Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 117557 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »

You're doing your masters!? Good for you! That takes some serious dedication. Five years of university was more than enough for me, thank you very much. LOL

Thanks!  My school district has a partnership with one of the state universities and offers these masters cohorts every few years.  It's awesome because the professors come to us; we meet for class one night a week at one of the schools in the district, so there's no traveling required.  They are also giving us waivers to cover tuition, so other than buying textbooks, it's basically free!  No loans needed.  And I'll make a lot more money when I'm done!  So even though it's been a lot of work, it will definitely be worth it.  I'll finish in July 2016.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »

I havent read all the replies just yet..but the all access was awesone lol. I will watch parts of it on youtube every now and again and laugh my ass off lol.

My fave part has to be where Howie is posing and Brian comes up and says OMG Howard..cencor ed....i laugh so hard i cry everytime lol

I will answer questions when i get on my computer tonight after kids go to bed. My phone hates the internet lol
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »

LMAO Yes!!  That was always one of my favorite parts too.
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »

I miss those videos! They are a bunch of goofballs ;)
~Carter~

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »

He needs to start openly bawling and sobbing and expressing his love for the others dammit! LOL

See I'm just cynical and thought that was all staged

Go throw a football with your cousin...

Say something nice about AJ

Kevin say something nice about Brian.

Now go be awkward with Howie!

That's how that entire video read to me. LOL

Maybe if I had watched it when I was younger and a die hard fan, I would have come away with a different impression.

Just had to say, reading this made me bust a gut! Lmfao!!! Now I'm gonna go on my laptop and try to join in on these convos too, lol.
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »

Here's a brand new question for you.

What are your favorite scenes to write?

I've enjoyed writing angsty scenes; I like putting them into situations that causes mental or physical stress, causes a break in one of them, hurt/comfort scenes, stuff like that, lol. Like it was stated, by Rose I believe, our twisted minds putting them in peril not only showcases bromances or bonds, but also tests and tries them and gives readers glimpse into how the boys' could possibly react to certain situations. At the same time, it's quite a challenge because we don't know exactly how they'd react, but rather base it off what we see of the guys in videos, what we know (ie, Nick and AJ's addictions, struggles, insecurities, etc.) and kind of go from there. I enjoy reading our different take on the guys, how we think they are or whatever.
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »

Just had to say, reading this made me bust a gut! Lmfao!!! Now I'm gonna go on my laptop and try to join in on these convos too, lol.

He he! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 08:36:38 PM »

I've enjoyed writing angsty scenes; I like putting them into situations that causes mental or physical stress, causes a break in one of them, hurt/comfort scenes, stuff like that, lol. Like it was stated, by Rose I believe, our twisted minds putting them in peril not only showcases bromances or bonds, but also tests and tries them and gives readers glimpse into how the boys' could possibly react to certain situations. At the same time, it's quite a challenge because we don't know exactly how they'd react, but rather base it off what we see of the guys in videos, what we know (ie, Nick and AJ's addictions, struggles, insecurities, etc.) and kind of go from there. I enjoy reading our different take on the guys, how we think they are or whatever.

I love that too!

Here's another question based on what Reb just said.

Excluding AU or obvious plot related character shifts - Has there ever been a story you read where the author's view on how the boys act was so completely off from your own it made you say WTF? Are these the same BSB guys I like? lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »

On the other side of things, what are your least favorite scenes to write?

How about characters? Who are some of your least favorite characters to write?

My least favorite scenes to write, as horrible as this may sound, would be any scene setting up a scene, or where the story takes place, lmao. I hate it because setting up the location of a story is really important; it helps when you're giving a visual to your readers, like okay here we are. I feel so sheltered living on this rock, that even researching locations to place my story I wouldn't do it justice, lmao.

Also, like other people have said, writing their significant others or families. Oh, and romance of course, which is why I stay away from it, lol.

I actually don't really have a least favorite character to write, I enjoy writing them all, lol. Whether I write them okay or not is another question, lol. I don't really shine much light on Howie, for reasons that people have stated, lol.

And here's a few more questions:

If you had to write about one boy who gave you the hardest time, who would it be?

If you had to write one genre that gave you the hardest time what would it be?

If you had to write a story about a duo, who would you have the hardest time pairing up? (Besides Howie and Brian because I think that's pretty much a given for everyone so let's just go ahead and say second hardest pairing. LOL)

Probably Howard, but like people said, what would you write about him, how would you write him? There's a lot more to him than he really lets on; like we know he's probably the most shunned member of the group, along with Kevin back in the days. It's a toss up with Kevin now though, because a lot of fans were receptive and loved his return, but some rather wished he didn't come back, lol. But yeah, how the boys joked during Unbreakable how Howie has more singing parts now and whatnot, he'd just smile and laugh in agreement, but how does it make him feel, you know... those complex things, lol.

