Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FS for March Story #98: It's Complicated by Julilly  (Read 14083 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for March Story #98: It's Complicated by Julilly
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »

So, tell us about this story. How did you come up with the idea & how long have you secretly been working on it before you posted it?

I don't really remember the moment when I came up with the idea for this story, to be honest. The concept was actually a secret love child subplot of an AU story I had been working on and I kind of plagiarized myself lol This is one of the stories I would work on when I wanted something "easy" to write. The crime dramas, although fun for me to conceptualize, are hard to write. They take a lot of research and planning, and I'm very particular about getting details right and not just making things up for the sake of convenience. I prefer using things that happen in real life.

To write a short, 10 chapter, drama or romance just sort of flows out of me easier. It doesn't take much plotting or research because it's real life and I can relate back to my own experiences. That's not to say I didn't do any research for It's Complicated because I did. There were themes that are explored that I have no personal experience with so I read a lot of blog posts and forum discussions to get an idea of the emotion and experiences of other people so I could relate it better to the characters.

I started writing it at the beginning of May, then left it roughly half finished for a while and came back to it this January. I completed it in two days at the end of January, had Saka-Steph read it and let me know her thoughts, then I went back and edited it, let it sit for a few more days and edited it again. So it has undergone a few revisions. Nothing major but I would realize 'oh, I wanted dialogue about [ x ] to happen' and I'd go add it, or 'I used that phrase too many times, gonna cut it out.'
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

Just spent the last couple of hours reading It's Complicated and have to say, I loved every moment of it! 

Thank you! When I scrolled past the story today and saw there were some reviews I figured they must have been from you. You're very reliable when it comes to reviewing :D I was happy to see that you found the themes relatable and genuine, also. Since that's sort of what I was going for LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »

I give you so much credit for being able to write these stories in ten chapters.

Why do you prefer AU? When you come up with a story idea, do you automatically picture the guys in the rolls or does that come after your characters have been developed?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

I give you so much credit for being able to write these stories in ten chapters.

Why do you prefer AU? When you come up with a story idea, do you automatically picture the guys in the rolls or does that come after your characters have been developed?

I actually find it easier most times to wrap things up quickly. I often worry that I haven't fleshed stories out enough and push myself to add more to them.

It's Complicated isn't AU, neither is History Repeating...wh ich is super weird for me to not have any current AU stories on the go. I find canon stories a lot more complicated to write than AU. I love the freedom of being able to work outside the restrictions of five guys in a boyband. Though I am working on a non-AU story that manages to get around that LOL

To answer your question, when I come up with a story idea the characters are usually set. I don't develop the roles then fit the "actor" into the role. I try to find at least something, even if it's a really small part, in the boys' personality that they share with the AU character. It's not random. Whether I successfully execute that remains to be seen :P
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »

I didn't realize that your latest ones were not AU. lol

I think you're pretty good at giving us the perfect amount of detail in your stories.

What is the longest story you've ever written and have you ever considered writing in another fandom?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »

I didn't realize that your latest ones were not AU. lol

I forgive you. LOL I actually thought a bit more about your AU question when it comes to "assigning roles" to the guys. One of the complaints about AU that I've read over the years is that it can't be fanfic if the boys are out of character.

I think that the goal of writing AU is not to just write whatever you want, but to take that character, personality traits and all, and change their surroundings. I've read an equal amount of canon stories where the boys are out of character as I have AU stories. I don't think it's just their occupation that makes it true to life.

One thing I hate is the late 90's stereotypes that everyone read in Teen Beat that have held up all these years even though we've seen that the boys have so many more sides than we ever got to see before. I've always tried to see the other side of the coin, to bring out the parts of their personalities that we don't see on the surface. For example, I have often made Brian a villain in my AU stories, which years ago would have seemed out of character but these days we've seen that he has a dark, angry side and can be a bit of a self-righteous dick. Deviating from him being the class clown, silly, goofy, cartwheeling buffoon doesn't necessarily mean it's out of character.

So I can find something in most of them to fit a variety of character types.

/ENDRANT lol

What is the longest story you've ever written and have you ever considered writing in another fandom?

I regretfully admit that my longest story is... 63 chapters long. The secret of my success when it comes to keeping my stories short is a singular focus, telling only one story without getting sidetracked with other needless dramatic subplots. That is where I went wrong with that behemoth. There are way too many subplots, the story arc went somewhat like this: Beginning - Introduction of characters - Apparent conflict - Full crisis - Resolution - Full crisis - Resolution - Full crisis - Resolution - End A few too many crises!

I've never considered writing in another fandom. Not sure why, probably because there isn't another fandom that I'm really interested or involved in. I think if I hadn't have started doing this when I was a teenager I probably wouldn't get into it at this age. I just don't get as passionate about things these days, plus the internet is such a time suck! :P
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »

I always thought Brian was a self righteous dick lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »

I always thought Brian was a self righteous dick lol

Much in the same way I've always felt Kevin was a dirtbag lol
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 03:23:18 AM »

Yes, but you were wrong. Lol :-p

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »

I am hardly ever on here anymore but I wanted to congratulate Julilly on the top ten. Congrats! I loved Stockholm Syndrome when I read it and Hawk and a Handsaw.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

Are you working on anything else at the moment?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »

Are you working on anything else at the moment?

I wish I could say yes, but alas. I'm just hoping to finish my last few unfinished posted stories so I can hang up my hat for good.
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 03:57:39 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that you are stopping for good. Which stories do you plan on completing or are they not posted on the sire yet?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that you are stopping for good. Which stories do you plan on completing or are they not posted on the sire yet?

I need to finish history repeating. There's obly a few chapters left. After that one, whether the rest I have unfinished get completed and posted remains to be seen.
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: 1 [2]