Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 115603 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #495 on: December 16, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »

Some people think if you aren't updating once every couple days then that stretch between updates is a "hiatus" but I don't think it is. That's just the time that I would consider to be the working time. Especially since I've started finishing my stories before I post them. So I may be writing but you guys wouldn't know it... maybe I am right now even... OOOH lol

That's a good point, that everyone writes at their own pace.  I used to be one of those people who literally updated every day with at least one chapter (though, granted, most of my "chapters" were under 1000 words) and averaged a story a month, but I have obviously slowed down considerably.  I typically take years to finish something... but, in most cases, I do finish eventually.  I think I need to start doing what you're doing and not posting until I'm done.  I just worry I would have to disappear for years to do that LOL.  I guess I need a secret side project... like you have, right?! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #496 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »

Have any of you also experienced a lull in your reading as well while you're not writing? I know some of you aren't big readers but I am curious on this as well. If not, what stories have you been reading lately? (I'm looking for new stories to read myself)

I also have not read any fanfic since summer.  I think the last story I read was Dodging the Daylight, which was fantastic.  I haven't even had time to browse AC much lately to see what's new, so if anyone's found a new favorite, do share!  If something really sparked my interest, I would make time to read it.  Reading requires much less mental effort than writing (although TV requires almost none, which is why I spend most of my free time lying on the couch in front of it, half-asleep).
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »

That's a good point, that everyone writes at their own pace.  I used to be one of those people who literally updated every day with at least one chapter (though, granted, most of my "chapters" were under 1000 words) and averaged a story a month, but I have obviously slowed down considerably.  I typically take years to finish something... but, in most cases, I do finish eventually.  I think I need to start doing what you're doing and not posting until I'm done.  I just worry I would have to disappear for years to do that LOL.  I guess I need a secret side project... like you have, right?! :)

I just find it helps because I want to know I'm going to finish it and not leave it hanging but also there are so many times when I'll go to pick a story back up and think, damn I wish I hadn't written that scene or done something else because I want to change something and can't because it's posted. Now I get the chance to do real/significant editing, which is nice.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #498 on: December 17, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »

You are going to love the documentary!!  There was not a dry eye in the house just during the 20 minute clip they showed us on the cruise.  Of course, it was Kevin, and he was crying, so, you know... but still, it was really good!!  I think it will be good for inspiration, especially for writers who love the bromance.

Ahhhhhh this post just got me soooo excited for the documentary!!  :P

In relation to the discussion about taking a hiatus from writing, I took a break after I finished Dodging The Daylight simply because life got in the way. I recently started working on another story a few weeks ago, but I am hesitant to post the first couple of chapters because I don't want to commit to posting updates and then have to stop if I become too busy. Although, I feel as though getting some feedback might help me get back in the writing mindset. So, I'm kind of torn about whether or not to post what I have written.  It's funny - I thought that I would have more downtime now that I'm on maternity leave, but the opposite is true. Apparently, taking care of a baby is WAY more work then my paid full-time job.  ??? LOL

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #499 on: December 18, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »

Ahhhhhh this post just got me soooo excited for the documentary!!  :P

In relation to the discussion about taking a hiatus from writing, I took a break after I finished Dodging The Daylight simply because life got in the way. I recently started working on another story a few weeks ago, but I am hesitant to post the first couple of chapters because I don't want to commit to posting updates and then have to stop if I become too busy. Although, I feel as though getting some feedback might help me get back in the writing mindset. So, I'm kind of torn about whether or not to post what I have written.  It's funny - I thought that I would have more downtime now that I'm on maternity leave, but the opposite is true. Apparently, taking care of a baby is WAY more work then my paid full-time job.  ??? LOL
How old is your baby?  I had a baby in August, and I have a four year old at home.  I also work part-time, but my big job is the one at home!  So, I feel you!  I had more time when my oldest (and actually writing and posting here) was about one and had a consistent naptime routine down.  Sometimes, I would write when he napped.  Other times, I would try to get some housework done.  But of course, I only work part-time, so not everyone has that luxury.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #500 on: December 19, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »

My baby just turned six weeks and she sure keeps me busy all day long!! LOL I admire you, having a four year old and a newborn. I don't know how you manage to do everything! I'm having a hard enough time just keeping up with one baby. Haha.