As for writing the genre that gives me the hardest time, I won't be predictable and say romance, because I wouldn't want to write something that I just don't want to, if that makes sense, lmao. I mean, I've done it before, with that one challenge where we write something out of our norm, under a different penname, and guess who wrote it. But even looking back then and re-reading it over, I was like "man... I really suck at that!" Lmao!! I'd say probably fantasy or drama that doesn't necessarily stem from some suspenseful event, lol.

And finally, for a duo to write about... I feel pairing anyone up with poor Howard would be hard, lmao. Even though we know him and AJ started off as best friends, and Nick and him are super close now, he's just hard and I feel like pairing him with anyone would make it hard for me, lol. He's easily a background character for me, as horrible as that sounds, lmao, but he's still an integral part of group stories; like, I won't completely shun him out of stories, but at the same time its a challenge for me spending time writing him. Second hardest pairing for me would probably be... Brian and Kevin, for reasons that Mare stated, which only made me realize that when I read her explanation, lol.
~Me

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

I love that too!

Excluding AU or obvious plot related character shifts - Has there ever been a story you read where the author's view on how the boys act was so completely off from your own it made you say WTF? Are these the same BSB guys I like? lol

I dont think I have read much AU to be honest. Now when I write a Brian story I will always have it AU I dont know why because I think i portray him as a down home southern man and that is all i see him as. And he did a country song one time for CMT and it was AMAZING! So maybe that is why lol. But I cannot stand to write Leighanne sometimes as well so intead of him not being married to her as BSBer i just take the BSB out completely lol.
~Carter~

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »

I love that too!

Yeah, probably my own, LMFAO!!! I was re-reading Satan's Playground and was just like wow, I made AJ this badass that's gung-ho to do anything and everything. We know out of all of them, and he has said this himself, AJ is absolutely non-confrontational; which is kinda funny tho cause we often write him as a stubborn individual who's quick to go off verbally and get himself into trouble, lol. While him getting himself into trouble somehow doesn't seem farfetched at all, he seemingly puts on a front of being a certain way that may not exactly be true.

Having that said, as a continuation of the question above, and forgive me if this was already asked, which character is your favorite to read, and why? What are the common characteristic s that you see writers include of each BSB?

Maybe I'm being biased, but I enjoy reading writers take on AJ. Like I said, most of us writers will write him being the one that pops off verbally and gets himself into some sort of trouble, but at the same time, almost most of the AJ dialogue that I read cracks me up; sometimes to the point where I think AJ is written to have more wit and humor than Nick and Brian, lol.
~Me

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 11:14:52 PM »

You hit the nail on the head here.  I think that's why those angsty, hurt/comfort stories and all the suspense/torture fics are so popular in our fandom (and probably most fandoms).  You don't always appreciate the people in your life until something bad happens, and that's when those bonds are tested and you learn who your true friends are.  With the guys all living their own separate lives outside of tours and recording albums, I think those types of plots are even more important because they bring the boys together.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »

Yeah... the most extreme example I can think of was one I read off AC a long time ago where Nick was a rapist.  He was like cocky, arrogant, ladies man Nick twisted to the extreme dark side, and he spent the whole story physically and emotionally abusing this girl who was working for him on his tour or something.  It was really awful.  I do think Nick can be a jerk and probably was kind of a douche back then, but not to that extreme.

Oh, I've also read one where Howie was this homicidal maniac who manipulated and threatened Nick to get him to do sexual favors for him... that was pretty out of character LOL.

Otherwise, what I notice more is just stereotypes taken to the extreme, to the point that they don't seem realistic anymore.  Like Kevin not just being the "fatherly" one, but literally treating the other boys like babies.  Or Brian being written as this country bumpkin whose parents live on a farm.  Lexington is the second largest city in Kentucky; Brian did not grow up on a farm LOL.
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:14 PM »

i tend to read more Nick stories than anything..idk why that is but i will always go for them. I think its probably the way I think he is in real life. I have never met him but from what I have seen from interviews and stuff i think I have a pretty good idea and so do some writers.

I will also read a lot of Brian ones too. Same goes with the statement above. But i have met him and he was the sweetest guy like ever lol.

Right now I am reading one AJ story which is weird cause I totally wouldn't go for it but the title was interesting so i thought I'd give it a shot and its Fault Lines by Kyrie. Its such an interesting story and I see a different side of AJ cause i think of him as this bad-ass and in this story is completely opposite lol.
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 11:36:25 PM »

This kind of goes along with Reb's question, but do you think there's a difference in the way the Boys tend to be written now that we have social media and YouTube and can see more of what the guys are like in real life when they're not onstage, compared to how they were written back in the old days when all we really knew were their stage personas and the images that they put out there?

Like AJ always had the "bad boy" persona, and sure, he's struggled with drugs and alcohol, and he's got all the tattoos and stuff, so he looks the part, but underneath that, he's also a loving father who's devoted to his wife and daughter.  I don't think I ever made AJ too "bad" in my old stories, but I do see him differently now than I did when I first became a fan.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36