Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121209 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »

Well, maybe Brian heard us or something because when I was on FB earlier, there was a trending article from TMZ with Brian saying to back off Trump with the title saying he totally supports Trump. Supposedly the boys also were asked to perform but turned it down. Brian...just.. .no!

And Erica, you are correct about most online people meeting in real life. Unfortunately, that also entails money to meet in said location. Whether it be a cruise or a concert or event of some kind. Unless one of those things happen an hour or less away from me, I can't ever really participate. I think I'm one of the only one's from the US who hasn't actually met any of the people who regularly post on here Face to face.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »

OMG, I totally thought of you guys and this thread when I saw the video.  You can watch it on this page if you haven't and want to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tell-us-why-brian-littrell-wants-bsb-to-perform-at-trumps-inauguration_us_58811cefe4b0e3a73567d044

My initial reaction was a huge facepalm, but when I actually watched the video, his main point is that, like it or not, Trump is going to be our president, and we should respect him as Commander in Chief.  He did say he would have loved to have performed at the inauguration, so that is obviously showing support for Trump, but it wasn't like he was professing his love for him or anything.  I felt like it was more just telling all the naysayers to chill out and give him a chance. 

While I don't agree with his opinions, I think Brian's heart is in the right place with wanting to be positive.  Unfortunately, Donald Trump has given me no reason to respect him, and I don't believe anyone deserves respect just because of the position they hold.  Respect has to be earned.  I'm willing to give him a chance, and I hope he is a good president, for the sake of my country and its future.  Do I think he's going to be?  Hell no.  But in this case, I would love to be proven wrong.

That said, I think Brian and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one. ;)  I wish he had just kept his mouth closed, instead of bringing all this bad press to BSB.  I can only imagine what the other four thought when they found out about this LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »

You should have heard the stuff that was said up here when he won ... it wasn't pretty.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but Canada really is a lovely place to live!! If Trump turns out to be a complete nightmare and you can't handle the next four years, you can always move north. However, the market for teachers in Ontario is pretty abysmal, so a move may warrant a career change if you choose Toronto or the surrounding area. :P

Oh, I can only imagine!  It's probably a lot of the same stuff that people have been saying here, except we're saying it about our own country.  I have a much better understanding of what it must have been like in the period living up to the U.S. Civil War because that's what it feels like here.  The United States is a country divided... and it's not just red states and blue states.  I have co-workers and acquaintances (I won't use the word "friends") who are Trump supporters, and I can't for the life of me understand how that can be.  These are decent, intelligent people... how can they support someone so awful??  I think a lot of it is religious conservatism, but the fact that so-called Christians voted for someone who doesn't demonstrate any Christian values baffles me too.  I just don't get it.  I can respect differences in opinion, but it's hard to respect someone who is apparently okay with ignorance, intolerance, and hatred.  I have definitely lost respect for people I know over this.

If immigrating to a different country didn't sound like such a huge hassle and I wasn't so settled here, I would move to Canada in a heartbeat.  It does sound like a lovely, sane country to live in.   I'm hoping I can just hunker down and wait out the next four years... and I pray it's only four.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:10:24 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »

Ha! So I logged on to FB and saw that flippin TMZ video almost immediately after I posted my comment in here this morning! I was literally staring at my phone with my mouth hanging open. Similar to what Mare said, I was like: "Has he been reading the message boards? Does he know we're questioning where his support lies?" Oh man! Seriously though, he should have probably just kept quiet. His comments are definitely not generating the kind of buzz that the boys need at the moment. However, Julie, I do have to agree that his overall point was that people should stop hating on each other (and Trump) and give the man a chance to prove that he can actually do something. My thoughts about his now obvious support for Trump are mixed at this point. It's not like I love the boys for their political thoughts and what they do and/or think in private has no impact on their music. BSB has always been an escape from real life for me, and I think that I would like to keep it that way.

