Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 122348 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2015, 01:52:05 AM »

I don't plan on giving up just yet. But I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. Last cosplay I did was in October, I dressed as Maleficent for Halloween and it was very successful. I have no idea who I want to be next.

I am excited for a few things next year. Cruise, and seeing Nick in March. Plus a friend and I are talking about possibly going to LA in September. I just need to look at how much money situation is after Europe. The cruise scares me to death because I've never been out of the country before. Luckily I won't be traveling by myself, my friend from Chicago is my travel buddy. Strength in numbers is the plan I'm going for this time. 

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2015, 07:18:14 AM »

Erika, I can't believe it's already been a year since you had your baby!  I'm glad you got to take a whole year off with her!  It must have been hard going back to work after that.  Just FYI, Nick's physical CD is not supposed to ship until mid-December if you ordered it off his site.

I'm super excited for BSB 2016 too!  I had no idea they were going back into the studio so soon until they started posting that they were recording!  I guess it's not really that soon, since it's already been 2+ years since IAWLT, but they've been doing so much that it doesn't seem like we've had to wait that long.

:blushes: Clearly, I missed the bit about the actual CD not shipping out until sometime this month. Ooooops! I spend all day telling people to read critically ... it seems as though I need to follow my own advice!! LOL

I also can't believe that my little lady is 13 months old already! My year at home was over before I knew it! It's definitely been hard to make the transition back to work, but I am enjoying the fact that I get to exist and be known as someone other then "mommy" for at least eight hours a day.  :)

While I am excited to see what this new album will bring, I am also slightly worried about Brian. His voice is what drew me to the group in the first place and the fact that he is singing less makes me a touch sad. Don't get me wrong, I truly like IAWLT and the overall sound of the album was great buuuuuut I just can't appreciate that Howie is singing more. I know that sounds horrible, but I'm a Brian girl and I miss him!! HAHA

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »

I know what you mean about Brian. :(  I do think his voice is getting better... not that I've heard him sing live that much recently, but the last few times I have, he has sounded better... still a little shaky at times, but much better than the NKOTBSB days.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

I would love to get another discussion going, so here's a new question:  How have you changed as a writer since you first got into fanfic?  Feel free to answer as a reader too if you'd like.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »

I'll answer, even though it's been awhile. Lol

I definitely changed as a writer from when I started to when I stopped. Fanfic helped my writing by leaps and bounds. I felt like my writing was elevated the last two real stories I wrote as compared to the way I wrote when I first started. I didn't change my tastes. I never roamed too far away from my comfort zones of suspense, drama and Nick centered stories, but I did at least try just about every genre once.

As a reader, I tended to get very picky. I mean, I was picky before but once I figured out what I liked, I never really strayed too far away. I used to feel guilty about not giving other genres or boy centered stories a chance, but I got over it lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »

I've definitely changed since I joined AC as a reader to being a writer now. My tastes have changed and my writing style has changed. I am more open minded now than I was let's say a year or two ago. I've tried so many genres, I feel like I could easily try anything now. I also started reading and writing slash, something that if you'd told me a few years ago I'd be doing, I would probably laugh at you. I think I've grown as a writer as well, judging by what readers have said I've had a lot of improvements.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »

I used to update every day, and now I update every four months or so.  But hey, when I do write, the writing is much better than it was back when I started.  Quality over quantity, right?

I've also branched out in terms of who and what I write about.  I used to only write romantic Brian medical dramas, but eventually I ran out of ailments, and then he got married, and I ran out of ways to get rid of Leighanne, so I started writing more about the other boys.  It got harder to write romance once they all started getting married, so I started experimenting with AU and other genres.  At this point, I think I've at least tried every genre.  I still love drama the best, but I've found that I also really enjoy writing horror and parodies involving pandaskunks.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »

Mare, I'm so sorry to hear that you may have MS and have had a rough time recently.  Hopefully you'll not be suffering those symptoms too much and it'll improve.

Tracy, that hospital bill must've been a shock! Hope you're better now.

I'm a bad fan, I've not even listened to Nick's new CD yet as all my download sites have been blocked by my internet provider :(

Something good which happened for me this year was that I got married.  Nothing bad has happened to me directly, but Tim has been told that his heart hasn't improved since he was first ill and it won't get any better.  He may need a transplant one day, but at the moment he's not bad enough.  Also my sister's health seems to have got worse and now her brain tumour is causing eye problems with her eye turning out all the time and making her dizzy.

As for writing, I've done nothing for so long.  But I treated myself to a new laptop with Christmas money, so now I have to get back into both writing and reading :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »

So I just saw this. My computer died so I haven't been on much except through my phone. Mare, I'm so sorry. I'll echo Steph on this and keep you in my thoughts with hopes it'll get better for you.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »

Thanks to the both of you. I've been resting a lot this break which has been helping. Today is the first day in almost a week that I've been in a fair amount of pain.

Steph, I'm sorry to hear that Tim's condition isn't improving. That has to be scary. I'm also very sorry about your sister. Being sick sucks!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »

It's good to see you both (Steph and Rose) posting on here!

Steph, I'm so sorry to hear things haven't been going so well for Tim and your sister.  I was just thinking about you and Tim the other day, wondering how you were doing.  I will be praying that things improve for all of you.  I'm glad you got a new laptop so maybe you can get back into writing!

Rose, I hope you get one soon too!  I miss the days when all of us were reading and writing.  It's been way too quiet around here!

Mare, I'm glad you've been able to rest and feel better over break, although sorry to hear you were hurting today.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »

Seriously, prayers all around. Here's hoping everyone has a way better 2016.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »

I have to say, I was very pleased when I went to go feature someone this morning, I had decided it would be whoever last posted something new but that happened to be Julie. Then Hannah, Erika etc... I had to go a few stories down before I found an author I hadn't featured in over a year. Way to go guys!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »

Well I guess that's good!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »

Rose, being without a computer is a pain in the arse isn't it!  I couldn't really get on this site on my phone as the screen isn't very big.  I'm so happy to have a new laptop even though I've not used it as much as I've liked to yet.

Thanks for the kind words about Tim and my sister.  Tim is just carrying on as normal, he gets tired easily but he tries not to let it get to him too much.  His daughter and sisters are being tested to make sure they haven't got it as his consultant wants to be 100% sure it's not hereditary.  We don't think it is as he was completely fit and healthy before the virus struck him down.  So we'll see.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37