Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Summer reading challenge part one: The participants!  (Read 13358 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Summer reading challenge part one: The participants!
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:32:38 AM »

How will it work?

If you are interested in participating in the challenge this year all you have to do is fill out the form below. I would like you to choose anywhere from 1 to 5 stories of yours that you feel deserve the chance to be read. You probably want to avoid stories that are really popular and well read because the chances of someone picking it as a challenge will be slim, but even still if it does fall under that category but yet you feel there are some who have avoided it until now, add it to the list.

Obviously if you've only written one or two stories, just use those!

Once you have filled out the form, you MUST participate in the challenge. Even if no one picks one of your stories you are agreeing to read one of the ones posted. If you are a reader and not a writer you must pick TWO feel free to read more then one, especially if you happen to pick a short one. In fact, if you do pick something with 15 chapters or less, I will ask you to read two.

The reading rules pretty much are the same as always:

Once you commit to a story you have to see it all the way through to the end and give feedback along the way. Feedback which consists of more than "Great job!" or "Can't wait to read the next chapter!" Real feedback having to do with what you just read.

I will be leaving you 'friendly' reminders to do so!

You may pick something you started reading but never finished. I mean just started, maybe only got to the first few chapters and then fell behind and stopped. Please don't pick something you've already read all the way through or only have a few chapters to go before you're done. Where's the challenge in that?

Try to pick something that's slightly out of your comfort zone, but it's okay if you just go with something you might have just missed the first time through.

So, there ya go ladies! If you plan on participating, fill out the form below by Friday, May 23rd

Please follow these rules below before you decide to participate. Even if you've done this before, the additional rules were put in place for a reason.

Some new rules starting in 2015:

~ You can only submit a collaboration if all writers are participating in the challenge.  The story can be submitted by both people and it can be read by two different people but I think it's fair. Otherwise, it can be an awkward situation for the person reading it. And you never know if the other person who wrote it would want it to be read for a challenge.

~ When you volunteer to participate in the challenge, before I allow you to submit stories you need to meet the following guidelines:
-Under your username where it says reviews, you must have at least 200 there, unless you are a newer member (less than two years) then I will allow 100.
- I will check to see if you respond to the reviews that you receive, if you don't then this challenge is not for you.

~Before I allow a story, I will actually click on the first chapter and if it's laced with a ton of grammatical errors, I will not allow it as part of the challenge unless it's fixed.

The one thing I am trying to get rid of, is the element of feeling like something is homework or just not reciprocal. When a story is full of errors it becomes more of a chore for the person reading it and could be pretty awkward if that person isn't accustomed to giving concrit. In turn, no one gets anything out of the challenge. Same on the opposite end, if you happen to have someone reading your story who doesn't give concrit and isn't the best at reviewing or responding, it becomes very one sided.

I would prefer only a handful of people who take this seriously than a ton of people who don't.

Happy Reading!  :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Summer reading challenge part one: The participants!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:12 AM »

If you are including more than one story put them all on ONE form. You can always edit your post to include them later but it'll be less confusing that way. Remember you can choose up to 5 stories to submit for this challenge.

Do not submit a story that is less than 10 chapters long or something you just started posting. We do not want to have to wait for updates during the summer. People should be able to read at their own leisure. It doesn't have to be complete, but complete enough...

You may submit one shots but if you do, you need to submit at least 5 -10 of them together as a compilation  otherwise there's not much for the participant reading it to do.

Summer Reading Challenge participation form for the non writers

AC screen name:
What were the last three stories you read?
What is your favorite fanfic of all time?
Do you regularly leave feedback for the authors?

Summer Reading Challenge participation form

Pen name:

Story you are submitting (including a link):
Give us a quick summary:
Who is the main character?
What genre is it?
How many chapters?
Is it complete?
Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more)
What do you like best about your story?
Would you consider it popular?
Why are you choosing this one for people to read?
Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »

Post the forms right in this thread, thanks!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:42 AM »

Pen name: DelphinaCarter

Finding Carter 
http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10986

Give us a quick summary: Nick goes to college where he meets Brian, who turns out to be something more than he ever expected.

Who is the main character? Nick and Brian

What genre is it? Alternate Universe, angst and a bit of comedy and drama.

How many chapters? 30

Is it complete? Yes.

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) the chapters are about 1,000 each some are more than 1,000.

What do you like best about your story?  I'd say it's my best story I've written and something I'm really proud of because it was my first novel in first person.

Would you consider it popular? I suppose so. It has over 100 reviews.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? I know there are some people that haven't read it

Is there anything else we should know? (overly violent etc) it's an AU so some of the boys will be out of character. Overall it's a good brother type story.

