Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 122244 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »

Sadly, I haven't read anything.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »

I'm not sure how many people are still around to answer writing questions, but here's one for you romance people:  When describing male anatomy, do you think it's better to be direct or vague with the terminology?  Do you prefer to read the proper terms (i.e. penis, testicles), slang terms (dick, balls, package, etc.), or more subtle euphanisms (member, manhood, and so on)?  I don't write (or read) this kind of stuff often, and I can never decide what sounds best - either way, it always seems too technical, too crude, or too cheesy.  Any opinions on the matter?

Edit: Here's what I mean about being cheesy in the effort to avoid being crude: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/16/romance-novel-phrases_n_7545244.html  Hilarious!

Edit #2:  OMG, I can't believe in all my googling, I've never looked this up before.  This blog on the subject is also fantastic; I'm laughing so hard at some of these! https://annomalley.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/writing-erotica1/

Edit #3:  So, having conducted some research on the subject, the general consensus among the erotica writer crowd is that the word of choice is "cock," with "dick" as a close second - in case anyone else was wondering, LOL.  Feel free to discuss!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:25:14 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2016, 07:39:59 AM »

Let me begin by saying that reading that Huffington Post article completely MADE my morning!! LOL

Anyways, I always struggle with this kind of terminology as well.  I will agree with the general consensus that "cock" and "dick" are probably the best options. I do  NOT want to be reading a hot scene and then stumble across the word "testicles"! Bahahahaha! The appropriate terminology would ruin the mood IMO.

As a writer, I actually try to avoid referencing male anatomy directly and just allude to it without being overly cheesey RE: "hardness", "felt him pressing against her", "sank down onto him", etc. Perhaps I'm in the minority here ...  ???

FYI, maybe next time I write one of these scenes, I will use the phrase "lightning bolts of fulfillment" ... AMAZING!!  :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »

LMAO!!  No, I agree with you, and the examples you gave are perfect.  That's what I prefer too.  I was obviously writing a scene last night where I felt like I needed to use a specific word, but I ended up finding a way to be vague without using one of those horrible metaphors.  I was laughing so much at those websites last night!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »

Jeez even reading these posts made me cringe lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:59 AM »

LOL Sorry!

Okay, now how about lady parts?  (Just kidding!)
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2016, 06:15:23 AM »

OMG I laughed and also cringed at those phrases to describe sex and males and female parts!

I have written romance stuff and cringed at the sex parts lol.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »

I've actually started a new story at last!  I just hope I can keep it up and manage to post it :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

That's great to hear, Steph!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »

Yay Steph!!  That is awesome news!  I know there are still a few stories being updated, and there are at least a couple of Erika's on my "to read" list, but I miss the rest of you writing!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »

OMG I laughed and also cringed at those phrases to describe sex and males and female parts!

I have written romance stuff and cringed at the sex parts lol.

I don't know how people write erotica all the time.  I have only written a few sex scenes, and I find them so awkward; I usually just end up giggling like a teenager the whole time.  Plus, even after only a few, it becomes hard to get creative with them; I feel like I'm just writing the same thing all the time and trying to describe it in a slightly different way.  I can see how that leads to some of those horrible euphemisms, in an effort to be creative LOL.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »

I'm gonna reply to my own question from the bottom of the last page because I just read one of the stories on my "to read" list in one sitting, Erika's "Soldier Down," and really enjoyed it!  I know some of you read it when she was writing it, but in case you missed it, it's worth the read!  

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11348

It's a great group suspense story that's full of bromance and conflict among the guys, as well as outside drama.  It's been awhile since I've read a fanfic from beginning to end that held my attention that much... I think the last one may have been "Dodging the Daylight," also by Erika and also fantastic!
~Julie

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »

Thanks for hyping up my work, Julie!! I really appreciate your kind words, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed "Soldier Down".  ;D Like I said in one of my replies to your (many) reviews that I woke up to this morning, it was great to get some new feedback as it gives me the motivation to keep writing. I know that I'm a bit late to the game in terms of this site, but I miss the activity that was around when I first started posting. Maybe once the guys actually release their new album and start doing more group appearances this place will get busy again??

I'm gonna reply to my own question from the bottom of the last page because I just read one of the stories on my "to read" list in one sitting, Erika's "Soldier Down," and really enjoyed it!  I know some of you read it when she was writing it, but in case you missed it, it's worth the read!  

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11348

It's a great group suspense story that's full of bromance and conflict among the guys, as well as outside drama.  It's been awhile since I've read a fanfic from beginning to end that held my attention that much... I think the last one may have been "Dodging the Daylight," also by Erika and also fantastic!

usako

« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »

^ Agreed!  I haven't read any fanfic in awhile; I need to take some time to browse AC and see what people are writing these days.  I've been out of the loop.  Is anyone reading (or writing) anything they'd like to recommend?

*comes out from her cave*
I've barely the time to read fanfics, life has been quite crazy here for while between my grandma going to the hospital and then her moving in with us (which meant me giving her my bedroom and cleaning my brother's old bedroom); plus, after some years of being jobess and a mild depression because of that, I've decided to go back to college so now I'm preparing for the preliminary exam. Anyway, I still write (yes, still slash if any one wants to read them XD) and read (and recommend) Erika and Tracy's stories. Those are the two that actually are actually keeping still hanging here, even if only lurking. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2016, 02:38:29 PM »

Thanks for hyping up my work, Julie!! I really appreciate your kind words, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed "Soldier Down".  ;D Like I said in one of my replies to your (many) reviews that I woke up to this morning, it was great to get some new feedback as it gives me the motivation to keep writing. I know that I'm a bit late to the game in terms of this site, but I miss the activity that was around when I first started posting. Maybe once the guys actually release their new album and start doing more group appearances this place will get busy again??

You're so welcome!  I can't believe how quickly you replied to all those reviews!  I knew you were going to flip when you saw your inbox.

Things have definitely slowed down here over the last few years, and I miss the good old days when there were lots of different stories being updated and lots of conversation on the forum.  It does seem to pick up a little every summer, probably because people have vacation time.  I know Mare and I, the teachers, tend to be around a lot more and then get busy when school starts up again.  It's easier to make fanfic a priority when other people are around to keep you motivated though.  Feedback is always helpful, of course, but even just talking about fanfic on here makes me want to read and write.  I'm glad we were able to resurrect this thread!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37