Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!  (Read 54071 times)

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
Re: Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »

sorry  I  forgot  LOL

Readers survey

Story:Switch

Person reading it: Erika/kevmylove  

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I was happy about it, althought we don't talk much to each other I like Erika's stories and knew she would know what issues to tell me about.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes, I really appreciate it.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Some of it but I should re-do it all if I find the time.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? None

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? A good one

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:03:04 PM by carterkid »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »

I can't believe this summer is gone already!  :'(

It seems as if everyone has really enjoyed the way we did things this time around so next year look forward to the same format!

Erika, you still need to finish the story by Saturday which is the last official day of the challenge. Don't be the only one not to complete it!

Then  Emily, you'll just have to do the reader's survey.

I'll be back on last time next Saturday to see if we all have passed this challenge!! YAY!!

Feel free to jump in here with any final thoughts or suggestions. :)

Go Erika!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2013, 04:00:06 AM »

So sorry Mare...but I promise I'm reading! I only have six chapters to go. If I don't have homework I shall be reading the rest tomorrow.  ;)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2013, 04:05:42 AM »

Yay!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »

Yay it was a crazy summer, but I'm finally finished...so sorry I'm so late. But I told ya I wouldn't quit. Wouldn't want anyone quitting on me!  ;D

Final survey

Name of story: Falling In Love Again

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? Just the length of the story. I'm not used to reading stories that long.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I definitely looked forward to reading.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? When Nick opened up and told Annie about what really happened with Lauren. I never ever imagined why he had broken up with her.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes he was. Nick played a different role in this story. He wasn't a douche gone good. lol

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? I don't think I had one. Although Annie kinda made me mad sometimes lol.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? I'm not sure there could be a sequal.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes I was. It was very cute!

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) There were a few surprises in this story that I definitely didn't see coming. Mainly the whole Lauren being relieved with the miscarriage. That took me by surprise

9) What was this stories biggest strength? The story was very well developed.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? I didn't see a weakness.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Yes, I think I will.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I've got to admit that I was dreading having to read 50+ just because I don't have the attention span or time. But once I started I just couldn't stop reading.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I like either way

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes she did. Thank you.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? I just wanted to apologize to Emily, she must have thought I wasn't going to go through with the challenge, but I had a few challenges this summer myself. I'm sorry I'm all late, but I knew I was not going to quit. I really did enjoy the story and I have taken a liking to Emily's writing style. I do have a question for you Emily...Did you outline this story before writing or as you were writing. Becasue I don't think I would have been able to remember all those details lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »

Yay Erika! So glad you finished! Woot!! :)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story:

Person reading it: Erika (kevmylove)

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I was excited!  I mean, she's a Kevin girl, too, apparently (even though this is a Nick story!)

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes. She reviewed almost every chapter- just left out a couple, I think.  The feedback was helpful in that it showed she liked and was interested in the story, but there really wasn't any concrit or comments on the writing in general, which would have been more helpful.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?  I did read a couple chapters here and there, just to see what she was talking about :) 

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? Hmm.... Since you commented on the length of the story, do you think there were parts that I could have left out and still had the same impact?  I find that I struggle with getting from point A to point B without being too long-winded sometimes.  It's something I'm noticing myself doing in the sequel (so, yes, there's a sequel! It's very different, though).

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
Overall, it was good.  It was a little frustrating that the reading was so sporadic, but I understand she is very busy, and I'm glad she was able to still finish it!

To answer your question, Erika.  I did not physically outline the story.  I started writing with a general premise (Annie's background and meeting with Brian), then decided to make it a Nick story, gave Nick a background story that tired into Annie's, etc.  I basically knew what was going to happen and when.  So, I guess I outlined it in my head!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2013, 04:25:31 AM »

And thus endeth this summer's reading challenge! :)

All of you have absolutely rocked! Thank you for taking this seriously and realizing that other people were depending on you to come through for them. This is the first year that everyone completed this challenge and it makes me tingly! In a happy kind of way and not the want to poke someone with a stick kind of way! *insert stick poking smiley here!*

I know through this challenge, I have really gotten to know some of you as people and as writers that I probably would have never done if I hadn't been initially forced to try something new. Through your feedback to one another and of course to me and giving new people feedback, I know it helped me see some things writing-wise in a different light and I hope all of you managed to take home some of the same feelings.

I hope in May when I put this out there again, you all rejoin so start thinking now about stories to submit or maybe it's time to write a new one in time for the challenge!

Thanks everyone!

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »

Emily,

I don't think you left out anything and the reason for my question was just because I thought everything felll into place just perfectly. My reviews were more of my reactions becaue i didn't feel that I needed to criticize you in any way. You have a great way of describing things without too much detail (too much detail drives me crazy) and you developed your characters just fine. Although I read sporatically I was hooked on the stor and wish I could have read it more often lol.

I'm looking forward to reading the sequal then :)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2013, 05:37:39 AM »

Thanks, Erika!  The sequel is "Run," on the most recent page in case you're interested!  I'm less than halfway finished with it at the moment, but it's going to be the September featured story, so...yay!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]