Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 122321 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »

It's funny you mentioned that because I just did send an email out on Friday. I have my all school concert coming up there on the 16th & we do a dress rehearsal run through in the morning and afternoon and typically, it's the most stressful day of the entire year for me. Stress makes my symptoms flare up. The staff usually make things ten times worse that day because they suddenly have all these suggestions or want to tell me how to do my job or roll their eyes & talk under their breath about having to be there that night etc... I decided to just let everyone know the situation because I'm afraid if I expend all my energy during the day I won't gave any left at night. A handful of them already know but I thought I'd tell them all. I work with a lot of assholes at this one school lol there's also a lot of great people too. I'm just overall concerned about my energy level that week. I have three concerts, and two dress rehearsals. Each one of those days will be easily over 12 hour days. I've done it a billion tines but not this sick.

The last few weeks have been exceptionally bad. I couldn't even sleep in my bed the last few days because of pain and numbness in my left leg and side in general. It's been bad enough for me to have to use a walker this weekend, which has really been deflating. Today, I've been able to get around with just my cane. I refuse to use a walker at school and can't really because of the logistics. It's all one big learning process for me. My goal right at the moment is to get from one break to another. Christmas can't get here fast enough. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »

Yikes... I hope everything goes well with the concerts and that the staff cuts you some slack.  I know this is a crazy time of year for music teachers.  When does your break start?  We're done the 18th.  Ten days and counting!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »

We're not done until the 23rd. :-/
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Wow!  Nothing like waiting til the last minute.  That sucks!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »

Seriously! lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »

So what does everyone think of Nick's new album so far?

I was a little underwhelmed when I first heard it, but I have to say, it has really grown on me.  The songs are fun, and it's so NICK!  Even without having liner notes, it's obvious to me that he wrote most, if not all, of the songs, and they are GOOD!  Even the silly ones are clever lyrically and catchy as hell musically.  My instant favorites were Man on the Moon and Horoscope, but I'm also really loving Get Over Me, Second Wind, and All American now too, and I like all of the others.  I don't have a single skip song, which is a first for me.  I even started writing a one-shot inspired by a couple of them this weekend, and you know how infrequently I write songfics.

Just curious to hear everyone else's thoughts!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »

I love it as well. I've only listened to it twice but it's just a happy cd. It just reminds me of how he is doing these days. I love Man on the Moon. Besides, I Will Wait, I think it's my favorite song in there. I even like the booty song lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »

I agree!!  I think Second Wind says it all.  This whole album is definitely a tribute to how far he's come.  And yes, I walk around with "We like our... boo-TAY... made in the USA!" stuck in my head on a regular basis, even at work LOL.  And Man on the Moon is such a sweet little 50s-sounding song; I adore it so much!!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2015, 03:44:55 AM »

Good thing for me this year was my return to writing. Returning to something I thought I had given up on brought me a lot of joy. I also booked the European Cruise. On top of this I got to finally tell Nick thank you for saving my life and he responded. And for it being the week before the anniversary of it happening it meant the world.

Sorry that turned into three things lol.

Bad  stuff: well, in the past few months I was sick, had a visit to the hospital, had some family things going on, got hit with a 1,700 hospital bill for one night in the emergency room, had a lot of drama at work. So I guess it was pretty even this year. Unfortunately more bad things happened than good. I was bullied at comic con as well. I don't know if I'm going to cosplay again but I feel it's more a issue of I don't know what character to do next than me quitting it totally.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »

Okay, this post is going to be rather long as I've just caught up on the thread.  :)

First, Mare, I'm so sorry to hear that you may have MS. My friend's husband was also recently diagnosed  with a form of MS (Relapsing-Remitting). So far, he has been doing well and has not yet experienced any of the physical struggles that you have described. It really is a horrible disease and I truly hope that you are able to find ways to cope, and that your situation is able to improve. Just keep pushing forward!