Unfortunately, working part-time will not be an option for me. I will be going back to my full-time job when my one year maternity leave is over. Until then, I intend to enjoy spending time with my daughter. Luckily, she tends to nap for a few hours every afternoon so I have been using that time to do some writing. I probably should be doing housework ... oh well.  :P

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #501 on: December 19, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »

You are going to love the documentary!!  There was not a dry eye in the house just during the 20 minute clip they showed us on the cruise.  Of course, it was Kevin, and he was crying, so, you know... but still, it was really good!!  I think it will be good for inspiration, especially for writers who love the bromance.

I really hope so because honestly, the trailer hasn't even done much for me. :-/
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »

I came across this post on Pinterest yesterday...

Bad Ways to Start a Novel: http://www.wattpad.com/4667955-bad-ways-to-start-a-novel

Beginnings are almost always hard for me, and I have probably used just about all of the ways they say NOT to start a novel at one point or another.  What are your thoughts on this list?

What would you consider the best and worst beginning you've ever written and why?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #503 on: December 31, 2014, 12:38:20 AM »

As I'm reading Harry Potter again for the millionth time... I was curious, has anyone here read a fanfiction more than once, and why did you find yourself reading it again?

For me, I've read a couple of Mare's more than one time just bbecause they're amazing. Plus I read Hawk and a Handsaw a couple weeks ago because Ilove a good Nick and Brian story. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #504 on: December 31, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »

I love to reread both books and fanfics.  Most of my older favorite fanfics, like Where Can We Go From Here and Cover Me With Dreams, I've read many times.  I've turned some of them into ebooks so I can read them on my Kindle in bed, which is my preferred way of reading these days.  I don't like sitting at a desk reading off a computer screen for hours at a time like I used to.  Sometimes I reread stories for the nostalgia, sometimes I reread for inspiration for what I'm writing, and sometimes I reread just because nothing else sounds good.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #505 on: January 01, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »

Happy New Year!

Do you have any writing- or reading-related resolutions this year?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #506 on: January 01, 2015, 05:06:04 AM »

Yes! To stop slacking! lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #507 on: January 01, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »

I came across this post on Pinterest yesterday...

Bad Ways to Start a Novel: http://www.wattpad.com/4667955-bad-ways-to-start-a-novel

Beginnings are almost always hard for me, and I have probably used just about all of the ways they say NOT to start a novel at one point or another.  What are your thoughts on this list?

What would you consider the best and worst beginning you've ever written and why?

That was an interesting article. Not sure if I agree with all of it. They didn't really leave much to go on. I have done many of those things as well though.

I'm not sure what my favorite first line is. I can barely even remember story names. I think for a real novel my favorite first line of a book was from "Nineteen Minutes."  I don't recall what it was but it sucked me in immediately.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #508 on: January 01, 2015, 02:54:21 PM »

As I'm reading Harry Potter again for the millionth time... I was curious, has anyone here read a fanfiction more than once, and why did you find yourself reading it again?

For me, I've read a couple of Mare's more than one time just bbecause they're amazing. Plus I read Hawk and a Handsaw a couple weeks ago because Ilove a good Nick and Brian story. 

Thanks, Tracy!

I'm not someone who re-reads things. I'm more of a once and done girl. Maybe when I first started getting into fanfic, I might have read Documentaries and Can You Keep a Secret more than once. I have gone back to maybe read a favorite chapter of a story but very seldom the entire thing. I'm the same for novels and movies as well.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #509 on: January 01, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »

Happy New Year!

Do you have any writing- or reading-related resolutions this year?

I really miss reading and thanks to my kids and all the B&N gift cards, I have made a vow to start reading daily again. I've already finished "Revival" and just started "Leaving Time" 
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36