Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for March Story #98: It's Complicated by Julilly  (Read 14082 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for March Story #98: It's Complicated by Julilly
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:44:22 AM »

This month is devoted to my partner in crime. The girl I share a brain with, Julilly.

I was thrilled when I saw the amount of love thrown her way when I asked for you all to vote for the top ten. She lands very firmly as our third all time favorite author.

Everything about Julilly is complex. Her writing style is well above average. Her storylines and plots are completely intricate, exquisetly executed, and her dialogue is believeable and precise. No one can write a crime drama as well as she can. Her detectives and crime-speak, is amazing. As a writer, she sails far above most of us on the site but yet, if you were to tell her this, you'd get one of these  :crazy: in return.

Julia likes to make everyone think she's a hard, Kevin hating meanie but the truth is, she is one of the kindest, sweetest people I know. She is intensely passionate and caring and willing to help anyone who needs it. When several of our stories were plagiarised a few years back, she spent hours of her time getting proof together and defending us from the boneheads that refused to care. When our site wigs out, it's Julilly who jumps all over it while pretty much all I do is nod and look pretty.

She's not afraid to try new things. She bravely tried sugared tomatoes over ice cream when I mentioned it during one of our sillier conversations. She moved cross country to make a better life for herself. She would probably try to ride a mechanical bull if given the chance cause that's how she rolls...

I am so proud and honored to call her my friend. I know long after this fandom disappears our friendship however odd at times, will remain.

Congrats on your month. I hope you enjoy all the gushing without feeling too uncomfortable. And if not...too bad. Deal with it! Lol

Here is the link to "It's Complicated."
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11339

Feel free to come in and ask questions or comment  ;D

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:20:56 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for February Story #98: It's Complicated by Julilly
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:56:11 AM »

Since we have officially hit the top three, I'm stepping up the love and praise. I know you've been curious as to who would be speaking about you. I figured I'd start with your oldest friend.

When I was asked to write something about Julilly, I jumped at the chance. Then when it came down to it, I had no idea where to start. I have known her for most of my life, well at least half of it. How does one summarize a friendship that has spanned so long? How do you explain how much one person means to you when they have been there for you through so much? I'm almost at a loss for words but as anyone who knows me, knows that I ramble on without any problem. This will no doubt be one of those times and I am not even the slightest bit sorry. Julilly is an amazing person who deserves to shine in the spotlight, even if it's just for a month at Absolute Chaos.

The first time I interacted with Julilly was when we were both in high school and signed up for a role playing group on Yahoogroups. We got paired up together and the rest was history. The group kind of died off then continued on a message board. We followed but soon realized that we didn't really seem to fit in and split off to do our own thing. We start to write in an aim chat room while talking via ims about what we were writing or what we were going to write. As teens, we wanted drama all the time and wrote things that we shouldn't have been writing at that age. I don't even know how we knew some of the dramatic stuff we came up with. There was a four hour difference between us so on the weekends, I would wake up early and go to the family computer to wait for the dial up to log in so I could start writing with Julilly. During the week, I would rush home and she'd be waiting. Her parents would tell her to go to bed and once she was sure that her parents were asleep, she'd sneak out to write some more. There would be times she would go quiet because her dad would go downstairs and when we look back now, it is pretty hilarious. At the time, we were both scared to get the computer/internet taken away.

The first time I met Julilly was when she flew to Florida where I was living. Many people asked if it was weird and I can honestly say that it wasn't. As soon as we saw each other, it was as if we had seen each other our whole lives. There were so many memories on that trip. The mysterious way my car stereo died, playing arcade games in skirts, her Mexican flag taco salad, all of Disney World in one day, whale piss and a getting smoked in the eye by a bee. There were so many others but I would be here awhile if I was to tell them all. We had a lot of fun, even if there was a moment where my roommate and a friend came home late at night singing about wearing their sunglasses at night at the top of their lungs. I did get to eat fresh lobster and stink up the apartment though. It was here that we got matching tats, ones that were nicknames

I wouldn't see Julilly again till I told her that my sister and I were going with my mom to New York City for my mom's birthday. She ended up going with her mother. It was nearly two weeks of fun with a few patches that we both would rather not think about. I had a horrible trip to Washington DC and she got really sick but we made the best of the time. We ate at some great restaurants, saw a show on Broadway and bought more things than we should have. It was great to finally meet her mom and she was able to meet my mom and sister. There were some great memories made and I wasn't sure when I'd see her again. It was a few years later when I made the journey from Washington to Nova Scotia. It was my first international flight and I managed to survive the layover in Toronto. Nova Scotia reminded me a lot of Washington and I was able to eat all the seafood I could get. It was wonderful. There were some that thought I had an accent and I ended up highly amused. Whale watching, good food, museums and an amusement park were on our to do list that we conquered. There was also animal sanctuary with the Godfather Llama that I have a picture with. Just be careful of the crazy emus.