Pen name: DelphinaCarter

Figured You Out

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10232

Give us a quick summary: Nick is held captive by a fan and the boys try to figure out where he is before it's too late. Takes place during the This Is Us era.

Who is the main character? Nick but the other boys are in it as well.

What genre is it? Suspense and Horror, Drama

How many chapters? 30

Is it complete? Yes.

Are your chapters long or short? (long - 2,000 words or more) the chapters are about 1,000 each some are more than 1,000.

What do you like best about your story?  I love a good suspense and bat shit crazy characters.

Would you consider it popular? It's my most successful story on AC.

Why are you choosing this one for people to read? I know there are some people that haven't read it yet.

Anything else we should know about it? (overly violent, sexual, slash, etc)  it's pretty violent in parts and has death, and sexual content. It doesn't get too graphic though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:20:13 AM by DelphinaCarter »

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:32:04 AM »

I hope I'm not the only one who wants to participate

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »

I hope not. It's not looking good though :(

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »

Hopefully more will come around

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »

They have one more week lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »

Don't forget to fill out the form and post it in here if you plan on participating. I'm hoping to see some of you show up in here. We need at least 4-6 people for this to really be worth it. It'll break my heart if this turns out to be only a three year thing.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »

I'm gonna fill it out tomorrow :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 02:48:03 AM »

Summer Reading Challenge participation form

Pen name:Rose
Show Me A Reason - http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11285
Give us a quick summary:
It's a "This Is Your Life, Nick Carter" type story and a rework of a fic I discontinued called "Divine Intervention".
Nick
What genre is it?
Supernatural drama
How many chapters?
Is it complete?
Yes
For the most part sort of long, around 2,000 words.
I like some of flashbacks I included. It's centered around Nick but it's pretty bromacey a story.
I'd say it did sorta okay but not really.
I'd like some thoughts on it.
Nope, I'm good.

Here We Stand - http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10965
Give us a quick summary:
The Boys start trying to figure things out as a group once Kevin returns, written pre-documentary.
The Group
What genre is it?
Drama
How many chapters?
Is it complete?
Yes
About 2000ish a chapter but some might be shorter.
I love that I tackled all five POVs.
Actually yes, LOL.
Some fresh thoughts on it would be spiffy.
Nope

Walked Out Of My Dreams - http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10274
Give us a quick summary:
After Brian gets into a tragic car accident, he goes missing. But just where did he go? And why?
Brian and Nick
What genre is it?
Angst, Drama
How many chapters?
Is it complete?
Yes
Long for the most part
I like that I went for a different sort of concept.
Yes
Because looking back I feel like I could've written this one better. That and I'm REALLY annoyed at myself for slacking on my latest story cause I wanted to submit it but it's only at 8 chapters yet FML lol.
No

Remember Me This Way - http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10108
Give us a quick summary:
Nick's become reckless with his life once again but when he's suddenly faced with his own mortality, he realizes he needs to make every day count as long as he can.
Nick
What genre is it?
Drama, Angst
How many chapters?
Is it complete?
Yes
Long
I love this story. It was my baby and holds a special place in my writer's heart. I love the concept and I love how I wrote it. Everything about it. It's not perfect but I still love it.
Definitely yes.
Honestly? I probably shouldn't but each year I find someone who hasn't read it yet so why not LOL. I always enjoy hearing thoughts on it.
Nope.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:54:56 AM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »

I'd love to take part, but haven't written anything for so long, I have nothing that hasn't already been submitted for a challenge :(  Is there any other way I can take part?  Even just reading?  Otherwise I'll see what old stuff I can use.

Sorry I've not been around much, I've hardly had chance to get online as have been working longer hours and have been stressed over wedding stuff, only 6 weeks to go and still so much to do! 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »

Hey Steph! Yes you can just be a reader if you'd like. The only problem we have right now is that there are only two people participating with stories. I'm hoping more will come forward. I might extend the deadline. I think Pammy also wanted to be a reader.

6 weeks! Wow!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »

Aww steph congrats on your engagement. I remember when you got together and I'm happy to hear you're getting married. Great news

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »

Well, the deadline has passed so should I extend? Is anyone interested besides Tracy & Rose?  I know the two participants have already read all my stuff (supposedly lol) and I think Tracy might have also read the stories Rose has submitted which means she would have nothing to read for the challenge. I wasn't really planning to do it this year because honestly, I have no desire to read fanfic but I'd be willing to as long as I know that other people are wanting to do this.

I am going to extend the deadline by a week. Maybe if we can't do it how we normally have in the past, we might instead recommend stories or something. I hate to see this thing totally die, so if anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to speak up!
Pages: [1] 2