Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121219 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2016, 11:23:18 PM »

I just wrote a tweet referring to the whole Nick/Paris Hilton debacle as "the darkest era in BSB history," and it made me wonder, what do you consider to be the darkest or worst era in BSB history?  And on the flip side, what has been your favorite era?  What era(s) do you like to read and write stories in the most?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2016, 03:06:05 AM »

Being a Brian's fan, I think that the last years have been the "darkest era" (and let's hope it has a happy ending like Nick's. *fingers crossed*). Sadly this era and the whole heart surgery's period are the kind of stories that I would love to read.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2016, 03:29:34 AM »

Being a Brian's fan, I think that the last years have been the "darkest era" (and let's hope it has a happy ending like Nick's. *fingers crossed*). Sadly this era and the whole heart surgery's period are the kind of stories that I would love to read.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2016, 03:43:54 AM »

For me, I do think 2003-2004 (the Ghetto Nick/Nick & Paris era) was one of the darkest eras in their history.  I'm focusing on Nick here because I really wasn't a Nick fan until Now or Never came out in 2002, and then it was hard to watch him sort of spiral downward over the next few years.  From a group standpoint, though, that was also during their big hiatus between Black & Blue and Never Gone, when we didn't know if they were ever going to come back or not.  There wasn't much going on with the group until AJ did that Oprah interview where the guys all surprised him.  It was a good era for fanfic, but not a good time for actually being a fan of the group.

2006 was also a rough year...  That was when Kevin left, and looking back, we now know things were pretty rough for Nick then too.  But we did have Brian's solo album and tour that year, so that was the bright spot of 2006!

I have two favorite eras.  One is the Millennium era in 1999 because that is when I went from being a fan to an obsessive teenybopper FAN and discovered fanfic and all that good stuff.  I loved how popular they were then; they did tons of TV appearances and won awards and had videos on TRL, and it was so much fun to be a fan!

My other favorite era is the IAWLT era in 2013 because Kevin was back, and for the first time since he left, it felt like everything was as it should be in BSB land again.  I loved how excited we all were about the new album, and I think that tour is my favorite one.

As far as fanfic goes, I like reading stories set in the good old days of the late '90s, before they all had their own families.  I think it's easier to show their brotherly relationship in those old-school stories.  I also enjoy present-day stories that put them in situations where they're together without the wives and kids being around.  Erika and Mare are both good at doing that.  I don't know that I necessarily have a favorite era to write in, as I usually write in the present or recent past.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:46:02 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »

Julie, I have to agree with you on 2003-2004 being the darkest era of BSB history. Actually, for me, that was the "no BSB" era as it was the time that I graduated high school and went away to university. Even though my best friend (also a huge BSB fan) and I went away to the same school, we were so wrapped up with being away from home and partying that we didn't even think (re: obsess) over BSB during that time frame. I can remember us both being somewhat "surprised" when Never Gone was released and then scrambling to find out information about the tour, etc. Of course, my friend and I recovered from our "lack of BSB era" and are still fairly "obsessed" (as obsessed as you can be when you're married with a family).  :P

Also, Julie, I can't believe that you "missed out" on the whole Brian's heart surgery time period!! That situation unfolded during the time when almost every girl I knew LOVED the BSB. I can distinctly remember all of the girls in my class wearing blue ribbons on the day that he went in for surgery to show support. I also remember rushing back to my friend's house after school to scour the Internet (with her dial-up connection) to look for news about how he was doing. HAHA

Hmmmm my favourite era is a toss-up between IAWLT in 2013 (Kevin came back and the group was complete again IMO) and the Unbreakable tour period. I saw the Unbreakable tour four times and it was just a great time of life for me; finished my degrees, starting to work, not too much responsibility, and the freedom to follow the boys around with my girlfriends. Although I missed Kevin during that point, that era definitely brings back good memories for me as far as being a fan goes.

FYI, the situation with Brian's voice makes me sad. I agree that he is learning to "cope" with his new sound, but it breaks my heart when he can't hit the notes like he used to. I really think that the other guys need to start backing him up at all times. As much as it pains me to say it, he really shouldn't be given solos at this point and time. He needs that other voice to fill out his sound; to carry on when his voice gives out. I understand that they don't want to change around the vocals to all of their older stuff, but someone could harmonize with him. I think it would sound just fine, and maybe even better than it does when he sings alone at this point. *Ducks for cover* Don't hate me!!

usako

« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »

My favorite era is definitely the Ubreakable one. Sorry Kevin! lol But that's because it was the era I truly become a BSB fan, went to my first concert and got my first "hello during a song" from Brian. Plus I think that Unbreakable is one of their best album, especially with lyrics *Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon sigh*. While I did love IAWLT because the group was complete again, Brian's problems and consequently the lack of his voice in the songs plus the fact that most of the songs were a step back from the other albums (Cavemen song? XD), I'm really hoping for the next one.

