Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 62232 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »

Excellent! Lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »

we just took his strong beliefs and made it, "what if he was taught to have strong beliefs in the bad"  *shrugs*  There I said it... lol.... 

Thanks for the explaination, girls!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »

Halfway There Survey for short stories:

Name of Author who wrote the stories:

1) Are you finding the stories easy to follow?

2) Which of the stories you have read tend to be your favorite at the moment and why?

3) Do you feel like the summaries have accurately described what the stories were about?

4) Which of the stories has surprised you the most and why?

5) If this wasn't for a challenge, would have still continued to read the stories?

6) If there a story you did not enjoy from this batch?

7) Have there been any glaring errors that have stuck out?

8) Do you have questions for the author in regard to any of the story lines, characters or plots?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2014, 06:17:20 AM »

Check in Saturday!

Hello everyone!! Hope you guys are enjoying what little remains of the summer. I know in a few weeks I'll be getting busy with back to school things. :(

Just some friendly reminders:

Steph - Don't forget to respond to your reviews of Save a Prayer and your reader's survey for Unwinding Truth

Emily - in between pushes lol don't forget to do your reader's survey for Falling in Love Again

Freedomwriter - You have until August 9th to get to at least chapter 50 of Undead and to respond to all your unanswered reviews. If you miss that one, I'm just going to let everyone write up their final surveys for what they have written without having to continue on. Once you hit 50, I'll take Julilly off hold and then as soon as you respond to the other reviews and get at least 10 more chapters read, carter will come off hold. And then finally Rose once you hit chapter 70. They will only have to read up until the end of the month though, and then I'll let them stop since I'm the one making them wait in the first place so the longer it takes you to get moving the less reviews you're going to get.

Ritz and Emily - Just keep reading. I think everyone else is pretty much done and waiting on freedomwriter.  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:19:41 AM by mare »

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: Unwinding Truth

Person reading it: Mare

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? Well, I know that Mare isn't a fan of AU and sci-fi so I did wonder what she'd think of it and whether she'd hate it lol.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes, Mare left plenty of feedback and brought up a few things that were helpful to Lore and I.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Yes, I've completely re-read the story, not just because of the feedback, but because it's incomplete and we hadn't updated in a while (which we are now planning on doing)

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? I can't think of any as Mare asked questions whilst reviewing and we tried our best to answer (even though sometimes I couldn't because I'd forgotten what we'd written)

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? Yes, it was a good experience.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: Falling in Love Again

Person reading it: Alexzgirl_ritz

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I really didn't know much about Ritz, as a reader or a writer, but I knew she was pretty active on the site, so I was excited to see her perspective on the story.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes, and yes.  It was mainly her response to what was happening in the story, but she did also occasionally comment on the writing, which I appreciate.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Just a few chapters when I really didn't know what she was talking about. lol

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? Not really. She was pretty thorough

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? It was really good!  I'm interested to see what she thinks about the sequel if she does in fact read it like she said she plans to.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:29:20 PM by emilo »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »

See? This is what I'm talking about. I ask people to do stuff and they did! What a concept! Love you both!! lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »

The 9th is getting closer! I hope those of you that need to will make that deadline!

:)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »

Ritz, I know you only have two more stories to read. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a final survey for you because my computer is not working. I will try but if not I'll just add a few questions in here instead. I did post the halfway survey for you at least. Lol

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

Halfway There Survey for short stories:

Name of Author who wrote the stories: Mare

1) Are you finding the stories easy to follow? Absolutely.

2) Which of the stories you have read tend to be your favorite at the moment and why? I have finished reading more than half, but I'm gonna talk about the first 6 stories I read. My favorite would be Mirror Image and the Easter bunny story. Mirror Image because I love how Mare wrote AJ and Nick. Loved how Nick was being serious and AJ a smartass. It was a moment I felt was so real. And the Easter Bunny because it was a very short story but full of emotions.

3) Do you feel like the summaries have accurately described what the stories were about? Yes and No. Some summaries just say the story was intended for a challenge, then there are short summaries that completely describes the story.

4) Which of the stories has surprised you the most and why? The Easter Bunny story. It was a very short story and yet convey a very powerful message about growing up, reality, and compassion.

