Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 117523 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2014, 06:13:42 AM »

I really do need to stop making everyone hate the poor guy LOL Sorry, Kevin.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2014, 06:14:53 AM »

You would probably like 2Ge+her (the movie, anyway).  I wish that was on Netflix!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »

How flexible are you when it comes to plotting your stories?

I know some of us are planners, while others are more "go with the flow"/"fly by the seat of your pants" writers, so this might be more of a question for the planners, even if you just plan in your own head instead of in an actual outline.  But when you plan for something to happen in a story, do you tend to be rigid about sticking to your plan, or do you often change your mind?  What would it take to change your mind about something that was all but set in stone?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »

I know some of us are planners, while others are more "go with the flow"/"fly by the seat of your pants" writers, so this might be more of a question for the planners, even if you just plan in your own head instead of in an actual outline.  But when you plan for something to happen in a story, do you tend to be rigid about sticking to your plan, or do you often change your mind?  What would it take to change your mind about something that was all but set in stone?

I am not someone who comes up with outlines, but I also am not someone who just wings it either. I'm kind of in the middle. I always know how I want to start and end something and also have a pretty firm grasp on the direction I want to take but the road to that conclusion is very flexible as far as I'm concerned. I do change my mind a fair amount of times while writing, I mean nothing overly drastic but sometimes my characters really do take over and bring the story down another road I wasn't expecting it to go and as long as it doesn't really affect the final outcome too much I will trust them and go with it.

The only time I will completely change my mind when it's set in stone is if it's becoming too predictable. Alluding back to the other thread and the reviews rant for a second... I really take my reviews as a barometer of how successful I am at going from point A to point B, especially the action stories with layered plots. If I see the reviewers are constantly guessing right, it makes me think I'm being too predictable and maybe I'll change one facet of something to stir things up. Also if I see a few people asking the same questions, it makes me think I'm not accurately portraying something as clear as it needs to be so I might change or simplify something to help with this. Whatever the Night May Bring is a perfect example of a story that I made some decisions based solely on what people were saying in reviews.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »

I see we were chatty yesterday lol. I came on here to find three pages to catch up on. And I agree Mare reminds me of a cat too. :p

Damn work getting in the way of me being online and stuff. It's not my fault people love tacos haha

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

What's with all you people and work? LOL

I don't do "work" :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »

lmao I know. That's our fault.

On another note have you guys seen this other Swedish commercial? It's a perfect example of the Kevin stereotype LMAO. All of them really, but especially Kevin.

http://youtu.be/Y9MCj6FApFM

It's the "sequel" to this one. (Posted mainly for Reb) http://youtu.be/MVNQlBLgdRI

Oh my! I never knew commercials like these exist. I just watched them 3 times in a row and might watch again after posting this. lol Thanks, Rose!
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #307 on: August 03, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »

I don't do "work" :P

LOL are you allergic?

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #308 on: August 03, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »

/sigh i have missed questions. I guess this what happens when crazy mil gets well crazy...gosh i swear last night i was almost related to Nicks family! And on top of it i am not feeling well :(
~Carter~

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »

lmao I know. That's our fault.

On another note have you guys seen this other Swedish commercial? It's a perfect example of the Kevin stereotype LMAO. All of them really, but especially Kevin.

http://youtu.be/Y9MCj6FApFM

It's the "sequel" to this one. (Posted mainly for Reb) http://youtu.be/MVNQlBLgdRI

I remember seeing the prequel video by chance, lol. They looked good in the jumpsuits and tank tops and tuxes, lol. And I totes love the second video; they are just sooo adorbs!!! Kevin being the correcting big brother, Howie like well shit, Brian like wtf, AJ like yeah stupid, and Nick looked like just an adorable lost little kid, so clueless! Lmao. Love it, need more! Hahaha.
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »

I need to learn to be a planner honestly. My problem with my writing was I'd come up with an idea, go with the flow of it, then my mind takes me to all these different places that I try to incorporate somehow. I need to definitely organize my thoughts; it's okay to go with the flow, as long as you stay on your flow path and not drift away, which is what I often do, lol.
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »

I tend to plan similar to Mare in that I have a beginning and an end in mind and maybe a few plot points that happen in the middle, but the path it takes me to get to those points changes as I write.  I usually only plan a few chapters ahead as I'm writing, sometimes not even that, but I always have that end goal in mind.

