Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: How to get back after a hiatus  (Read 7340 times)

BSBShania

• Innocent Bystander
  • Just Dancing
How to get back after a hiatus
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »

Hey guys. It's been a year since I was working on "Leap of Fate" but with college, a job, and dance school I don't know how to get back in the grind to get it finished by already the summer (prefererably by my birthday in May). I really want this story done so I can do the summer challenge.  :(
Shania

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: How to get back after a hiatus
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »

I said this in the question thread, but, simple as it sounds, the thing that helps me get back into a story the most is to re-read it.  From the beginning if necessary, but definitely the most recent chapters.  I not only have to remind myself where I left off, but get back in touch with the feel of the story.

Another thing that helps me is to talk to someone else who has read (and, ideally, enjoyed) the story and is willing to talk about it with me.  I find this works best with collaborations, when we can actually brainstorm together, but it's also encouraging to hear from readers who want updates.  You can bounce ideas off them too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Nice to see some red blobs on here for once. It's been awhile lol

Unfortunately I don't really have much else to add to the conversation. I do hope you get to finish by the summer though!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »

I'm glad to see red blobs too!  I feel like I've been out of the fanfic loop these last few months, but I have still been checking the forum regularly... just not much action, apparently because everyone's been feeling the same way.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:01:11 AM »

Yes, I've also looked in and saw that the place wasn't very active.  I've been a bit out of the loop too.

I suppose a lot of us are in the same position.  I'm going to have to re-read my story so that I can carry on writing too.