Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 63045 times)

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

Story: Gone Country

Person reading it: Kyrie

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? a little nervous because its an older story of mine.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? yes she did :)

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? yes, because its from 2006 and that seems like forever ago lol. I wrote it while i was pregnant with my son.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? none that I can think of.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? It was a good experience. I am glad she liked the element of the story. I have been meaning to write another one like it but there are wayyy too many song choices these days ;)
~Carter~

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »

Carter - I would be excited to read another one! I can go through some CDs and pick out some songs! LOL
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Walked Out Of My Dreams by Rose

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? There wasn’t really a challenge with Rose’s story although I did have to go looking for the place she used! LOL

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I was looking forward to it. I really wanted to find out what was in store for Brian/Brendan.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? The scene where Brian finally reunites with Baylee.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? No, it actually changed to Brian. The last few chapters had me absorbed in seeing how he felt and I think that’s why it changed.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? I hate to do this because she was so nice but Carlie. I just didn’t feel like they clicked and I wasn’t all that sad to see him leave without her.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Absolutely, sign me up!

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes, I was hoping that Brian would get back to being himself before it ended and I was glad Rose did it that way.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) I think the biggest surprise was when Brian woke up and remembered who he was. I hoped it might come at some point but it was quicker than I thought.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? I don’t think it’s the story’s strength but Rose’s strength. Sometimes when you read stories told from different points of view, there is difficulty telling who’s perspective you’re reading. Rose made it very easy to distinguish the chapters told by Brian and those told by Nick. It’s a hard skill and she does a great job with it.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? I didn’t see any

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Yup 

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I enjoyed how the story flowed and how much emotion Rose was able to bring up through the telling.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I didn’t participate last year so I don’t really know but I did enjoy it! 

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Every time 

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Nope
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »

Awww thank you! I always second guess myself when I write in first person cause I'm always wondering if it's distinctive enough. Or believable LOL.

It's funny Carlie was never supposed to click with Brian. Everything about it is wrong and in my head it's sort of what helps trigger (or start triggering) Brian's memories even if it's only in his dreams.

As for the actual disorder, it's actually that fast. You literally wake up with no memory of who your alter ego (essentially) was but with all of your own memories back. Dissociative Fugue is a really strange phenomenon.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: Walked Out Of My Dreams

Person reading it: Kyrie

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I was looking forward to it because as far I knew she'd never read any of my stories before. I'm always excited about fresh readers and what their thoughts might be on my work.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
She absolutely left a great amount of feedback. And it really helped motivate me back into writing. This whole challenge did for that matter.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?
I did at times cause there's always little things I forgot or forgot what happens when LOL.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
No, I think she communicated her thoughts pretty well.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
Good! I enjoyed getting the feedback and having it sort of shove me back into actively writing.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »

Carter - I would be excited to read another one! I can go through some CDs and pick out some songs! LOL

I can give it a try :) i bet we have the same kind of country music collection ;)
~Carter~

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2014, 07:39:03 AM »

Story: A Dash of Cinnamon

Person reading it: Julilly

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? Seeing as how Julilly is a "veteran" on this site, I was pretty excited to see that she had picked my story for the challenge. I knew that she would probably provide some good feedback.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yup!

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Yes, mostly because I couldn't remember the details of each chapter.  :P

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? Not that I can think of at the moment.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? It was a good experience for me. She gave me some good positive feedback as well as some concrit. It's always nice to get an honest opinion on your writing. I seriously hope that she checks out one of my stories again ... one that is not a romance and that doesn't put her to sleep.  :D

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »

Carter - We probably do! I would definitely help you out if you wanted to try it again!

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »

Name of story: Jizzle of OZ

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes, very much

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?Nick

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) It'll end like the wizard of OZ lol

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? It's just right for the story

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? No plot twist

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. no, I was planning to read this anyhow

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) just on one chapter so far I told the author and she's going to fix it

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? nope

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »

Carter - We probably do! I would definitely help you out if you wanted to try it again!

