Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Show & Tell  (Read 2427 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Show & Tell
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »

I feel like I have completely lost the ability to show instead of tell. All day I've been trying to write, trying being the operative word and trying far too hard. I keep writing something, finding it incredibly "telly" then going back and trying to make it more showy but then it just seems pretentious.

I've been reading a bunch of blog posts and articles to try and get myself into the right mindset, like this one: http://emmadarwin.typepad.com/thisitchofwriting/showing-and-telling-the-basics.html but it's just not coming to me.

Any advice? Or am I just reading too far into it?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
Re: Show & Tell
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »

I know what your going through I find myself more 'telly' too. I say just re-read some of your own stories, Maybe that will give you a spark.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Show & Tell
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

That was actually the first thing I did, which is rare for me to do. It was actually really strange because I had no recollection of the actual writing process for completing those stories and the entire time I kept thinking "I couldn't have written this..." lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.