Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 62242 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 07:17:40 AM »

Good morning! Just doing my weekly check in.

In the very first post you can check everyone's progress as of the date that is listed above. It gives you an idea where everyone else is on the challenge and might help you figure out where you need to be.

I am happy to see all but three of you have started reading now. :)

It's too early to start bugging you yet (That will come though) but just a reminder, please respond to your reviews! I do tell people to stop reading until they see a response, if I see there are piles of unanswered reviews. I also tell people to stop reading your stories if you haven't started participating yet. It's not fair if you get all the praise and they do all the work. That's another reason why I update that front post. So you can see for yourself, if the person's story you are about to read is taking the time to actually read the story/stories they have chosen.

Enough lecturing from me now lol Happy reading and I'll check back next weekend!!

For now here's your next question: Has there been anything that has surprised you about the story you are reading at the moment?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: As You Are

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes, it's a good plot and easy to follow.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? I like Nick, he lives in a time where men were considered superior to women and yet he always listens and supports Charlotte (unlike other men of the time).

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) I forgot to complete this at the halfway mark as I got carried away reading, so already know how it ends. 

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? I think the summary is enough.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? I'm not sure about big surprises at the halfway point, but I like the way it's going.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
No, because it's a good, well written story.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) None that I could see.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
No, I can't think of any. 

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: As You Are

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? It wasn't a challenge at all as I enjoyed it very much :)

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? Once I started, I couldn't wait to see what happened next.  It didn't feel like homework at all!

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I liked it when Charlotte gave in and wore the dress Nick had bought her.  She's so stubborn and independent so it was nice to see her do that little thing to please him.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes, but I also liked Charlotte too.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? The family member who was having a go at Nick for not being much of a man because he let Charlotte speak her mind (sorry, forgot his name).

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
Yes

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes, it all ended how I wanted it to.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
I didn't expect Charlotte to get caught out, didn't see it coming.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? Julilly's story telling ability, the plot and likeability of the characters.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? Can't think of a weakness.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? I've already read quite a few but will read the rest.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I'd say that reading this story was a great experience and I'm glad I picked it.  The kind of feedback I gave was mainly my reactions to the events as that's the way I always do it, there was nothing negative to say about the story.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I'm ok whichever way.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes, she did.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? In reply to a question in the feedback, it worked with these characters and would work as original fiction too.  I think you did well with the British stuff too, even though I'm not familiar with Britain in those times lol :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Living At The Top

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes, each chapter is told from a different boy's point of view and it's easy to follow.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Howie, because he's just such a sweet guy.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) I'm hoping it will end with them getting back together and going on a big tour which includes a show in Cardiff lol.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? The summary doesn't really give much clue of what the story is about, only that it's from all the boys point of view, but I think this is one of Mare's old ones and maybe transferred from an old site?

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? No big surprises really, but I'm enjoying the story.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
No, because it's a good, well written story.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) None that I can see, just the occasional typo.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
No, I can't think of any as I know Mare can't remember what happens in this story lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 12:07:39 PM »

^ lmao me and my memory!

And yes, this story is one of my way older ones which was just transferred over so I probably didn't say much summary wise because by the time it came over to AC it was already well read.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 08:36:44 PM »

I think I have changed my mind and will do one story at a time. LOL just thought I'd share.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 11:13:11 PM »

Lol did memory fails start happening?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »

No, but that's only because I haven't started to read the second one yet. After not remembering a thing that was going on in MY own fanfics, I kind of figured it was bound to happen while reading two at once! LOL

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »

The altimerz (however you spell that word) has...it was unexpected thats for sure. I might start he othet one here in a few days
~Carter~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »

I am reading a little of both at the same time because Forever is a bit long and Stockholm Syndrome is on the shorter side. Thought for this challenge I would switch it up a bit.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »

Name of story:The Importance of Fly Fishing by mare

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Its only about Nick & Kevin so both are my favorite

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) No, But its really just a feel good kind of story

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? the summary works great

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? No big plot twist so far

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.  I had this on my list to read. So no I wouldn't have stopped.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)  Nope,  I got stuck on chapter six but that was my fault  lol

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Not so far
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:18:24 PM by carterkid »

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 03:16:13 AM »

Name of story: When I Grow Up

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yup, no problems there

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
Um, Nick I suppose. His reactions to things in the future are funny.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)
I have a basic idea, yeah. Nick manages to change the future when he goes back to being 13 again.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?
No, the summary's good for it.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
No to big surprises or plot twists, everything's been pretty easy to see where it's going.

Yes, I would have. Because I can't get a feel for any of the characters in the story. The story is being told through mainly dialogue which always pulls me out. I can't picture anything really, I can't really see the thought process of anyone beyond the dialogue. It's cute but it reads more like a script than an actual story. The ideas are great and if there'd been more setup and meat to the story, yes I'd keep going in that case.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
Some of the dialogue tags are a bit repetitive. Also the scene changes are disjointed and a little disorienting. I chalk this up to the problem of Tracy writing from her phone. But at the same time it's hard to tell sometimes if it's a new scene or just a lot of spaces cause of formatting issues. Beyond that though everything's good in terms of errors. :)

Not now :).

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 04:06:28 AM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: When I Grow Up

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
Um, I think sticking with it.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
I wouldn't say it felt like homework LOL.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
Probably Nick wailing that he broke the car.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
Yes

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
I didn't really have a least favorite.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
Not really, there's no room for a sequel

7) Were you happy with the ending?
Yes

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
Leighanne having hooked up with Nick. Ewww lol.

9) What was this stories biggest strength?
The ideas she had for it.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
I think it's the lack of characterizati on, like I said before, it reads more like a script which weakens the story.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
Not based on this one, but I do think she's capable of better so I wouldn't rule it out.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
Tracy, I know I might've come off harsh. But it's because this was a story that had the right elements but maybe not the right follow through. I do think you needed to hear all I had to say. So I'm glad I did the challenge.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
I like both ways.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Yes

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
Where did Howie go? Was he locked in the bathroom again? Should we put his face on a milk carton? lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »

Lmao i think Howie got lost somewhere. When i get around to rewriting the story (i decided today i will) i promise not to forget him. I didnt realize at the time either.  Poor Howie always gets neglected. I gave him a bigger role in Finding Carter though!

At first i was a bit upset by your feedback but after we talked it over in private I understood you really were trying to help me. I can do better and i think if i fixed it, that story could really be good. So i am glad you believe in me enough to point that out. I have just never gotten concrit before, which is something that i do need. Thanks Rose.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »

Hey all don't forget that when people are finished with your stories, you need to fill out the reader's survey as well! I can't believe some of you are done already! LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »

Just got home from work. I will be posting my survey shortly, today was a bit hectic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15