Throughout all the years that we knew each other, the times we saw each other, we always joked that the one thing that brought us together was not something that we had ever done together. I had gone to a handful of Backstreet Boys concerts and went to nearly all of Nick's solo shows for his first album. I sent her my pictures, told her of my adventures and vice versa. We joked about me taking a stick Julilly to the Black and Blue shows I went to. It wasn't till we were on the same BSB cruise that we went to the same Backstreet Boys' concert. It was a decade after meeting and we had a blast. We went to the next cruise together and roomed together. Steph was included in the roomie. There were so many memories from that cruise that all I have to do is text Julilly a quote from the cruise and I know she's laughing as much as I am.

These last few years I've seen her the most. Most recently, she made the journey to Seattle where we saw Nick and Jordan perform before making our way up to Vancouver to see the show there. She was able to meet my dad finally and see my mom and sister again. I showed her around where I grew up and all the places I referenced when we wrote together. It was a short trip but now that she lives closer, I hope I get to see her more when the weather is nicer. She's so close yet so far. There were so many times we talked about being roommates and looked into trying to see if we could make it work but it isn't easy for Canadians to come to the States or vice versa. We used to joke that we'd just live on either side of the border and be able to yell at each other over the invisible line that divided the countries.

While we started out as strangers, writing Backstreet Boys fanfiction and continued to write many stories that we called chats, we developed into more than just writers. We became good friends and I am proud to say she is one of the best ones I've ever had. There were periods of our lives where communication crawled to a halt but we could always pick it up as if nothing kept us apart. When we were younger, we fought much like sisters do but now that we're older things are much more chill. She refused to let my stubbornness pull us apart. There have been so many challenges in life for both of us and there still is. I know that there are times when we both wonder when we're going to catch a break. I do my best to keep positive thoughts because she really deserves it for how hard she works and for all that she has been through.

It has been years since we've written together but that doesn't matter. We've both continued to write, her more so than myself. I think it's wonderful that she's being featured this month. I hope she can get an idea how great she is, both online and in person. I'm blessed to have her as a friend and she will forever be the Lippy to my Angel.

Karen
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:58:53 AM »

And now we'll move on to another person important in your life.

"I'm out front of the hotel."

"Where? I'm out front of the hotel."

I looked out my window and my eyes met with Julia's looking out her vehicle window, too, directly across the street from me. We'd both pulled up in front of the Best Western in Montreal at exactly the same moment from opposite ends of the street. This was no little feat, by the way, seeing as we'd each traveled for half a day from our respective homes - her from Nova Scotia and me from New Hampshire. It was the first time we'd met, both of us thinking that we might be in for a weekend of Oh-God-What-Did-I-Get-Myself-Into proportions (as we'd both had experiences with Batshit Crazy Fans in the past, this wasn't an unfounded fear). We'd talked some on the Internets, of course, prior to this fateful meeting, but never on the phone or in any capacity other than Twitter, AC Message Boards and - oh God was it long ago enough that LiveDaily was still around? I think it might've been.

We parked and hauled our stuff into the hotel, which was very, very beige excepting for the jewel tone carpeting in the hallways and rooms and began the awkward getting-to-know-you phase that starts all weekends of this sort. Upon discovering that, though I'd been to Montreal before I'd never really experienced some of the quintessential Canadian things, Julia all but dragged me the equivalent of about 20 million city blocks to the nearest Tim Horton's and to a CVS to obtain the now legendary bag of Ketchup Chips that has since become a symbol of our friendship (I've gotten a bag of Ketchup Chips for Christmas for like four or five years running now). I experienced Poutine for the first time during that trip, too, thanks to her insistence that, no, it's not weird to have gravy on french fries with cheese curds. Really.

Despite how odd this all might seem to an outsider, it was really awesome, damn it, and the roots to one of the coolest, albeit long distance, friendships ever. (Admit it, people, you're jealous.) From "destination weddings" aboard the BSB Cruise in 2011 (where I became an honorary member of the "ey team" after my assigned room mate turned out to be a nudist hobbit) to ninja-style shopping for Whoopie Pies in Boston grocery markets, we've had our share of exciting adventures.

But Julia's awesomeness isn't limited to our friendship. Nay, she's all around awesome and now your votes have proven that for generations of BSB fan fic writers to marvel upon. Put her lights up in name, AC, because Julia is your number three author of all time (that officially makes her twice as awesome as me, your number six). She also happens to be one of the two incredible mods on this site, working tirelessly on the upkeep, keeping this amazing outlet for all our crazy Backstreet fan fics alive. Where would we be without Julia? Sad, with a lot less great stuff to read, no place to post our stories, and my text message inbox would be hella boring.

And also we wouldn’t have #SparkleyPenises in our lives.

So Julia, thanks for all the amazing times we’ve spent together and all the hard work you put into this website and your stories. You are truly a wonderful person, a great friend, and a talented writer.

May you ever be on the top of the Most Recent list, my friend.

I’ll guard your position there with my spork army.

And one day I’ll send you all those Pop Tarts I bought you for Christmas, I swear.

xoxo,
Hannah
(and Llama, too)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:00:36 AM »

And of course...