Next, Tracy, OMG $1700 for an emergency room visit?? That's insane!! As a Canadian with free healthcare, I am always amazed at how fortunate I am whenever I hear of how much it costs to receive treatment in the US. That being said, I hope that you are feeling better and that some of the drama has settled down in your life. One more thing in regards to you being bullied at Comic-Con ... really?? I would have thought that the community at that event would have been very supportive. It's not really my thing, so I have no evidence to support my assumption, but I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. People's behaviour amazes me ... and not always in a good way.

Finally, I am STILL waiting for my Nick CD to arrive. SERIOUSLY?!?! It's been over a week since I pre-ordered the damn thing. It's shipping to Canada not the f-ing moon! LOL I have listened to it online though and I have to say that I'm also enjoying it. I Will Wait is definitely my favourite and I'm with you, Julie, in the sense that I also love Man On The Moon!! I have to admit that I did not like Nick's first two solo albums (don't hate me!). HAHA So, I've been pleasantly surprised with this one. However, AJ's solo album is still my favourite by far and I'm eagerly awaiting his new album (and BSB 2016 of course)!

Okay, to wrap things up, the highlight of my year was the birth of my baby girl and the fact that I got to spend the whole year at home with her!! Although, I initially found the adjustment to motherhood to be challenging (putting it mildly), I wouldn't have traded my year at home with her for anything. I'm back to work now and, while it's nice to be back, it's also been hard to adjust to sending her to daycare.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2015, 02:04:53 AM »

I've been going to comic con for three years now. Been to other conventions as well. Never had anyone picking on me before, just on Instagram I did. Plus size Cosplayers don't get the same treatment as regular ones, because we are plus size. However, my costume wasn't the reason I was bullied.
A vendor that worked at the convention was shouting at me and called me ugly, then proceeded to make fun of me for being by myself. He called me a loser and I flipped him off. What upset me was that I was not only humiliated, I got the run around when I tried to report the incident. Nothing was done about the situation.  I will still continue to cosplay but the experience hurt my self esteem.   
I was in the hospital for a UTI. I'd never had one before in my life. I was already getting over the flu and a upper respiratory infection so I was very sick for a couple weeks. Luckily I have insurance from work, but I don't know how much got covered.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »

I find it incredibly sad that in a world where people are so concerned about being politically correct and about promoting inclusion and diversity that someone can still be shamed for the size of their body. Have we not moved past that yet? Sadly, there will always be people in the world who are narrow minded and who feel that it is acceptable to make nasty comments about other people.

Like most people, I have been bullied (in the past) because of my appearance. Although it was not over the size of my body, but over my teeth when I was a kid. They were too large for my mouth and very crooked. Thankfully, braces fixed the issue and I never experienced any kind of bullying as a teenager or as an adult. I can only imagine what that would feel like. We spend so much time and energy teaching kids to be kind to one another, but nobody really speaks to adults about the same thing. I guess it is just assumed that adults "know better." *Sigh*

Anyways, I'm sorry for your negative experience and I'm happy to hear you say that it won't deter you from doing what you love and being who you are. People are a$$holes and that vendor is clearly a massive one!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »

Seriously, that's terrible but all you have to do is look at what's going on in politics and see a big bully who is a horrible human being leading the polls and it really explains a lot about what a majority of society thinks is okay.

We live in sad, sad times.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »

And it seems like so many people have been diagnosed with MS this year. So many people I know have been telling me about so and so who is going through the same stuff I am. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

And congrats on becoming a mommy! :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »

So true.  Sorry for that experience, Tracy, but don't let it take the fun out of cosplaying for you.  Do what you enjoy, and to hell with the haters!

Erika, I can't believe it's already been a year since you had your baby!  I'm glad you got to take a whole year off with her!  It must have been hard going back to work after that.  Just FYI, Nick's physical CD is not supposed to ship until mid-December if you ordered it off his site.

I'm super excited for BSB 2016 too!  I had no idea they were going back into the studio so soon until they started posting that they were recording!  I guess it's not really that soon, since it's already been 2+ years since IAWLT, but they've been doing so much that it doesn't seem like we've had to wait that long.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37