Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 115643 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #465 on: August 15, 2014, 03:31:10 AM »

I took creative writing in high school but i was really not
Good at presenting my work to other people. I wrote for myself as a hobby but other than  that the class work got to be challenging because it was homework. It
wasn't fun for me in a school setting.

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #466 on: August 15, 2014, 05:25:08 AM »

New question...has there ever been a story you wanted to write but just couldnt put the plot together? Or ever want to write about a certain member but just cant seem to get youraelf motivated to do so?

I've come to realize that my mind is a complete and utter mess, lol. I'll have an idea, my mind with think up all these things to twist the idea, make the plot grow, and as I begin to type it out, it's like word vomit really, it all comes out at once, and when I'm done I'm left staring like "Well shit... where was I going with this again?" LOL. My mind is notorious of thinking of things I didn't think before and wanting to add them.

My mind is currently struggling with putting together a plot for an idea that's brewing in my head, lol. It's like my mind is going "Okay, so this, this, this, and this is gonna happen... but how, why, when, to whom..." and then when I get that all figured out, my mind will think of the logics like "well, do we reach a conclusion, how do we get there, where do we go from here..." yadda yadda yadda.

And as horrible as this may sound, I can't motivate myself to write about poor Howard. :(
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #467 on: August 15, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »

Have you ever taken a creative writing class or something similar?  If so, what was it like?

Do you write original fiction or any other kind of writing (besides fanfic) for fun, and if so, do you share it with people in real life?

I took a creative writing class in high school and it really wasn't for me. We had to take two English courses in order to graduate and it was recommended to me that for my second English I take a technical writing class. So that's what I did and that's what my job is now lol.

I have written some original fiction but I don't really share it. The funny thing is that I have friends who are very active in the writing community in this city and I've gone to their readings and stuff. I have thought about taking another creative writing class or trying to join one of their groups but it's impossible to find information about it. There's also a massive local bookstore here that has a self-publishing machine which I have thought about using. When you do that they also offer a public book launch/reading at the store to get the book out there and sell it in their local section. It's pretty cool actually. I would need a lot more confidence (and a professional editor, obvs) to be able to do that lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #468 on: August 15, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »

^ That is cool about the bookstore's self-publishing thing, but the idea of doing a book launch/reading with something I'd written would terrify me too!

I love the quote in your signature, Steph!  That's really what I wanted to comment on. LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »

I took a creative writing class in high school...i still wrote fanfiction lol...only thing i did was change the last names and have iy be an au...passed thr class with an A lol she never knew the difference ;)
~Carter~

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »

^ That is cool about the bookstore's self-publishing thing, but the idea of doing a book launch/reading with something I'd written would terrify me too!

I love the quote in your signature, Steph!  That's really what I wanted to comment on. LOL

Haha thanks! I figure it's good advice :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #471 on: August 17, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »

I've always wanted to take a creative writing class or workshop. I might do that somewhere along the line.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #472 on: December 05, 2014, 05:07:19 AM »

I have hardly been in here for quite some time. But being that I've been on somewhat of a writing funk myself, a question came to mind.

Have you ever gone on a hiatus from writing? Was it due to life getting in the way? Or just being uninspired?

How long was your writing break, and how did you get yourself the spark to write again?

I should have said "questions" but hope that this sparks a discussion. I know I could sure use some tips to bring
My muse back.

usako

« Reply #473 on: December 05, 2014, 06:05:19 AM »

I have hardly been in here for quite some time. But being that I've been on somewhat of a writing funk myself, a question came to mind.

Have you ever gone on a hiatus from writing? Was it due to life getting in the way? Or just being uninspired?

How long was your writing break, and how did you get yourself the spark to write again?

I should have said "questions" but hope that this sparks a discussion. I know I could sure use some tips to bring
My muse back.

The longest break from writing was during my college years, especially after finished it. I was totally burned out.
Then came the TIU tour, I discovered BSB fiction and slash and I've started writing again. Since then, I don't think I've ever gone through a long break, maybe one or two weeks but it was mostly due to real life. Like last months, between being always sick and life, I've only managed to update one story and translate (and that's only because the story is already finished. lol)
My problem isn't inspiration because I've always one or two ideas. My problem is my lack of self confidence. ;( and my always thinking that I'll never be good enough or the idea is just stupid.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #474 on: December 05, 2014, 06:32:31 AM »

I always tell myself I shouldn't care what people think, but I have a habit of overthinking sometimes and it works against me. I have little self confidence myself, although it's gotten better in recent years.

usako

« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »

It's not really caring for what others might think, I've made peace with myself and I know that I write and love a genre and a character that only very few people would care. lol It's more a battle with myself, I always want to write as perfect as possible and, mot of the times, I would start already thinking that I won't be good enough no matter how much I try. lol

karahleigh

• Team MC
  • Fledgling
  • I <3 Nick Carter
    • My Confession
« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »

I took a slight break while I attended college, but anybody that knows me well enough already knew that. I dabbled in other genres (NASCAR mostly because I was so involved in the sport, wanting to work for them), but BSB fan fiction was always in the back of my mind.

And when I came back to BSB fanfic, the majority of my loyal readers were still there, because many of them followed me to my NASCAR stories, even though they didn't even watch NASCAR or was interested in the sport. Which I thought was kind of awesome.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #477 on: December 05, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »

My muse back.

I don't think I've ever "officially" gone on hiatus because honestly, I don't think anyone really (truly) cares that much about what I do lol

That being said, if you look at the stories I've written... it took me six years to finish writing H&H, it's been three years since I last updated my other major unfinished story and most others, depending on how complicated the plot is, take me about a year to write. A lot of that reason is just life, I've gotten different hobbies as I've gotten older, less of my life is spent sitting in front of my computer and more of it is on my phone and I can't be productive in that environment.

Some people think if you aren't updating once every couple days then that stretch between updates is a "hiatus" but I don't think it is. That's just the time that I would consider to be the working time. Especially since I've started finishing my stories before I post them. So I may be writing but you guys wouldn't know it... maybe I am right now even... OOOH lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #478 on: December 06, 2014, 06:17:12 AM »

I'm on hiatus now because during the school year I just don't have the time or energy to write. As far as getting back into it, no idea. Personally I am completely uninspired and uninterested at the moment. Hopefully that will change, we shall see.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #479 on: December 06, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »

I don't think I've ever "officially" gone on hiatus because honestly, I don't think anyone really (truly) cares that much about what I do lol

That being said, if you look at the stories I've written... it took me six years to finish writing H&H, it's been three years since I last updated my other major unfinished story and most others, depending on how complicated the plot is, take me about a year to write. A lot of that reason is just life, I've gotten different hobbies as I've gotten older, less of my life is spent sitting in front of my computer and more of it is on my phone and I can't be productive in that environment.

Some people think if you aren't updating once every couple days then that stretch between updates is a "hiatus" but I don't think it is. That's just the time that I would consider to be the working time. Especially since I've started finishing my stories before I post them. So I may be writing but you guys wouldn't know it... maybe I am right now even... OOOH lol

I think if you posted a new story it would completely bring readers back to the site.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36