5) If this wasn't for a challenge, would have still continued to read the stories? Yes. I have actually read some of them even before this challenge. And my reviews would definitely show Mare how I enjoyed and love her stories.

6) If there a story you did not enjoy from this batch? None. I loved them all.

7) Have there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? None. Every story was creatively written.

8) Do you have questions for the author in regard to any of the story lines, characters or plots? None. Every story was crystal clear for me. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »

Hello! It's check in Saturday time again.

Emily had her baby this week so congrats to her & even she managed to meet her deadline by getting to the halfway point of "Save a Prayer" you just need to do your halfway there survey between diaper changes lol

Rose, Jullily & Carter - As far as I'm concerned you can do your final surveys for the stories that I have put on hold. It's up to you if you want to go ahead and finish them or not, but I'm not going to hold you to anything. Your call. And I feel like I need to apologize to you, Rose on behalf of freedomwriter. You did a great job reading and giving feedback to the two stories you picked. I'm sorry that it wasn't completely reciprocated. At least your other readers came through for you. Disappointing, but maybe she will at least try to read the rest whenever?

The take away from this? Don't commit if you don't plan to follow through. It makes you look irresponsible, flaky and somewhat rude and can have an affect on how willing people will be to read your future stories.

Enough lecturing. Everyone else who has not finished reading, you have until the 30 th to get your final surveys done and don't forget about those reader surveys as well. That seems to be the thing everyone forgets about. I'll be back next weekend!

Happy reading!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:56:43 AM by mare »

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:28 PM »

Name of story: Dangers of Fluttering by Freedom Writer

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? getting the reading done mostly since the kids were out of school..

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? It was defiantly quite interesting what I read. It was different for me since it was part sci-fi

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I dont really have one cause I didnt read all the way through stopped at chapter 10

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? I will always *heart* Nick ;)

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? I guess as far as i am into it probably Roland since he seems to be out to get Brian for some reason or another.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? eh maybe idk..this one isnt even finished.

7) Were you happy with the ending? idk...its incomplete

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) nothing stood out to me as far as a surprise

9) What was this stories biggest strength? i would say the storyline. It's a good concept.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? I didnt see any weaknesses

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? I have read quite a few from her already.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I really enjoyed the concept of the story. it was a different story to me since it was sci-fi with time travel in it. But i was enjoying it

13) Did the author respond to your feedback? nope...just i think a few chapters and that was it.

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? nope.
~Carter~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Peter's Poisoned Promise

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? Reading it! It got put on hold due to a lack of reading on her end.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I did, actually.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I stopped early in so I didn't really have one yet.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Can't answer cause I didn't get very far

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Can't answer cause I couldn't get far enough to get a solid grasp on the characters

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Not really.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Can't answer, it's not finished and I didn't get that far!

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) I'm sure there is one but I hadn't reached it yet

9) What was this stories biggest strength? It's interesting

10) What was it's biggest weakness? It's definitely awkward at times but that's because English isn't her first language.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Not really, no.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? It was really frustrating reading this. Reviews weren't responded to unless Mare prodded her and then I got asked to stop reading cause she wasn't holding up her end of the deal in this challenge.

13) Did the author respond to your feedback? Some, not all, when Mare kept asking her to.

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Why did you flake out on this challenge?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2014, 01:23:40 AM »

Story: Song For The Undead

Person reading it: freedomwriter

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I was happy about getting a new set of eyes on it and seeing what she thought

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? What feedback she did leave, sure. It helped jump start our inspiration on it. However she didn't even reach the real halfway point of the story chapter wise so it wasn't that helpful.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?Definitely

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? Why did you flake out on reading my story?

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? Good with the other two stories that got read for this challenge. Bad in this case. All flaking out does is make me wonder if it was the story's fault or something.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

Name of story: Save a Prayer

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Nick.  I like him in the "hero" role whereas he is usually the one that needs saving.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)  I assume they'll all make it out alive (except for maybe Jordan), but not without a lot more trouble along the way.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? I think the summary is fine.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?  I was surprised to see all the New Kids (sans one of them) die so quickly.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.  No.  I would have kept reading, although this is definitely a genre outside of my comfort zone.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) Nope

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Not a question, really, but so far I feel like the guys have been characterize pretty well based on their actions and reactions, but I'm interested to see if we get a little more "bromantic" towards the end.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:13:24 PM by emilo »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15