Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121186 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »

All of this!! I completely agree and I'm not even American!! I can understand being loyal to a certain political party, but if the current leader of the party that you usually support is blatantly misogynistic and hateful towards certain groups of people, why would you still vote for them?  I cannot, for the life of me, understand why ANY woman voted for Trump! Perhaps our political system is a bit different. Here, people tend to vote more for the person and less for the party. We are less "loyal" I suppose. 

Voting for the person or strictly on issues makes so much more sense than voting along party lines.  I am fairly liberal, especially with social issues, but I'm not registered to either party and have voted for candidates from both parties before.  I think the biggest problem in U.S. politics lately is that, as South Park puts it, our choices are usually limited to voting for a giant douche or a turd sandwich.  Neither candidate is admirable, so people vote for the lesser of two evils or vote against someone rather than for someone.  That was definitely the case in this last election.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »

It's been a really difficult day today. I happened to have the 8th grade at the time of the swearing in and they all wanted to watch it. Unfortunately for them, my room doesn't have a smart board and no cable so unless they all gathered around my little laptop, they weren't able to watch. To try to be impartial was really tough as I explained the swearing in process to them and the transfer of power etc... One of them said at around 12:30 "Do you think he's President yet?" And not thinking I said "Well I thought I heard the seventh seal open so. Yes" he looked at me like huh? And I just said, yes I think he's our President lol

These four years are going to be rough!

Steph, I was wondering how things were going for you guys with the whole EU thing happening. This world is a hot mess!

I did not even mention the inauguration all day at school.  I saw some of our sixth grade classes watching it and heard a few seconds of him going on about how he's going to "make America great again" as I walked by, and I thought, I am not going to expose my students to this propaganda.

In the afternoon, one of my boys asked, "So is Donald Trump our president now?" and I threw up a little in my mouth and then said "Yes."  His next question was, "Is he going to bomb us?  Some of the sixth graders on the bus were saying he's going to bomb us."  So even the kids are scared.  I assured him that the president would not bomb his own country, but didn't tell him I'm more worried about other countries bombing us after he starts a war.  What a sad day indeed.

The weather here was rainy and gloomy all day, and it reminded me of the beginning of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, when the Dementors are breeding and making it cold and misty as Voldemort's taking over.  Either that, or it was the tears of 39 dead presidents weeping for the future of their country.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »

I'm glad you're still writing and reading. I'm sad that out of all my stories, the whole Trump becoming President is the thing that's coming true!

Well, better that than the ones that involve Nick being kidnapped and tortured, right? LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »

Maybe we should do the AC convention we've always talked about in PA.  Seriously, next time the Boys have a summer tour that takes them there, I would be so up for a big AC meetup!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »

I legit laughed out loud at this!! You sound just like me! I do think that wifey has quite the influence on some of his choices and on how he presents himself to the world. Sometimes, I do wonder what would have happened if he'd married someone different. He did get married fairly young and sometimes I can't help but think that it was a slightly impulsive choice because of what was happening in his life at that time. *sigh*

Yeah, I do wonder.  I don't doubt that he loves Leighanne or that she loves him, for as long as they've been married.  And I don't hate or even dislike her.  I've interacted with her quite a bit compared to the other wives, and she has always been very sweet and friendly.  She just makes me roll my eyes sometimes.

Who is everyone's favorite Backstreet wife?  I would probably go with Rochelle, although I like all of them.
~Julie

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

Maybe we should do the AC convention we've always talked about in PA.  Seriously, next time the Boys have a summer tour that takes them there, I would be so up for a big AC meetup!

Ummmm so fun!! It would be almost strange to meet people who know me as a fan fic writer. LOL - NOBODY in my real life knows that I write fan fic. Well, my husband knows ... but only because he came home early from work one day and caught me writing. He's a good sport about it though. All he cares about is if I'm writing a sex scene; then he asks to read it and informs me that even reading about "sexy stuff" is boring. Haha!!

It would be nice to put a face to everyone's screen name though!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »

Woah! That girl is totally brave for opting to do a cruise by herself! I have trouble eating lunch alone at like a fast-food restaurant if I'm on a course for work or something. I always feel like people are staring at me and wondering why I have no friends. LOL Of course, I know that nobody actually cares what I'm doing. I consider myself to be fairly social, but I don't think I could ever go to something that big alone.

I'm the same way.  I enjoy my alone time, but would never be brave enough to do something like that by myself.  Plus, there's so much waiting around on a BSB cruise, it would be so boring to be there without friends.  Luckily she found us! LOL  
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »

I did not even mention the inauguration all day at school.  I saw some of our sixth grade classes watching it and heard a few seconds of him going on about how he's going to "make America great again" as I walked by, and I thought, I am not going to expose my students to this propaganda.

In the afternoon, one of my boys asked, "So is Donald Trump our president now?" and I threw up a little in my mouth and then said "Yes."  His next question was, "Is he going to bomb us?  Some of the sixth graders on the bus were saying he's going to bomb us."  So even the kids are scared.  I assured him that the president would not bomb his own country, but didn't tell him I'm more worried about other countries bombing us after he starts a war.  What a sad day indeed.

The weather here was rainy and gloomy all day, and it reminded me of the beginning of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, when the Dementors are breeding and making it cold and misty as Voldemort's taking over.  Either that, or it was the tears of 39 dead presidents weeping for the future of their country.