Id love to try it again. There are so many different songs out there now.
~Carter~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »

Story: Jizzle Of Oz

Person reading it: Carterkid

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I knew that I would get general and short reviews like a normal person was reading.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
She left feedback on every chapter but it was very short, not very detailed.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? No just for one chapter that had a small typo.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? No but I hope you enjoyed it.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? It wasn't bad but I was disappointed. she read it in one day and didn't give detailed feedback. However I am pleased that she enjoyed the story.

freedomwriter

• Fledgling
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »

hold on while I hide in shame  :( Oh gosh, my first challenge, and I'm already screwing up.

I'm almost halfway through the story (like 5 chapters short) So lemme do the survey now (and do it good)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Song for the Undead

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yes! Although there are multiple characters telling their stories along the way, it's fantastic to see it all coming together.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
Brian. Because... well... I'm still a Brian girl XD. And you've really tortured him in this particular story. Love me some Brian torture. (does that make me a bad person? Maybe a little)

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
I don't think the story has ended yet, as it's still being updated and so. Anyway, as it was clearly based on one of my fave Stephen King books, I hope the story keeps that storyline mainly. I can't remember how the book ended though. I might need to read it again (after I finish this story 'f course!)

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
I feel like it fits perfectly. Not too much is given away, and not too much is held back. I like descriptive summaries that tell you what the story is about without disclosing the entire plot

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
Not really. I suppose the dead coming back to life was meant to be a big plot-twist, but the title of the story gives that bit away. I have heard that the story was originally called something else, without giving that info...

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
Nope I wouldn't stop, it's generally very well-written and I really like it. I do notice that I'm more 'attracted' to certain characters than others, so that I'm skimming through the persons I like a little less, but I think that's too be expected in any story with multiple POVs

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
Not to my knowledge. But my knowledge of zombie infested America only reaches so far.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
Not at the moment ^^

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »

Originally we had titled the story 4.15.12 so they the dead rising was a major shock. Then we swapped the titles lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »

hold on while I hide in shame  :( Oh gosh, my first challenge, and I'm already screwing up.

I'm almost halfway through the story (like 5 chapters short) So lemme do the survey now (and do it good)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Song for the Undead

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yes! Although there are multiple characters telling their stories along the way, it's fantastic to see it all coming together.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
Brian. Because... well... I'm still a Brian girl XD. And you've really tortured him in this particular story. Love me some Brian torture. (does that make me a bad person? Maybe a little)

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
I don't think the story has ended yet, as it's still being updated and so. Anyway, as it was clearly based on one of my fave Stephen King books, I hope the story keeps that storyline mainly. I can't remember how the book ended though. I might need to read it again (after I finish this story 'f course!)

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
I feel like it fits perfectly. Not too much is given away, and not too much is held back. I like descriptive summaries that tell you what the story is about without disclosing the entire plot

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
Not really. I suppose the dead coming back to life was meant to be a big plot-twist, but the title of the story gives that bit away. I have heard that the story was originally called something else, without giving that info...

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
Nope I wouldn't stop, it's generally very well-written and I really like it. I do notice that I'm more 'attracted' to certain characters than others, so that I'm skimming through the persons I like a little less, but I think that's too be expected in any story with multiple POVs

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
Not to my knowledge. But my knowledge of zombie infested America only reaches so far.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
Not at the moment ^^

Once you get to the actual halfway point I'll remove that fail sign, but be aware as of right now I did ask all the people who are reading your stories to stop until further notice. Once you get caught up on answering your feedback & reading then they'll continue on.

Sorry. I call it tough love! It is unfair to the people who are reading your stuff because there is very little reciprocation so while you're getting all this great concrit & feedback, they are getting barely anything in return. Glad to see you did read another chapter though. :)

Also carterkid, don't forget to fill out the final survey even though Tracy beat you to the reading survey.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »

Name of story: Jizzle of OZ

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? It wasn't a challenge at all as I enjoyed it

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? It didn't feel like homework at all!

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? when Nick is caught and his friends are breaking him out

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Paris,cause she's the witch lol

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Yes

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) Nope, No surprise

9) What was this stories biggest strength? it had a lot of detail 

10) What was it's biggest weakness? to short maybe, She could have added more of her own turns

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Yes

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I would say she got the details of the movie wizard of oz spot on

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I'm ok whichever way.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes, she did.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? no

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15