Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: FS for May: The New Guy by freedomwriter  (Read 4412 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for May: The New Guy by freedomwriter
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »

Hello and Happy May!

This month's featured story is "The New Guy" by freedomwriter. Here is the link to her story:
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11064

Feel free to post comments or questions in here as you read.

Happy reading!  :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for May: The New Guy by freedomwriter
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

Since I know you check the forum from time to time, I'm leaving you some questions to answer :)

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one?

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Also, I hope you consider participating in the reading challenge. I think it would be a good fit for you!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

freedomwriter

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:44 AM »

ummm alright... Now you make me use my brain, darn

1. Something no one else knows
Nick's reason to come to Atlanta in the first place.

2. How long did it take to write this story?
I've been working on and off on it for more than a year. *hides in shame* It should have been done a long time ago, a lot of chapters ago.

3. Summary
ooooooh, spoiler alert :) (I'm sorry, I'm really terrible at giving away spoilers, and at writing summaries)
Helping a friend say goodbye is one of the hardest things to do. After seven months since he's last seen him, Nick sets out to finally visit his sick friend in Atlanta. After an unforseen accident, he ends up staying longer than he'd expected and finds out a terrible secret that could ruin marriage life forever for Brian. Through loss, betrayal, Kamille tea and Elevator-related fearsl, Nick and Brian finally discover the true meaning of being Frick and Frack.

(I might even use this summary, if that's okay  :o)

4. How did I come up with the concept?
Honestly, this story was never meant to see a second chapter. I just wanted to experiment with the concept of Nick hating on newcomer Brian when they started out and him eventually wishing for his friend to return 20 years later. I first thought, like everybody else, that Brian was dead. I changed it only because I didnt want to leave them in such a depressing state. That's probably also why there are several more chapters added.  ;D

5. My favourite character.
Either Nick or Harold.
Harold because he's just this strong, rock like figure that everyone depends on when things go bad. It's also fun to write the segments when they were really young.
Nick obviously, because he's basically the main character. He goes from an arrogant, selfish and incredibly mean 13-year old brat, to a caring and devoted man, who would do anything to save his friend's life.
Oh and believe it or not, I'll have to choose Leighanne as well, cause she actually gives shape in this story, which would have definitely hit a dead end if she hadnt appeared in it and done the things she's done.

6. Least favourite character.
I'm almost afraid to admit. Brian oh God why?! Although he's still my favourite in the group, his character just doesnt seem to want to cooperate in this story. Just Get Better Already, You Idiot! He's just basically an incredible angsty figure, wallowing in self-pity. I'm even wondering if he actually wants to get better at this stage.

7. Are all the boys in this one?
Because I wanted this story to mainly focus on Brian and Nick, I may have made a mistake in excluding the other guys for the most part. Although they do show up from time to time, I accidently managed to portray them as a bunch of assholes, kicking a dying member out of the band and then never bothering to visit once in a while.

Although I'm not all that experienced in giving feedback, I will try and see if I can participate in the Reading Challenge :3   

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »

Some more questions for you!

1. Real name:
2. How long have you been on AC?
3. How long have you been writing fanfics?
4. Give us a list of stories you have written.
5. List some of your all time favorite stories you have read.
6. Do you have your own site?
7. What are your favorite types of stories to read?
8. Who is your favorite BSB?
9. Do you find yourself writing about him more than the others?
10. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?
11. Where are you from?
12. What kinds of hobbies do you enjoy?
13. What's your favorite movie?
14. What's your favorite book?
15. Any hidden talents?

freedomwriter

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:51:18 AM »

Oh I love these interrogations  ;)

1. Real name:
Kimberly van Dijk
2. How long have you been on AC?
almost two years, I think
3. How long have you been writing fanfics?
also about two years, not that long
The funny thing, and also very annoying: I can come up with beginnings just fine, but never seem to find the nerve to finish a story. It's frustrating :(

from old to new:
- Peter's Poisoned Promise
- The New Guy
- The Road That Leads To Who Knows Where (damn that title)
- The Glimmer of Hope
- Dangers of Fluttering

5. List some of your all time favorite stories you have read.

do they have to be on AC?
I assume not :)

- the first BSB story I read is still my favourite:
Mind Games by Amanda (I think it's her name) Just so much suspense, it's nerve wrecking. I wish I could read this one again and again without knowing what's going to happen. Ever get that feeling as well?
- If Tomorrow Never Comes by MonkeyAbu (this one is actually on AC, I discovered) So well-written, a real tear-jerker. Such a pity it was never finished. I can still cry about that. jk.
- there's a bunch more I can't think of at the moment.

6. Do you have your own site?
nope

7. What are your favorite types of stories to read?
Drama, Angst or/and Suspense. Hurt and Comfort too, when I think about it. I don't think it's a genre on AC, but when a character gets hurt or sick, I'm all over the place. I'm a real bad person...  I really do not like romance stories. there doesnt happen a lot in them and there all the same, it seems :(

8. Who is your favorite BSB?
Brian. Period. Does that need an explanation? I dun think so :)

9. Do you find yourself writing about him more than the others?
Yesh, God yes. Reading too. It's an obsession. Really unhealthy  ;)

10. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?
OOOOH deep questions I cannot answer! I don't really know yet. I'm still pretty young. 20 years old, I don't have a future planned out yet.

11. Where are you from?
From a little place called The Earth. No, I'm kidding. I'm from outer space. They also call it the Netherlands.

12. What kinds of hobbies do you enjoy?
Writing (except for when I'm desperately stuck on a story, which happens a lot lately). I like drawing (horses mostly) watching movies, lots of tv shows. Just doing lazy stuff, I guess

13. What's your favorite movie?
hmmm, I can't choose! I really like Mysterious Movies (as I call them) with a huge plot twist. Those are my faves. Like Fight Club, or Shutter Island

14. What's your favorite book?
I really liked the Gone series by Michael Grant. Dunno if anybody knows it :)

15. Any hidden talents?
not in particular. I like drawing stuff, that's about it.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »

The funny thing, and also very annoying: I can come up with beginnings just fine, but never seem to find the nerve to finish a story. It's frustrating :(

Story of my life right there!

van Dijk - is that pronounced like the drainage trench 'dyke'?

This story seems like it could be interesting, I'm adding it to my list of things to read because I have promised myself I will be a better reader this summer!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.