Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121214 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »

This forum is kind of dead but I haven't been here in ages so I had a lot to catch up on! I didn't write anything for much of last year since I was quite busy, but I have had free time again and started writing stuff again. (I haven't written anything BSB in years though. Sads.)

What are your favorite and least favorite kind of scenes to write?

Julie, I also hate writing concert scenes. So much. And I write them so often because most of my fics end up taking place on tour. Which is why I started leaning more towards AU. But I feel like every concert scene I write is exactly the same. Even though they shouldn't be, because I have reasons for putting them in the story otherwise I'd just gloss over them, you know? Maybe one day I'll write in a non-boyband fandom and then concert scenes will be a thing of the past! (Though, knowing me, the characters would just end up in a boyband AU)

My most favourite scenes to write are hyper drama-filled arguments. Which I'm sure anyone who has ever read anything I've written knows. I feel like I do those the best and often a story idea will come to me through a scene that pops into my head and I'll write the entire thing around that. My stories are always full of these scenes and I've had to learn to balance that with more of a build-up or falling action so it's not just drama all the time. I feel like I've done okay with that. I think if I went back and read some of the BSB fic (or "Nick trash" ha!) that I was writing in 2007 or 2008 I'd cringe at how those stories were just drama..drama.. drama..

I'm going to ask a question - what's a story idea that you've sat on/always wanted to write but haven't actually gotten around to writing?

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #406 on: April 09, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »

I love writing arguments, too!  I usually enjoy scenes with a lot of dialogue, especially when it's just back and forth between two characters.  And there's nothing wrong with drama, drama, drama, Steph! LOL  Can it go over the top at times?  Sure, but that's what makes fanfic fun!

I've always wanted to write a suspense story that involves fanfic... like where the villain stalks and attacks the Backstreet Boys one by one using fanfic plots.  I've had the idea since like 2001, and it's evolved over the years, but it's never felt like the right time to start writing it.  Now it feels too cheesy and outdated, although I guess I could set it in the year 2000 or something and it would seem more relevant.  I've always wanted to write a great suspense because I love reading it, but I suck at writing it.  My plots are too cliched and predictable, or I write myself into a corner and end up abandoning the story.  Maybe someday.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #407 on: April 11, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »

I love writing arguments, too!  I usually enjoy scenes with a lot of dialogue, especially when it's just back and forth between two characters.  And there's nothing wrong with drama, drama, drama, Steph! LOL  Can it go over the top at times?  Sure, but that's what makes fanfic fun!

Haha, you're right! It is much more fun that way  :D

I like your suspense idea, that'd be fun to read! Even though it would probably work better set in 2000 or so, it'd also probably work if you set it in the present. BSB being around this long just breeds more crazy, lol.

I have a couple BSB fic ideas I've been sitting on for a while but haven't ever written. Both of them are set "back in the day." One of them is where Nick gets frustrated with Nsync beating out their record for Millennium and decides to take down JT via going after Britney himself. It would not have been a serious fic in the least. The other one is a slight AU where Nick never joins BSB and goes for Mickey Mouse club instead. He becomes a solo artist around the time BSB start to break in the states. I considered it being slash between Nick/Brian but I never fleshed it out far enough.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #408 on: April 14, 2017, 07:28:50 PM »

Oh jeez, Nick and Britney?!  That would have been a hot mess, but could make for an interesting, drama-filled, fun story.  LOL   The Nick AU idea is interesting, too.  Would you create an original character as the fifth Backstreet Boy who would have taken his place or make it a real person who could have been in the group?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #409 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »

LOL I know, Nick and Britney would have made a hot mess but it would have been fun to write due to its over-the-topness!

I think my plan for the AU was for BSB to be a foursome, rather than putting someone in Nick's place.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #410 on: April 17, 2017, 12:00:16 AM »

Ah, that makes sense.  That would probably be better than someone random being the fifth Backstreet Boy.

As a follow-up to your question about story ideas we've been sitting on...  What is everyone's process for deciding to start a new story?  Do you start one as soon as an idea comes to you, or do you wait until you're done with your current story(ies)?  If you're someone who tends to sit on story ideas, how you decide which one to write when you're ready to start something new?

