Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 117532 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

I am all alone here tonight! :( lol where is everyone?

Like I said earlier I feel like one of my trademarks is titling every chapter. Is there something you tend to do in every story as a symbol to show it's you? I guess I'm asking if you have a "thing" lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »

Speaking of titles...I'm scraping the idea of going back and adding them because I have no idea how to do it since I upload as a web page. There's too much coding and I don't want to mess anything up so I'm just going to start titling them next update and once again, hope no one asks! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »

I am usually lurking. Just havent felt chatty. Lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »

I used to title mmy chapters but I stopped because it got boring for me. So for Finding Carter I used Disney movie quotes instead and that worked better.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

I tend to use quotes often as well. I love looking up quotes that fit the chapters.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »

Speaking of titles...I'm scraping the idea of going back and adding them because I have no idea how to do it since I upload as a web page. There's too much coding and I don't want to mess anything up so I'm just going to start titling them next update and once again, hope no one asks! LOL

I don't upload as a web page, so it might look different, but can't you just go to Edit, hit enter a couple of times to create some white space above the chapter, and type the title there?  If you want to code it to be, say, centered and bold, you would type it like this:

<center><b>Title</b></center>

And if you need to code in the line break(s) after the title, use <br /> for each line of white space you want.

I don't know if this will help or not because I just post mine as plain text, but it seems like it should be easy to go back and add in a title either way.  You could also just change the chapter titles so at least the titles show up in your table of contents.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:50:01 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »

Sometimes I will do something special at the beginning of each chapter in a story, but only for certain stories.  Every chapter of Song for the Undead starts with a journal entry written by the character who is featured in that chapter.  In Secrets of the Heart, which featured four main characters, I put a picture of a heart at the top of each chapter to show which character it centered on; there was a different kind of heart for each character.  In one of my old stories, Years of Grace, I used a stanza of song lyrics at the beginning of each part, similar to how some of you use quotes.

The only thing I do formatting-wise that is common across all my stories is to put three asterisks *** between scene breaks and at the end of chapters.  Once in awhile I write stories with chapter titles, but usually I don't.  Sometimes I have a prologue and epilogue; sometimes I don't.  It depends on the story.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »

I know the html codes, that's not the problem but when you click on the actual chapter to edit it, maybe because it's uploaded from a webpage it really really has a lot of code on there to the point that it's almost impossible to discern where the chapter even starts.

It's weird and I'm afraid I'll mess it up. lol I might play around with it though, we'll see.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »

Oh I do this ~ * ~ for scene breaks lol

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »

I was gone school shopping all evening...woot for tax free weekend!  And i came in under budget for two kids go me lol

But as far as writing the wives go i find Leighanne the easiest cause she is always out there. Always on twitter, instagram etc...same goes with Baylee when he is featured. I picture him goofy like his dad..pictures and videos have proved it to be true lol.

It seems Leigh & Kristen are more reserved. They arent photographed often enough to have a sense. I know Leighs instagram account is locked and only family is allowed to see pictures and stuff. I dont know about her twitter or anything like that. Kristen is the same as well havent checked it out to be honest.

Rochelle i dunno about either. She seems just like AJ..and she is so cute with little Ava. I love seeing pictures of them together when they are out and about :)

I kinda have mixed feelings about Lauren. I follow her but I dont know. She seems like a really nice person. I wil probably get to know more about her in the tv show (i hope i can find web airs cause i had to get rid of satalite =( ). But i dont hate her unlike so many other people. As long as she makes him happy i don't really give a rat's butt.

and as far as the question that mare asked about something I do for every story. I try and find song titles for name my stories after. I find it the best way to describe my story i guess. For example "Happily Never After"...Nick defiantly didnt live happily never after....it was a complete train wreck of a story.
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:04 PM »

I name a lot of my stories after BSB songs too.  I like using a line from the song instead of the actual title to make it more subtle, but if the title fits, I'm not above stealing titles.  I've kind of always known I would write a story called Sick as My Secrets someday because that title is too awesome not to use.  I think it was a contender for Curtain Call at some point, but I'm glad I saved it for my current story because it fits even better.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »

I didn't even know that was a title of a BSB song. Is that one of the unreleased tracks or is my memory failing me once again? #badfan lol

I hardly ever use song titles or lyrics in my stories. I'm not sure why. I generally have a hard time coming up with a story title. It's a very rare thing for me to have a title in mind when I'm writing a story. It's usually not until a few chapters in that something will come to me.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

Yeah, it's an unreleased track from Unbreakable.  It's awesome!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNd2y-O0L74  If you like it, I can send you the mp3.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that so you'd go on thinking I came up with that title myself LOL.

I have a hard time coming up with titles, too, which is partly why I tend to use song lyrics.  I also do it as a nod to BSB, but it's also a cop-out that saves me from having to come up with something original LOL.  When I actually do use an original title, it's usually because it popped into my head early in the planning of the story and stuck.

I'm the opposite of you, though; I can't actually start writing a story until I have a title.  I'm way too OCD.  "Untitled" is not an acceptable file name for me LOL.
~Julie

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »

I'm the opposite of you, though; I can't actually start writing a story until I have a title.  I'm way too OCD.  "Untitled" is not an acceptable file name for me LOL.

that is totally me too! I will NOT write a story until I have a title for it. I cannot stand a story being called "untitled". That is probably why i use song titles lol.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »

I go with "The new one" lol
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36