And I'm still one of the few fans who still want more Brian, no matter what. I think fans just need to accept that this is how Brian will be and just be half that he still wants to keep going and keep trying. Giving his age and all, he could have just said "guys, my voice isn't going to get better so bye" and that would have been the end (cause I really can't see them going on without him. ). And I do love his falsetto, his version of Darling during the cruise is still making me cry since May.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »

My favorite era would've definitely been Millenium if I had actually been a fan back then. I think for me it was the Never Gone era. That seemed to be when I was the most pro-active BSB fan. I went to my first BSB concerts. I loved the up close and personal concert as well as their Never Gone tour. I went to two events. Brian's golfing one and Howie's bowling one. I remember always being so excited about every little thing they said or did. Fun times!

My least favorite would be when Kevin left and they became craptastic. I just felt like they lost their them-ness without him. At least the 'them' that I fell in love with. I didn't feel the same sense of comroderie between them that existed prior to Kevin's exit and sadly, besides the music, that's what I was really drawn to.

I do think that Paris era was pretty dark too, but that's also around the time when I was really just starting to get into them so it didn't bother me as much as it probably would have if I had more invested in them at that point.

Brian's vocal situation is sad. I agree, he needs to take a step back and take more of a Howie role in the group now. I'm sure his pride will forever prevent that from happening. It does effect the sound of the group, but at this point I think all of the fans they have collected over the years don't mind because we know what he used to be capable of. However the new ones think uh....what the heck?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »

As far as reading or writing. I think it's obvious, I enjoyed writing stories about the early days which is kind of funny because that's the time I really had no clue who they were, except to make fun of them because of INBYH lol the whole brotherly bond before families came into play. Truthfully, if I ever was able to get myself back into reading fanfic, the only kind I'd probably be interested in are the old school Nick or group centered stories.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »

Julie, I have to agree with you on 2003-2004 being the darkest era of BSB history. Actually, for me, that was the "no BSB" era as it was the time that I graduated high school and went away to university. Even though my best friend (also a huge BSB fan) and I went away to the same school, we were so wrapped up with being away from home and partying that we didn't even think (re: obsess) over BSB during that time frame. I can remember us both being somewhat "surprised" when Never Gone was released and then scrambling to find out information about the tour, etc. Of course, my friend and I recovered from our "lack of BSB era" and are still fairly "obsessed" (as obsessed as you can be when you're married with a family).  :P

Also, Julie, I can't believe that you "missed out" on the whole Brian's heart surgery time period!! That situation unfolded during the time when almost every girl I knew LOVED the BSB. I can distinctly remember all of the girls in my class wearing blue ribbons on the day that he went in for surgery to show support. I also remember rushing back to my friend's house after school to scour the Internet (with her dial-up connection) to look for news about how he was doing. HAHA

Hmmmm my favourite era is a toss-up between IAWLT in 2013 (Kevin came back and the group was complete again IMO) and the Unbreakable tour period. I saw the Unbreakable tour four times and it was just a great time of life for me; finished my degrees, starting to work, not too much responsibility, and the freedom to follow the boys around with my girlfriends. Although I missed Kevin during that point, that era definitely brings back good memories for me as far as being a fan goes.

FYI, the situation with Brian's voice makes me sad. I agree that he is learning to "cope" with his new sound, but it breaks my heart when he can't hit the notes like he used to. I really think that the other guys need to start backing him up at all times. As much as it pains me to say it, he really shouldn't be given solos at this point and time. He needs that other voice to fill out his sound; to carry on when his voice gives out. I understand that they don't want to change around the vocals to all of their older stuff, but someone could harmonize with him. I think it would sound just fine, and maybe even better than it does when he sings alone at this point. *Ducks for cover* Don't hate me!!

I also started college in 2003 and know what you mean about the "no BSB" era.  I definitely kept my fandom on the DL at that point because no one really seemed to like them anymore, so I just wrote fanfics in secret when my roommate wasn't around LOL.  Then in 2005 when they started promoting Never Gone, it was amazing how many girls on my dorm floor started crawling out of the woodwork to admit they liked BSB.  Some of us even went to a couple of their concerts together that year.