I have a list of story ideas that I always go back and look at when I finish a project, but some of them have been on that list for years and years and have never been written because I always end up thinking of another idea that demands to be written first.  I think Guilty Roads was the last story I started from that list, and look how well that has gone. (Not well.)  The stories I actually finish tend to be more spontaneous ideas that I start writing right away instead of sitting on forever.  I wonder if that's just because the ideas are fresher and that means I'm more inspired or what.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #411 on: April 17, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »

Ideas that I've always wanted to do? Wow. Well there's a Frick and Frack slash novel I've been toying with, I been wanting to do a story about how they fell apart over the years and stuff. Lots of angst and drama.

I love that fanfic plot idea Julie, I'd totally read it. You should include some cliches in each chapter if you ever do write it. It would be like one of those throwback stories. Like I said, I'd read it.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »

I guess my process depends. I have a lot of stories that are sitting with an outline (and I use that term loosely - it is really just a document with babble about what might happen) and anywhere from 2k-10k. I find I often can figure out the beginnings of my stories quite easily and then have a harder time with the middle or the end. And then when I get to the middle part they get abandoned. More often than not the stories that I actually complete are the ones that I get the idea for on a whim and the inspiration just keeps coming, rather than something I planned out and thought up long ago.

Although I did actually write and complete a Soccer/World Cup AU in 1D fandom, which was an idea I had when I joined that fandom and didn't write until 2014 or so. So I guess it is possible. In rare occurrences lol.

Tracy, you should write the Frick and Frack slash. There should be more slash in this fandom! Maybe that's what would bring me back, haha.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

I have been writing quite a bit of slash recently Steph lol. I have a lot posted on AC, mostly one shots. I write Mostly Frick and Frack but I have done Nick/Kevin too, although Brian and Nick is easier to write. I have a couple chapters of the novel done just kind of been sitting on it  deciding if I want to post or not. Lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2017, 08:41:30 AM »

I am also super out of the loop when it comes to BSB fic, so there is that lol

I am interested then, what sparked the uptick of slash in this fandom? Cause for a while I remember there wasn't much. But I remember Julie wrote that Nick/Howie oneshot on the cruise and SAMS and Tracy you're writing now too! Did the boys do something? LOL
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »

I wish I had something to contribute to this conversation. I'm just happy to see a fanfic conversation happening!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #416 on: April 23, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »

Regarding slash, I think for me it was Cinzia (pen name Usako) participating in these threads a few summers ago that got me thinking about slash.  She writes Brian/Nick slash.  I read one of her stories for the summer reading challenge one year, and even though I've never been into slash, I enjoyed it.  She's the one who got me thinking maybe I should challenge myself and try to write one.  Then Howie and Nick did this radio interview during IAWLT press where Howie talked about Nick's pubes: https://youtu.be/doq6lpBY6xk?t=9m55s  That's when I got the idea for Unsuspecting Sunday and SAMS.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:33:25 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2017, 12:33:03 AM »

I tend to have a basic outline when I write. Nothing super detailed but a summary of what I "plan" to have happen. I never stick to it 100%, I like having my characters take the wheel cause 9/10 times it just makes everything more interesting.

I've been writing but I haven't been posting cause like in my Miles To Go fic I keep changing things and since it's suspense, it's better I stick with it. Causing delays, which sucks. And my attention span is sometimes soooo ADD. I just got an idea for a old school Kevin/Nick bromance story. It literally came out of nowhere with a "what if Nick ran away from his screaming parents at 14/15 and just showed up at Kevin's door?" LOL. I'm currently outlining it and we'll see where it goes.

I think my favorite thing to write are introspective angsty scenes. I adore getting into the thought process of the characters. Especially Nick cause he's forever dripping with angst LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2017, 08:19:55 PM »

I love slash and mpreg a lot! I have so many slash fanfics in my fanfic's binder, but I don't post them because I know fans don't like this type of story

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2017, 01:14:13 AM »

^You'd be surprised.  It does seem like slash is making a comeback in this fandom, and there have always been readers who enjoy m-preg.  The only way to attract them to AC is to keep posting stories; otherwise, they won't even know there's any m-preg there.  Having your stuff on that Most Recent page as much as possible can make a difference.

Does anyone else have a certain subgenre or type of story they really like to write, but feel other people don't like to read?  I'm fortunate that medical dramas seem to do well in this fandom because people who don't enjoy reading that type of thing probably think it's weird to spend so much time making Backstreet Boys sick LOL.

~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37