Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for December Story # 95: Fear of Flying by Pengi  (Read 8747 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for December Story # 95: Fear of Flying by Pengi
« on: November 30, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »

Hello and happy December. I hope all of our American friends had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Our 95th featured author is Hannah aka Pengi and the story you picked to read is Fear of Flying.

Here is the link to her story: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10215

Hannah is also an active member of My Confession so feel free to hop over there as well. Wherever you choose to read her stories, come back here and let her know what you thought about this one or any of her others.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind answering your questions as well.

Happy reading :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for December Story # 95: Fear of Flying by Pengi
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »

Here is a loving message from one of your loyal readers.
Some know her as Hannah, some know her as Pengi, some know her as llama, but to me she's Paul. The first story of Hannah's I ever read was Something Beautiful and the story definitely lived up to it's title. From the first chapter I was hooked, Hannah has a way of entrapping you within her world of fiction. One thing I loved about it, something that caught my immediate attention is her comparison of Brian and Nick's relationship to that of Chris and Gordie from the movie Stand By Me (which is also one of my favorites) as I had also made that connection, I thought it was cool someone else besides myself had that same idea. With Hannah you sometimes forget that this is fan fiction, the stories are so well written and so enchanting you feel like you've picked this story up at the book store next to The Fault In Our Stars.

I remember when Hannah teamed up with Jen (evergreenwrite r), now the two of them by themselves are amazing, but as a collaboration it's something else altogether.  I began to refer to them as the Lennon-McCartney of BSB fan fiction (Jen being John and Hannah of course being Paul as mentioned above). That was enough to break the ice and I got to know them both personally. Aside from being a most excellent writer, Hannah is an amazing person. She's so fun and quirky, if you're having a bad day she'll make you forget all about it, intentionally or not. She's sweet and caring and you can talk to her about almost anything (except of course Target). From all the people I've met online, Hannah is most definitely one of my favorites and I'm glad I can call her a friend.

Congratulation s Paul! and Merry Early Christmas!
Lots of Love,
Sam (aka Ringo)   
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »

Aw...  :'( Mucho bueno mi amiga *flings hugs around Ringo*

Thank you guys so much for voting me to Number 6 on the Top 10 here on AC. I was aghast when I found out! I can't believe I made the list at all, much less so high up! Thank you times ten million for reading and enjoying the stories I weave in my crazy lil head. I appreciate the fact that so many people identify with and like the stuff I have imagined and I hope to keep writing - whether in fan fiction or in original fiction - for many years to come.

Again, thank you so much.

:bighug:
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

karahleigh

• Team MC
  • Fledgling
  • I <3 Nick Carter
    • My Confession
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

My Hannah <3<3<3

I didn't get to vote in the Top 10 list thingy, but Hannah strives to make me a better writer and come up with more original ideas. She's been there to pick me up when I'm down (in non-fanfic and fanfic related ways) and meeting her and having adventures with her is my favorite thing. She's an amazing friend and has become one of my best friends.

And we will always have Llama and Tiaras.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »

^ Pictured here, the last day Llama stayed inflated without a patch. Thanks AJ. lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »

Congrats Hannah!

It'll be interesting for anyone who doesn't know where the whole llama thing started to see how it all began! I suppose you should be thanking fracktrain for the idea that has now been your "thing" for four years lol

It's not often (if ever?) that the featured story is a challenge submission and a comedy, it's quite refreshing.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

karahleigh

• Team MC
  • Fledgling
  • I <3 Nick Carter
    • My Confession
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:08:25 PM »

In honor of Llama and "The Fear of Flying"

http://boysontheblock.com/2014/06/llama-llama-official-mascot-boys-block/

Llama's adventures (with a Facebook gallery of all the photos, including some from this past cruise that crack me up).

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »

I actually used a picture of myself with the little llama as my headshot for a portfolio exhibition I was part of a few years ago. They said they wanted a silly photo and I figured looking into the eyes of a tiny furry llama was a good start.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »

You can never go wrong if you put a llama in it.  ;D

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »

So let's talk about the story... when you saw the criteria for the challenge (llama, peanut butter, etc) what were your initial thoughts? Did you have any other ideas for how to execute this challenge before this one?
~Maple Jellybean~

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:17:02 AM »

Not a single other idea. I instantly saw the scene where Nick and Brian are back to back, surrounded by peanut butter crazed llamas in the middle of a Peruvian field after a plane crash. The image was so vivid, I just ran with it. It spun out from there.

Admittedly, that's usually how I write. I get one really vivid scene in my head and I write out from there. I'm usually driving when it happens and I think to myself: "OK, so that's a cool scene. But how did we get there? Where does it go after that?" And I start storyboarding until I figure it out and the next thing you know I have a full story summary.

The funniest part is sometimes the scene that inspired the story doesn't even end up in the story in the end by the time I get to that part of the story.

But no, there was never another concept for the prompt when I saw the challenge. I instantly went to the insanity that is Nick cooing "Good Llama...."

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »

Congrats, Hannah!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »

An interesting side note would be that I didn't have any particular fondness (or hatred) of llamas prior to this story. Once this story was written, it became an inside joke really quickly with friends - especially Jen (evergreenwrite r) - and I, and it was that inside joke-ness that really made the llama thing take off... It just kind of spread like wild flower. So yes, I definitely owe the originator of this challenge a huge nod for the llama origin story.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 03:34:29 AM »

Congrats on the top ten. I voted for this story as it was the first one I read by Hannah. I love crazy stories like this one, it's one of my personal favorites. Hannah is an amazing writer even with more serious stories.... I've laughed, cried, cried while laughing and constantly look for the Next button.

My favorite scene in Fear Of Flying was nick and Brian bring surrounded by the llamas, before Nick lost his pants.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »

Crazy stories can be the most fun to write sometimes... takes the pressure off the realism and puts it entirely on the creativity of the story. I like trying to achieve a balance between the two. I'm big on trying to stay in canon, if that makes sense. I feel like it adds to the challenge of writing a little bit. If you can create a believable, fictional world based on cold hard fact it's like rewriting history. Obviously Fear of Flying wasn't one of the stories that challenged me in that respect. Half the stuff that happens doesn't even make sense, lol. But it was fun.
Pages: [1] 2