That said, there are times when I have my heart set on writing one of those plot points, whether in the middle or at the end, and when I get there, I'm not sure it even still works with the story I've written up to that point because of how things have changed.  I have learned the hard way what happens when you force an idea that no longer fits the story, so I'm trying to be more flexible.  It's hard to abandon an idea that you've had in your head for a long time though.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

It is really hard to change something when you have your mind set on keeping it. I totally agree!

I just finished reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King which was an awesome book and I highly recommend it! But he did what I absolutely love doing myself but sometimes get criticized for, and that's leaving the ending very open.

So here is my question: How do you feel about open endings? Do you like everything to be tied in a neat bow before you actually consider a story to be finished or do you enjoy leaving some of it out for interpretation?

Another one: How do you feel about sequels? (kind of in regards to the first question and open endings) When you write a sequel do you know you're going to do it at the beginning or it is something you don't realize until you are done with the first story? What's the motivation behind your writing a series or a sequel to a story and have you ever regretted your decision to do it?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants writer and have learned over the years that sometimes that can really bite you in the ass. It's a lot easier to write yourself into a corner if you don't plan at all. It really depends on the story. I usually know how the beginning will be, I know the end, and I know certain "fated" events that should happen. The rest I leave to the characters to tell me. Sometimes with certain stories I'll be rigid. I tried to be that way with Show Me but I've literally changed almost every chapter's plan as I went so whatever LOL.

Sometimes if it's something I had in my head for awhile it's a lot harder to change my mind. Most times though if it's too far out of reach for the character I'll let them change it. For example in RMTW Nick wasn't supposed to tell Kevin nearly as early as he did but as I was writing it I could just sorta "feel" Nick urging me to let him do it. I did and I feel like it worked out better that way.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »

It is really hard to change something when you have your mind set on keeping it. I totally agree!

I just finished reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King which was an awesome book and I highly recommend it! But he did what I absolutely love doing myself but sometimes get criticized for, and that's leaving the ending very open.

So here is my question: How do you feel about open endings? Do you like everything to be tied in a neat bow before you actually consider a story to be finished or do you enjoy leaving some of it out for interpretation?

Another one: How do you feel about sequels? (kind of in regards to the first question and open endings) When you write a sequel do you know you're going to do it at the beginning or it is something you don't realize until you are done with the first story? What's the motivation behind your writing a series or a sequel to a story and have you ever regretted your decision to do it?

Sometimes I do. He left the ending of the Dark Tower series pretty open but while it pissed most people off it fit the story oddly enough. I still find that to be my favorite thing Stephen King's written. Another fanfic example would be It Stays. There's no happy ending and the ends aren't all tied up but it's still a great way for it to have ended.

As a writer, I do tend to have things tied up. I might need to try an open ending sometime LOL.

Yes, I started a sequel I NEVER should have. Only one. Mainly because originally Just Another Day was gonna eventually become very angsty lol. I was gonna delve into Cally's relationship with Nick and then kill her off. Her death was gonna send Nick spiraling into a dark depression and I wanted to explore that. For some reason I decided it was too much for one story. (This was in my fly by the seat of my pants writing days.) So I ended JAD at a nice stopping point, planning to give it two sequels: their relationship and then the angsty third one after I killed her. Bad idea. Exploring their relationship wasn't enough for it's own novel (a common problem in most romances) without it being a soap opera. I don't even think it got past ten chapters.

So if I ever do a sequel again, I'm gonna do it knowing from the get go. Maybe then it'll actually be done properly LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36