I cannot even begin to imagine the division and tension that this election has created among friends and families. I have never in my lifetime seen America so divided. I cannot even begin to think about losing a friend due to a political difference of opinion. The whole thing seems a bit sad. I hope it gets better and I hope the fandom lays off Brian because I can't handle the drama! Haha

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »

Mare, I can sympathize with your lack of "BSB buddies". It's a bit strange; my BFF and I are both MASSIVE BSB fans, but we are the ONLY ones out of our larger circle who have ever liked them. Everyone used to rag on us for liking them in high school, but they've come to accept our obsession now. HAHA Actually, I think our mutual love for the guys is what solidified our friendship in elementary school. I'm not sure why we've never tried to branch out and meet other fans from online as the online fandom is pretty large. I guess we're just content to do all of our BSB stuff as a two-some. However, this is now posing a slight problem as neither one of us has anyone to go with if the other can't!! Vegas is a good example as it would have been slightly easier for me to swing the trip now that my daughter is two. My friend's son is only six months and she's still exclusively nursing, and it's impossible for her to leave him with anyone else.

To be honest, I was under the impression that a lot of you ladies that post on here had met each other in real life in order to attend cruises and concerts and stuff. From what I've seen, it appears to be pretty common for BSB fans to meet online and then eventually meet in real life. Is that not true? Maybe I'm just crazy!

I went for like 7-8 years without having any BSB buddies because all my friends who liked BSB back in junior high when everyone liked BSB moved on to other bands, which left me with no one to go to shows with except my parents or whoever I could drag along.  I have real life friends now who would probably go if they didn't have to travel far, just for the fun and nostalgia of it, but they would never do Vegas or VIP or a cruise or anything crazy like that.

All my BSB buddies nowadays started as online friends.  I've met quite a few online friends in real life, mostly on the cruises or because they only live a couple hours away from me.  It's never been a bad experience, and it's always better going to shows and stuff with real fans.  If you ever want to do something like Vegas or the cruise and have no one to go with, just say the word - you'd always be welcome to join us!  One of my two main concert buddies started as an online acquaintance who I only knew a little because she'd left me feedback on my stories.  I found out she was going on the 2011 cruise by herself, so I invited her along to a pre-cruise group dinner that some of us from AC had set up.  We clicked and ended up hanging out together the whole cruise.  She lives in the same state as me, so now we go to shows together every tour.  She's one of the girls I'm doing Vegas with.

And Mare, I know you don't really live close to Philadelphia, but that is on my list of places I'd love to visit, so if it ever works out that they tour there in the summer when I actually have vacation time, I would absolutely come to PA and meet up for a show if you wanted to!

I would love to go to Canada sometime too; I've never been!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »

I hope the fandom lays off Brian because I can't handle the drama! Haha

Poor Brian...  I hate how much shit the fandom gives him these days, though I have to admit he's brought some of it on himself.  I will always be a Brian girl, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says and does.  He and Leighanne make me cringe sometimes, but I still love them.  (Well, I love him.  I tolerate Leighanne.)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »

The divide in this country at the moment is horrible and I feel the same way when it comes to losing respect for people who voted for Trump. Many of my friends voted for the guy. I always try to see things from all sides but this one is hard. I get why a few of them did. Thankfully most of them I wouldn't consider real Trump supporters. They were more anti Hillary and found him the lesser of two evils. I can't wrap my head around that logic either. I have unfollowed quite a few people who were legitimate Trump voters though. The ones who think everything he does is fine.

I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut, especially on FB lol I tend to keep quiet at school during political conversations but I am worried that my facial expressions give away my disgust. lol

As far as Brian, he reminds me of the friends I was talking about. I've always said that Brian would fit into my circle of friends, but he'd be one of the ones I'd constantly roll my eyes at lol just the truth.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »

I'm about 90 minutes away from Philly. I'd totally do a concert if I could afford it and am able to go. That would be fun. I'm hoping they'll just come back to the Sands in Bethlehem.

