Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 117589 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #390 on: August 06, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »

Name a story that is one of AC's "best kept secrets" - a story that you think a lot of people would love, if only they would click on it.  Maybe it's an older story or a story with a summary that doesn't reflect what it's really like or just a story that, for whatever reason, has gone undiscovered.  Don't give us one of your own, although that can be another question if you'd like.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

The somewhere i belong series was one of my faves. It was by Teri. She no longer writes fan fiction but we still talk about it every once in a while on facebook. Her stories are some of thr best. They have a ton of reviews. If she was stuck shed ask me for advice so on and so forth. That is all i can think of as far as older stories.
~Carter~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »

The Garden by Louise. It's a great story that I don't think got much attention. It's Kevin centered so that might be why.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »

There are quite a few that I could recommend here but I'm going to start with one I always talk about & that's "Documentaries" by Izzy. I'm not sure how popular this story was at the time it was written, but it continues to hold up as one of my all time favorite angst stories ever!
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9871

Another favorite of mine that I'm not sure many people have checked out is "Brothers" by jess20
Its just a great little bromantic story that I absolutely loved.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11006

"On the Rails" by our featured author this month filiklepto. Its a historical Au but its so well written you can't help but fall in love with the characters she created.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9453

"Rewind" by carter-orange. Steph is a great writer and I loved this story. Its a great going back in time & wishing you could fix your life - type stories.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10168&warning=4
"Unwinding Truth" by Steph & Lore is a great sci fi au for those of you into that.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10831

The Other Side of Nick Carter by ritz. I love this story because its more like a series of episodes then a novel. Its about Nick & his ability to talk to the dead. If you like The Ghost Whisperer you'll enjoy this one.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10684

I'm sure there are tons more & these might be considered oopular by now, who knows but when I read them they had pretty low review counts.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »

The Garden by Louise. It's a great story that I don't think got much attention. It's Kevin centered so that might be why.

I lovedthat story!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »

I swear I haven't fallen off the face of the earth again, lol. I was busy with work and trying to prepare for this incoming storm, lol. Call me crazy, but I'm excited for it... now if they just cancel work so I can cozy up and write/read or some shit, then I'm set! Lol. It's been a madhouse trying to shop for things in preparation, but I felt this sick sense of excitement having my sister gone out to buy our family cases of water, non-perishable food, batteries, flash lights, etc. Sans for any destruction that may come, I'm ready for this storm! Lol.

Now let me journey back and read and try to answer! ^_^
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #396 on: August 06, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »

Totally agree on The Garden. That was such a good story. I always click on stuff that looks different and interesting. Not always popular stories either.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #397 on: August 07, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »

The Other Side of Nick Carter by ritz. I love this story because its more like a series of episodes then a novel. Its about Nick & his ability to talk to the dead. If you like The Ghost Whisperer you'll enjoy this one.
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10684

Thank you very much for the mention, Mare. This made my day.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »

Speaking of that, if you could Improve upon anything for yourself as a writer what would that be?  What are you doing to try to help yourself with that issue. (not sure if that has been asked before or not) 

This is fanfic-specific, but I would like to write more bromantic stories that focus on just the guys and their relationship with each other.  Most of my stories have original characters who get in the way of that, but it's been nice writing a novel where the two main characters are Backstreet Boys.  I would like to write more like that, featuring all five more equally.

My main story right now, Sick as My Secrets, is helping with that, and I have some other ideas for more BSB-centered stories to write when I'm done.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2014, 01:17:28 AM »

Name a story that is one of AC's "best kept secrets" - a story that you think a lot of people would love, if only they would click on it.  Maybe it's an older story or a story with a summary that doesn't reflect what it's really like or just a story that, for whatever reason, has gone undiscovered.  Don't give us one of your own, although that can be another question if you'd like.

First of all, I will third "Garden" - great story by the very talented Louise!

I'm gonna list some older stories that newer members may not know.  There are some amazing stories on AC that have very few reviews because they were already finished by the time their authors posted them on AC, so they didn't spend much time on the Most Recent page, and you'd probably never find them if you didn't know they existed!

The Nick & Lizz Series by Jenna: http://absolutechaos.net/viewseries.php?seriesid=34
From the title, it sounds like one of those neverending romance series.  It's not.  It is DRAMA and SUSPENSE and LOTS OF IT!!!  You have to enjoy over the top, soap opera type stuff to appreciate this series, but if you do, this is the series for you!  I was ADDICTED to this thing when it was being written in the early 2000s.  The only problem with reading it now is that the third story in the series is missing, so there's a gap when you get that far.  If anyone reads, PM me, and I can try to fill in the gaps with as much as I remember (which is not much, anymore - sad. :( ).

Cover Me With Dreams by Heidi: http://absolutechaos.net/viewseries.php?seriesid=88
This is my favorite fanfic, and it doesn't have ANY reviews, which is very sad!!  The author, Heidi, isn't writing anymore, so it's posted under the archive account, which is maybe why people don't bother to review it, but if you like romance and haven't read it, it's a must read!!!  I don't even particularly like ROMANCE romance, but I LOVE this story!!!  There's a short story that sets up the novel, but it's not required that you read it first.

Between the Lines by Carrie: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9179
Another old story posted on the archive account that only has a few reviews.  A lot of us have mentioned this story before, which should be enough to tell you that if you still haven't read it, you need to!  It's AU, but don't let that be a turn off.  I initially did not want to read this story because of that, but once I did, it was SO worth it.  It's a great group story that will make you laugh a lot and probably cry a little too.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »

The Nick and Lizz series was one of the first things I read. I loved that one.

I also loved this one called Perfection, it's a story about Nick having an eating disorder. I forget who wrote that one but I love it.

I read so many stories back in high school that I cannot remember most of them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »

That was a Jenna classic as well. Perfection.

I have another question for everyone. For those of you who do write ahead of yourselves, when it comes to posting how do you choose to do it? Do you update regularly on a specific day of the week or every day or just whenever or all at once? How do you decide when to post and do you think it has affect on your readers?

If you tend to post a chapter as soon as you're done, how long do you wait for editing purposes?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »

I agree about The Garden by Louise and I also like her sci-fi one which is unfinished called Homecoming (I think that's the name)

I've missed so many questions in here! Damn not being able to get on here in work time anymore :(

I tend to post a chapter when I'm done, I'll read it a couple of times to check for typos and then post it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »

I have followed the "one update a week on a certain day" schedule before with certain stories, but usually my updates are pretty random.  When I'm trying to stay a certain number of chapters ahead of myself, I will update whenever I finish a chapter so that I'm not catching up to myself.  If I'm way ahead of myself, I'll post a chapter every few days, at least once a week, or whenever I feel like it.  I don't think it matters to my readers.  I know they'll read when they feel like it too.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #404 on: August 07, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »

I generally post two chapters a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The people reading my stuff had come to expect that often ending reviews with "see you on Saturday!" and the like. It was nice because there was none of the demanding "update!" comments, because they knew when the update was coming.

Because of that, when I post one-shots I try not to post on either of those days so I don't spam people lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36