Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FS for May: Story #100 - Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost by Mare  (Read 15270 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: FS for May: Story #100 - Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost by Mare
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »

I love Tim, in a twisted way.  He is one of my most favorite original characters in fan fiction because there is so much depth to him, and that is what makes for a strong villain.  Even though he was a threat to our Boys, I couldn't help but feel for him, in a way.  He was batshit crazy, but he wasn't completely evil.  I feel like he just wanted to be loved, but had never had a good example of what a healthy relationship looks like, so, as Pammy said, he had no idea how to interact with people.  I love this story, and I'm so glad it was chosen because I think it's probably your best yet in terms of the character development and quality of writing.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »

Mare, as someone who is very vocal about a dislike for original characters, what do you think about how much people talk about the original character in this story? Is it an incentive for you to turn this into a completely original concept?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 05:07:26 AM »

I love Tim, in a twisted way.  He is one of my most favorite original characters in fan fiction because there is so much depth to him, and that is what makes for a strong villain.  Even though he was a threat to our Boys, I couldn't help but feel for him, in a way.  He was batshit crazy, but he wasn't completely evil.  I feel like he just wanted to be loved, but had never had a good example of what a healthy relationship looks like, so, as Pammy said, he had no idea how to interact with people.  I love this story, and I'm so glad it was chosen because I think it's probably your best yet in terms of the character development and quality of writing.

Thanks so much for saying that. I would agree with you. I feel like this fanfic was my best work. I'm really proud of every element of it and would choose this one to represent my writing. I am beyond flattered that you feel Tim is one of your favorite original characters, just wow! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:48 AM »

Mare, as someone who is very vocal about a dislike for original characters, what do you think about how much people talk about the original character in this story? Is it an incentive for you to turn this into a completely original concept?

Aww, I don't hate original characters at all. I think they are a vital part of good storytelling. What I've been vocal about is how I hate it when an original character becomes the MAIN character in a BSB fanfic. I feel like BSB should be the main characters in this fandom & that thinking on my part will never change lol

I feel like Tim is an example of an original character who plays an important role in the storytelling but remains just one component of the challenges the boys have to get through. I am completely flattered that so many people love Tim and as I've mentioned to Pammy in my reply to her, he was meant to be a main character in an original fic. But he kind of worked as the supporting guy in this one. I would definitely love to explore more possibilities when it comes to him, but as far as his life in BSB, his story is complete.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »

Were you at all surprised by the reader response to this story?
Is there any behind the scenes info you think fans of the story would find interesting?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »

Were you at all surprised by the reader response to this story?
Is there any behind the scenes info you think fans of the story would find interesting?

I was pleasantly surprised by all the new readers I gained for this one.

There really isn't anything interesting about the writing of this one except, I actually enjoyed writing it. I mean really enjoyed it and spent a long time trying to find the perfect poems to go with each chapter.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »

What's your favourite scene and why?
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »

I have a few favorites from this story, but I think my absolute favorite scene was a Howie chapter called Shattered. It was the chapter where Howie is recaptured by Tim and reunited with Nick. Everything about that chapter I loved lol from Howie looking at himself in the mirror and not recognizing himself, to the scene with him explaining to Nick how he didn't get help and how sorry he was. Up to finally coming to the realization that the only was he was going to save himself & Nick would be to kill Tim and how scared and unwilling he was to do that. Writing such a vulnerable Howie was pretty awesome.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »

Tim is a great original character, he's just so twisted and completely nuts! I loved how he kept on about his birthday, like they cared lol. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »

Aww thanks! I modeled the birthday thing after some fully grown adults I know that are completely transfixed on their birthdays! lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »

Lol I didn't know that's why he's so fixated on birthdays but that's hilarious.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

Yes! I had to find a way to mock that lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »

Hilarious!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »

As we come into the final week of this featured month, I hope everyone has taken the time to read Hope is... and have enjoyed it!

Mare, since you posted this story as you wrote it, is there anything you look back and wish you had written differently? What is it and why?
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »

The only thing I have really regretted about this story is my descriptions and actions during the van scenes. I really screwed those up big time because when I initially began writing the first scene after the crash, in my head I pictured a tour bus but when I wrote it, I went with a van. The problem was as I started to describe how the van crashed, I wasn't thinking van, I was thinking big tour bus. So a lot of those action sequences just don't make much sense, especially when the wolves finally show up. Believe me I cringed every time I read those scenes back knowing it was too late to go back and change things. We'll just have to go with the idea that it was a really big van I guess lmao...oops!
Pages: 1 [2] 3