspense angle of everything even when there is not an ounce of suspense anywhere to be found in the story. I might concentrate on something like why someone said what they said or if something is mentioned in a room I might think "hrmm that's weird she mentioned a cat toy without mentioning a cat. Maybe something sinister is going to happen involving a dead pet?" lol

I do notice people doing that as well, just like Julie said above. I've noticed it more with this new one then anything else I've ever written. The medical people focus on Nick's issues, the romance people focus on the happier elements, and then the suspense horror people want those wolves to come and that damn fire poker to be used! LOL

You always latch on to random details and minor characters, like Hambelina in Curtain Call LOL, or want the female characters to be psychopaths.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 04:39:17 AM »

You always latch on to random details and minor characters, like Hambelina in Curtain Call LOL, or want the female characters to be psychopaths.

Think about how much more fun Carrie would have been if she had been a psycho nurse who killed her patients and then fed them to her pet pig? Just a suggestion for the five years later challenge! lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 06:38:13 AM »

Think about how much more fun Carrie would have been if she had been a psycho nurse who killed her patients and then fed them to her pet pig? Just a suggestion for the five years later challenge! lol

LMAO!!!  OMG, so tempting!  Maybe Nick's death sent her over the edge, causing her to suffer a massive mental breakdown...
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

^ that's what I was thinking too! LOL

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

Stephen King was on The View today and they ran down a list asking him "where did you get the idea for..." So my question is this - what was your most unusual bit of inspiration, something that lead you to include it either as a major plot point or small addition to a story?
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44