I have been saying that it's God crying for our collective stupidity lol

I didn't plan on mentioning the election at all. The kids asked me because the other 8th grade class was watching it when they left to come to me. It's weird because I still can't really tell how they feel about Trump. We didn't hold a mock election like previous years and none of them have commented one way or the other how they feel. To he it seemed like they wanted to watch the actual process more so than Trump. That made me feel better for some reason since I know most of their parents are probably Trump supporters.

It is sad that we're all pretty certain he's going to cause a war. People have actually started a pool to see how long it would take. All I have to say is, that horrible DeVos woman better not became the Secretary of Education!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »

Yeah, I do wonder.  I don't doubt that he loves Leighanne or that she loves him, for as long as they've been married.  And I don't hate or even dislike her.  I've interacted with her quite a bit compared to the other wives, and she has always been very sweet and friendly.  She just makes me roll my eyes sometimes.

Who is everyone's favorite Backstreet wife?  I would probably go with Rochelle, although I like all of them.

I have never doubted that the two of them love each other. I guess I always just pictured him with someone a bit more "hands off" spotlight wise. Like, someone more "traditional" in the wife sense. Someone who would be more behind the scenes - doing her own thing, with her own career, and taking care of the kids. That being said, I don't dislike her (as I have no real interaction with her on which to base my dislike). I'm just neutral as far as she's concerned. Ha!

I've never interacted with any of the wives, so I can't comment from actual experience. If I had to pick a favourite it would be a toss up between Kristin and Rochelle. Kristin seems very genuine to me and her and Kevin make an adorable couple. Rochelle comes across as being very realistic as far as her relationship with AJ is concerned and she seems like a great mommy to Ava (and to the soon to be baby #2).

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »

Ummmm so fun!! It would be almost strange to meet people who know me as a fan fic writer. LOL - NOBODY in my real life knows that I write fan fic. Well, my husband knows ... but only because he came home early from work one day and caught me writing. He's a good sport about it though. All he cares about is if I'm writing a sex scene; then he asks to read it and informs me that even reading about "sexy stuff" is boring. Haha!!

It would be nice to put a face to everyone's screen name though!

It is strange!!  I'm the same way; no one in my real life knows I write fanfic except for my immediate family (parents and sister) because it was hard to hide that from them completely when I was a teenager and still lived with them.  I don't know if they realize I still write it though LOL.  I have never told any of my real life friends because they would either A) make fun of me or B) want to read my stories, and I'm not sure which would be worse LOL.  I've always written under a pen name so no one I know in real life can "find me" online (like students, especially LOL).  So the only people I've ever really talked to about fanfic in real life are online friends that I've met, and it is way more uncomfortable than talking about it on here, even with the same people.  But it's also nice to be around people who know and accept that side of you.  I always feel like there's this huge part of my life that is a total secret from almost everyone I know, and that is kind of awkward too.

That is so funny about your husband!  Do you ever ask his opinion on guy stuff?  Not sex stuff, per se, but like, "Would a guy really think like this?"  I've always felt like most of us probably write the Boys as a lot more sensitive and feminine than they really are, being women ourselves.  I look back on stories I wrote as a teenager and the way I wrote the guys, and I think, "Wow, he sounds like an emo teenager girl."  Because that's exactly what I was at the time LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #295 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »

Well, better that than the ones that involve Nick being kidnapped and tortured, right? LOL

True, although to avoid this mess I'm sure Nick would be willing to take one for the team lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #296 on: January 20, 2017, 08:05:14 PM »

That sounds great to me!

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #297 on: January 20, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »

I have been saying that it's God crying for our collective stupidity lol

I didn't plan on mentioning the election at all. The kids asked me because the other 8th grade class was watching it when they left to come to me. It's weird because I still can't really tell how they feel about Trump. We didn't hold a mock election like previous years and none of them have commented one way or the other how they feel. To he it seemed like they wanted to watch the actual process more so than Trump. That made me feel better for some reason since I know most of their parents are probably Trump supporters.

It is sad that we're all pretty certain he's going to cause a war. People have actually started a pool to see how long it would take. All I have to say is, that horrible DeVos woman better not became the Secretary of Education!

That DeVos woman was the running joke at my work today!! (Next to Trump and the soon to be influx of American immigrants, of course).Guns in schools?! - Okay, lady!! WTF? Shouldn't one have at least a teaching degree and/or some kind of relevant experience in order to be considered for a position with "Education" in the title?? I have no words ...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #298 on: January 20, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »

The only person who knows I wrote fanfic in my real life is my sister. I wish I had thought of writing under a pen name completely different than me. I mean Mare is a bit close to Marianne and I am sometimes worried that some of my former students will figure it out one day, especially the ones who love BSB and there are quite a few.

I have met online BSB friends before, just not any from my AC family. I remember being worried that once we got together we'd have nothing to talk about, but then it ended up really natural. It's weird because with all of them we rarely even talk BSB anymore lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #299 on: January 20, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »

That DeVos woman was the running joke at my work today!! (Next to Trump and the soon to be influx of American immigrants, of course).Guns in schools?! - Okay, lady!! WTF? Shouldn't one have at least a teaching degree and/or some kind of relevant experience in order to be considered for a position with "Education" in the title?? I have no words ...

You would think so, but then again, you'd also think our President should have some qualifications as well, besides being a rich reality star/megalomaniac
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37