Yeah, we Americans were a little behind the rest of the world in jumping on the BSB bandwagon.  Their first album wasn't released here until fall '97, so by spring of '98, I knew some of their singles that had been on the radio here, like QPG and ALAYLM, but they hadn't been popular for very long.  You bet I would have been wearing a blue ribbon that day if I'd known, but like I said, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to go through the mental anguish of it LOL.

As a fellow Brian girl, I have to say I agree with you on the solo stuff.  I'm glad they haven't taken his solos in the old songs away when they sing live and don't think they should, but it's probably a good idea to limit his solos on new songs.  They definitely seemed to do that with IAWLT, and I think it's a great opportunity to spread the wealth and let Kevin and Howie sing more.  It should be more balanced than it used to be, as far as who gets solos.  Brian's voice seems to better in the high register, and he does a good job on ad-libs over the chorus at the end of songs, so I hope they keep that going.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »

My favorite era is definitely the Ubreakable one. Sorry Kevin! lol But that's because it was the era I truly become a BSB fan, went to my first concert and got my first "hello during a song" from Brian. Plus I think that Unbreakable is one of their best album, especially with lyrics *Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon sigh*. While I did love IAWLT because the group was complete again, Brian's problems and consequently the lack of his voice in the songs plus the fact that most of the songs were a step back from the other albums (Cavemen song? XD), I'm really hoping for the next one.

And I'm still one of the few fans who still want more Brian, no matter what. I think fans just need to accept that this is how Brian will be and just be half that he still wants to keep going and keep trying. Giving his age and all, he could have just said "guys, my voice isn't going to get better so bye" and that would have been the end (cause I really can't see them going on without him. ). And I do love his falsetto, his version of Darling during the cruise is still making me cry since May.

Aww, you don't like the cavemen song?!  LOL I love Love Somebody and love that lyric!  I think that whole song is so cute; it just makes me smile.

I'm also really glad Brian hasn't just thrown in the towel.  I don't think he wants to, but he definitely could have.  I think it helps that the guys and the fans, for the most part, have been supportive.

I just looked up Darlin' on the cruise, and WOW!  He sounded great!  I definitely think he does better with the higher/falsetto stuff; hopefully they consider that when choosing solos for new songs.  Here's the video I watched in case anyone else wants to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlXkRrzXSY

I also love when he sang Mary Did You Know on the 2011 cruise:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QgLXc7t8UI.  That was right around when we were first starting to realize something was up with his voice, and you can hear it a little bit in this, but he still sounds amazing.  This is the first time I can remember being moved to tears during a concert, and I'm not even particularly religious, but Brian's emotion and his passion and his beautiful voice brought tears to my eyes.  (And wow, what a difference 5 years makes in terms of video quality! LOL)
~Julie

usako

« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2016, 02:20:23 AM »

Aww, you don't like the cavemen song?!  LOL I love Love Somebody and love that lyric!  I think that whole song is so cute; it just makes me smile.

I'm also really glad Brian hasn't just thrown in the towel.  I don't think he wants to, but he definitely could have.  I think it helps that the guys and the fans, for the most part, have been supportive.

I just looked up Darlin' on the cruise, and WOW!  He sounded great!  I definitely think he does better with the higher/falsetto stuff; hopefully they consider that when choosing solos for new songs.  Here's the video I watched in case anyone else wants to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlXkRrzXSY

I also love when he sang Mary Did You Know on the 2011 cruise:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QgLXc7t8UI.  That was right around when we were first starting to realize something was up with his voice, and you can hear it a little bit in this, but he still sounds amazing.  This is the first time I can remember being moved to tears during a concert, and I'm not even particularly religious, but Brian's emotion and his passion and his beautiful voice brought tears to my eyes.  (And wow, what a difference 5 years makes in terms of video quality! LOL)

I HATE that song! lol Really, wasn't there another song to choose from? lol Let's just say that I'm not very fond of Nick's writing and I'm really hoping we'll get more writing from the other Boys on the next album. ;)

You should watch all the video from the cruise. "Darling" was that beautiful and I'm actually rpoud of Brian for choosing an old song instead than something newer: it shows that he's building up his confidence and that's the only weapon you can use against anxiety, which is at the end of day what causes most of his problems. But, for example, in "Safest Place To Hide" he actually sounded just like on the album so that's very promising for the future.
But, in the end, Brian and the other four are the ones who know most about all this situation so I trust them about how they should or shouldn't handle it. =)

Up to this day I still can't watch "Mary Did You Know?" and not ending up in tears. I agree with you about being the first time his problems were surfacing and visible for everyone but, at the same time, it's one of the few videos where you can see how much it was affecting him. I think it's one of the few moments, documentary aside, where we got a vulnerable and fragile Brian, that side of him that we have never seen before. (that's why I love writing him so much!)