I have decided to not even turn on my tv for the next 72 hours or so, unless it's to watch something on my DVR. My brain and heart will not be able to deal with all this inauguration crap. I cringe whenever I hear them doing the countdown.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »

As far as Brian, he reminds me of the friends I was talking about. I've always said that Brian would fit into my circle of friends, but he'd be one of the ones I'd constantly roll my eyes at lol just the truth.

LOL That is probably very true.  When I was a teenybopper, I wanted to marry him or someone just like him, but in hindsight, I'm not so sure he would be my ideal husband.  He would probably drive me nuts.  That said, I do think a lot of Brian's choices these days are influenced by Leighanne, so if he'd married me instead, he'd probably be a lot different now. ;)

Honestly, if I could marry any Backstreet Boy now, I'd probably pick Howie because he seems the most normal and grounded of all of them LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »

I'm about 90 minutes away from Philly. I'd totally do a concert if I could afford it and am able to go. That would be fun. I'm hoping they'll just come back to the Sands in Bethlehem.

I have decided to not even turn on my tv for the next 72 hours or so, unless it's to watch something on my DVR. My brain and heart will not be able to deal with all this inauguration crap. I cringe whenever I hear them doing the countdown.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:22:25 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »

I'm gonna try and pretend this isn't happening this weekend.

If WW3 starts, I love you guys lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

Ditto!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »

The divide in this country at the moment is horrible and I feel the same way when it comes to losing respect for people who voted for Trump. Many of my friends voted for the guy. I always try to see things from all sides but this one is hard. I get why a few of them did. Thankfully most of them I wouldn't consider real Trump supporters. They were more anti Hillary and found him the lesser of two evils. I can't wrap my head around that logic either. I have unfollowed quite a few people who were legitimate Trump voters though. The ones who think everything he does is fine.

I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut, especially on FB lol I tend to keep quiet at school during political conversations but I am worried that my facial expressions give away my disgust. lol

I've had the same problem but I've managed to stay friends with the ones who voted "against Hillary" and not "for Trump". I've been really vocal on Twitter though and started volunteering/donating more. I haven't been this politically active since Bush but, it's different this time and I feel like a lot of people don't realize it. This isn't about political parties, this is about the threat he legitimately poses to the country. He's horrible.

And on a side note if y'all ever want, I wouldn't mind flying out to PA one day ;)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2017, 04:35:28 AM »

*peeks in* I haven't been on here in FOREVER
I missed all of you.... Really. Well... I'm still writing. Sort of, anyway. I updated one of my older stories a week or two ago. I started a new job in September and I've been busy busy busy. I also run a BSB fanfiction group on Facebook. I also took over a Once Upon A Time group, the owner gave it to me so that occupies a lot of my time as well. It's a pretty active group too. I do write now and then like I mentioned, I write slash now (still BSB) and I dabble in sci fi. Thus continuing my tradition of trying multiple genres because I cannot pick just one. I still read as well but I am only reading Julie's story at the moment because nobody's been writing.
By the way when Trump announced he was running for President I immediately thought of Mare's story and went Ummm hide BSB at all costs!!  Haha but joking aside I'm prepared for whatever happens with all this nonsense. I don't really discuss politics due to the fact people have not been nice when I say I didn't vote (I'm not registered)  so I choose to stay out of it and keep any opinions to myself. Nice to see everyone is still around. Talk to you all soon!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »

Mare, sorry but I had to laugh at you calling him Orange Hitler.  I just hope he doesn't turn out to be as bad as predicted.  I suppose we're not much better over here after the majority voted to leave the EU and we are faced with uncertain times too.

Wish I could afford to go to Vegas to see the boys, that would be amazing!  But I'll just have to hope they do another album and tour over here again.  I don't really have friends here who are into them like me, but I trained my husband and teenage daughter well and they came with me to the last concert I went to lol :)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37