Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 108671 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #645 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:52 PM »

Here is another question...and i am only asking cause i am sittig here thinking about it. Have you ever found a scene that is just hard to write? Like no matter how much you try it just doesnt seem right?

My God, yes! Last summer when I was writing Hope.

There were a lot of scenes in the crashed van. One scene I had a hell of a time writing was when the wolves finally showed up and jumped on top of it. My main problem was I kept visualizing this stupid van different ways and in my head it was a lot bigger than it actually was meant to be. Like almost tour bus big! I had it sitting on its side and because of that, I had a real problem with consistency when it came to those damn wolves jumping up on the hood of the van since they would have really needed suction cups on their feet to do that! Ugh that damn van gave me nightmares! LOL

I tried my hardest to change my mind but since I started writing that story, that scene had always been stuck in my head and you know how it goes, when you have something stuck in your head! I was just thinking "Welp, maybe they won't notice!" LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #646 on: July 29, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »

My top three favorite old-school plots were the kidnapping stories, the crash stories (bus, car, plane - loved them all!), and the Brian heart problem stories.  I read so many of those!

I agree, Mare, it's definitely harder to come up with situations in which you can get the Boys all together without any of the family members around.  I love that they rented that house in London to write for IAWLT because it shows that the scenario of having them go somewhere all together to get away or get some work done is still realistic.

But remember the teenybopper stories that had them all living in the same house?  Usually right next door to the house that Mary Sue and her four BFFs lived in?  And across the street from NSYNC's house? LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #647 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

LMAO I can honestly say I have never read a story like that!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #648 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »

My God, yes! Last summer when I was writing Hope.

There were a lot of scenes in the crashed van. One scene I had a hell of a time writing was when the wolves finally showed up and jumped on top of it. My main problem was I kept visualizing this stupid van different ways and in my head it was a lot bigger than it actually was meant to be. Like almost tour bus big! I had it sitting on its side and because of that, I had a real problem with consistency when it came to those damn wolves jumping up on the hood of the van since they would have really needed suction cups on their feet to do that! Ugh that damn van gave me nightmares! LOL

I tried my hardest to change my mind but since I started writing that story, that scene had always been stuck in my head and you know how it goes, when you have something stuck in your head! I was just thinking "Welp, maybe they won't notice!" LOL

I didn't notice! LOL

I am anal about that kind of stuff too, trying to be exciting but also realistic.  I remember when I was writing one of the early chapters of Song for the Undead, I had two characters trapped in a car, surrounded by zombies, and I was going to have them crawl out of the moonroof.  I started to write it, and then I was like, I wonder if they would really be able to get through the moonroof quickly enough to escape the zombies?  So I drove out into the country late at night, parked my car alongside a cornfield, and climbed out my moonroof just to make sure it could be done LOL.

What's the weirdest/craziest thing you've done for the sake of a story?

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #649 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

LMAO I can honestly say I have never read a story like that!

I really did read at least one story that was just like that.  There was a girlband, and they lived next to the Backstreet Boys, who all lived in the same house, and NSYNC lived by them too.  They all went on tour together, and each girl had a love triangle with a Backstreet Boy and an NSYNC member.  And I read the whole damn story.  It was like a poorly-written boyband fanfic soap opera.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #650 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »

Here is another question...and i am only asking cause i am sittig here thinking about it. Have you ever found a scene that is just hard to write? Like no matter how much you try it just doesnt seem right?

I cannot think of a specific scene right now, so my short answer is yes, this happens to me all the time.  Usually I'm able to work through it and it turns out okay, though.  I'm trying to think of a scene I had to scrap because it wouldn't turn out the way I wanted it to...
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #651 on: July 29, 2014, 06:18:10 PM »

I didn't notice! LOL

I am anal about that kind of stuff too, trying to be exciting but also realistic.  I remember when I was writing one of the early chapters of Song for the Undead, I had two characters trapped in a car, surrounded by zombies, and I was going to have them crawl out of the moonroof.  I started to write it, and then I was like, I wonder if they would really be able to get through the moonroof quickly enough to escape the zombies?  So I drove out into the country late at night, parked my car alongside a cornfield, and climbed out my moonroof just to make sure it could be done LOL.

WOW that's hardcore right there! I would have loved it if a policeman saw you and asked you what you were doing. "Well Officer...I'm practicing just in case a zombie attack were to happen and I had to escape out of my moon roof!"  LMAO

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #652 on: July 29, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »

WOW that's hardcore right there! I would have loved it if a policeman saw you and asked you what you were doing. "Well Officer...I'm practicing just in case a zombie attack were to happen and I had to escape out of my moon roof!"  LMAO

LOL I know, right!  That's why I made sure I did it late at night in the middle of nowhere, so no one would see me and be like, WTF?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #653 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »

I don't think I've ever done anything that crazy actually. I guess the most I do is say my dialogue out loud before I type it up so I'm sure my neighbors either think I have multiple personality disorder or think I'm talking on the phone to people who constantly get themselves into hot water!

Who is this Nick and why is he always getting kidnapped? LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #654 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »

^ LOL!  Poor Nick.  I will say dialogue out loud sometimes too, not all the time, but usually just when I'm trying to figure out if it sounds right or not.

If the car thing was my craziest, probably the weirdest thing I've done is when I was writing Broken, I would walk around my dorm room trying to imagine what it would be like to walk with a prosthetic leg so I could describe it from Nick's perspective. LOL  Nowadays I could just watch a video, but this was back before YouTube was a thing.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #655 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »

I didn't notice! LOL

Dude I didn't know you did that. That's hilarious and awesome!

Craziest thing I've done for a story. Hmm... There is a mental hospital that wasn't far from where I knew the community college to be. I had to go in and volunteer anyway as part of an assignment. So I did ask  if I could see or work around the dementia patients because I was in the early stages of writing Remember Me This Way. (I'd told them it was because I was also doing a paper on it, which was true too LOL). I wanted to witness it for myself. One ended up being an alzheimer's patient which worked out perfectly. So I did see some of it first hand so I could apply some of those behaviors later.

I don't think I would've done it had it not been an assignment but I did use it to my advantage.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #656 on: July 29, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »

I talk out my dialogue all the time to make sure it sounds right. My family had long ago become used to it back when I was a teenager LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #657 on: July 29, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »

Dude I didn't know you did that. That's hilarious and awesome!

Craziest thing I've done for a story. Hmm... There is a mental hospital that wasn't far from where I knew the community college to be. I had to go in and volunteer anyway as part of an assignment. So I did ask  if I could see or work around the dementia patients because I was in the early stages of writing Remember Me This Way. (I'd told them it was because I was also doing a paper on it, which was true too LOL). I wanted to witness it for myself. One ended up being an alzheimer's patient which worked out perfectly. So I did see some of it first hand so I could apply some of those behaviors later.

I don't think I would've done it had it not been an assignment but I did use it to my advantage.

Hey, why not?  Field research!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]