Question: where do you get inspiration for ideas/plots/stories?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2016, 01:04:39 AM »

I HATE that song! lol Really, wasn't there another song to choose from? lol Let's just say that I'm not very fond of Nick's writing and I'm really hoping we'll get more writing from the other Boys on the next album. ;)

I actually love Nick's writing.  I think there is something beautiful about the cavemen line...  "You're the reason why cavemen drew on the wall."  I feel like that says something about how timeless love is; it's one of the things that makes us human.  Cavemen are definitely not the kind of imagery that are typical in a love song, but that's why I like Nick's songs - they can be really quirky, and that makes them endearing to me.  The first time I listened to his All American album, I thought the songs were kind of shallow, but as I got to know the lyrics, I realized there are some songs on that album that have a lot of substance and depth.  And then there are songs about asses and drunken hijinks in Tijuana LOL.  (I didn't say they ALL had depth.)  I have really come to respect Nick's creativity and intelligence as both a writer and a musician much more than I used to.  He is really talented!!

And on a related note, I also really love Howie's songwriting.  His lyrics tend to be a little cheesy, but they're also adorable, and his songs are usually catchy.  Two of my all-time favorite BSB songs, How Did I Fall in Love With You and One Phone Call, are both Howie songs.  I would say he and Nick are probably my favorite songwriters of the five guys.

Do the rest of you have preferences on songwriters or favorite songs written by the guys?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2016, 01:09:04 AM »

You should watch all the video from the cruise. "Darling" was that beautiful and I'm actually rpoud of Brian for choosing an old song instead than something newer: it shows that he's building up his confidence and that's the only weapon you can use against anxiety, which is at the end of day what causes most of his problems. But, for example, in "Safest Place To Hide" he actually sounded just like on the album so that's very promising for the future.
But, in the end, Brian and the other four are the ones who know most about all this situation so I trust them about how they should or shouldn't handle it. =)

Up to this day I still can't watch "Mary Did You Know?" and not ending up in tears. I agree with you about being the first time his problems were surfacing and visible for everyone but, at the same time, it's one of the few videos where you can see how much it was affecting him. I think it's one of the few moments, documentary aside, where we got a vulnerable and fragile Brian, that side of him that we have never seen before. (that's why I love writing him so much!)

I definitely need to catch up on cruise concert videos!  I was so busy in May, I didn't have time to follow much of the cruise stuff.  I didn't even know they sang Safest Place to Hide, for instance!

Personally, I tend to think Brian's emotion in the Mary Did You Know performance was more about the message of the song than what was going on with his voice, but it was still a really poignant moment anyway.  Love him!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2016, 01:28:49 AM »

Question: where do you get inspiration for ideas/plots/stories?

I get inspiration from all over the place... usually other stories/books or TV shows/movies, but also real life events and news, songs, jokes (more often than you'd think!), and so on.   Sometimes I start with a title I like or an idea for a scene and build on it from there.  Other times I start with a certain guy or type of story I want to write and see if I can develop an idea that works for that.  "What if?" questions are great places to start, too.  The story I'm currently working on, Sick as My Secrets, was definitely a "what if?" mixed with a joke idea.  I've found that the ideas that make me laugh and say to myself, "OMG, I can't write that... but what if I did?" turn out to be the best ones!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2016, 04:46:46 AM »

I used to draw inspiration from dreams. Pretty much all of my most popular stories came from random dreams I had. It Stays was an idea I had for a really long time but I felt like it was way too dark to write, so I sat on it for a year or so. That one came from watching that one old school video of them singing a Capella around a piano. I don't even remember which song it was, but the look on Nick's face as he sang and the way he and Brian exchanged glances, brought about this whole twisted story in my head for some reason. lol

As far as them as songwriters... I think the only one I'm not really on board with his AJ. I think the other four have written at least a few songs I have really enjoyed, especially How Did I Fall in Love With You. I do think they all write better when they're just writing for themselves instead of the group though.

I hate how the music industry and now it's trickled down to the public, have put a stigma on pop people that if they don't write their own music, they are selling out or are not real musicians. Some people are just not meant to be song writers just like some songwriters should not sing their own stuff. Writing a great song is hard and not many people have a natural talent to be able to pull it off without being overly cliche or borrowing from other songs or collaborators. It's one of the things that irks me lol

I feel like country is the only genre that still keeps them separate but equal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:50:08 AM by mare »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37