It’s hard for me to believe that Julia and I have been friends for less than five years, I feel like I’ve known her my whole life! We have done so many things together. Our initial meeting was through the Toronto NKOTBSB show, which she already talked about in my month. Over the years our trips have become less about the Backstreet Boys and more about visiting with each other. I have a lot of fond memories from our adventures, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most as I write this was our 13 hour road trip from Halifax to Boston. That might sound like a long time, but I can’t imagine a better way to spend half a day - laughing and talking and listening to music with someone I wish I got to see in person far more often than I do.

It’s difficult to form a close bond with someone when you live halfway across a very big country, but we’ve done it. I think the key to that is our similar brand of snarky comments towards Nick’s instagram photos.

All joking aside, Julia is a fantastic writer and well deserving of a spot in the top ten. I’ve had the pleasure of having early access to a number of her stories. She’s always looking for an honest critique and while I try to the best of my ability to find things to improve on, the fact is I’m constantly blown away by her writing. Her characters are so real and so developed. It’s like she knows every one of these people inside and out. Her writing is honest and all of her stories come out sounding so fresh. She’s not one to sugarcoat in real life or in her writing - she tells it like it is and I think that’s what’s so great about her stories.

Her most recent works It’s Complicated and 30 Days come to mind, with characters that were gritty and relatable. When reading It’s Complicated I had no problems understanding every individual character’s motives. I wanted to smack and hug all of them at the same time because they were layered so well.

This is not only true of her recent stories, but older ones as well. Before she and I were close friends I read Satin and Silk and had the same thoughts. Historical fiction has never been a favourite genre of mine, but I was pulled into that story so effortlessly and really enjoyed it.

I suppose I’ll finish this off by simply saying congratulation s to Julia, who is a great writer and an even better friend.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 06:10:56 AM »

And here is some more love for you :)

Hachi aka Chris had this to say about Julilly via twitter:

"She's one of those people who can write a compelling story no matter the genre."
In particular, her suspense stories will keep you up reading late into the night to find out what happens next. And If you haven't read one of her fics yet, then do it because you're missing out!"

And...

I've got to admit that when I first met Julilly she inimidated me; but she's actually a really cool, helpful and down to earth person. She's a very talented writer with unique ideas and I really enjoyed her story, Stockholm Syndrome.

Also...

I've been a fan of Julilly's stories since I joined the site, I think the first one I read was Hawk and a Handsaw or My Mind's Eye (which was written under another name at the time).  I loved both stories and so read just about everything else she had on here.

What I love is that they are so diverse and well told.  Julilly has written historical romance (which is something I also have a love for) and then stories involving murders or kidnapping.  But whatever she writes, she does it so well.

Well done Julia, you so deserve to be where you are!

And lastly...

Her stories suck you in and keep you wanting to know more. As soon as you read one chapter, you're checking repeatedly the rest of the day for another one. She makes me keep my pointy sticks sharpened. :)

This is the case with a few authors on here for me - lol. But right now, it's Julilly's that has caused my pointy sticks to be sharpened and at the ready.

~Lenni~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »

Congrats, my friend. Enjoy your month!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »

Congratulation s, Julilly!!  You are a fantastic writer and an amazing friend as well!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:18:13 AM »

Congrats!

I've been a fan of yours forever and happy to say a friend as well. :).

I remember loving your stuff all the way back to AUs where you had Nick be a android LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:03 PM »

Mare called it correctly when she predicted that the gushing would make me uncomfortable. It most certainly has, but in a good way I suppose.

I've actually been staring at this blinking cursor (not unlike my experience in writing! LOL) for nearly thirty forty-five ninety-seven minutes trying to think of words. As I mentioned in the top ten thread, I don't take compliments well but for the first time in my life I'm going to try. The amount of thought and consideration that went into all of these notes is just astounding to me. I am grateful to have all of you in my life. It's hard to believe that I "met" Karen mere months after I moved to Canada from Europe 15 years ago, Mare 12 years ago when we both volunteered to moderate AC and most of the rest of you roughly 8 years ago when this board came to life.

Those of you who know a bit more about my upbringing know that I moved around a lot as a kid so these friendships, as long-distance as they may be, are the longest ones I've ever had. You all have such varied backgrounds and experiences, I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from all of you.

This is me saying thanks, I guess. To everyone who felt I was worthy of a vote and worthy of your nice sentiments. You're swell. I may just have to keep you around for a bit. Now stop trying to make me have the feels.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:46:08 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for March Story #98: It's Complicated by Julilly
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 05:22:36 AM »

Wow, I can't believe it's been 15 years! No wonder we share a brain lol

Nothing makes me happier than giving you feels :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:54 AM »

Wow, I can't believe it's been 15 years! No wonder we share a brain lol

Nothing makes me happier than giving you feels :)

It does sort of make me happy that you get satisfaction out of squirming discomfort. I just wish it wasn't mine lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

I've been making people squirm for the past 7 months and I'm proud of that. Although I'm sure some are more squirmy than others lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »

So, tell us about this story. How did you come up with the idea & how long have you secretly been working on it before you posted it?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »

This is one story by Julilly that I haven't read, so will be onto it this month :)

Well done and very well deserved!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »

Just spent the last couple of hours reading It's Complicated and have to say, I loved every moment of it! 
Pages: [1] 2