Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 122299 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #420 on: April 29, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

It does seem like slash is making a comeback. Funny how things always happen in cycles.

I've been fortunate to write the mainstream genre type stories. I've never really been into the less popular sub genres. If I was I'd probably go ahead and write them anyway but it would've also depended on my mental state at the time and why I was writing it in the first place.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #421 on: April 30, 2017, 01:51:11 AM »

I have been writing a bit of everything but for some reason I always end up doing slash now. I also have that Sci fi story I'm still working on, and a romance... So amusing I can juggle all these genres at the same time. Been doing a bit of everything lately.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2017, 08:29:27 PM »

Regarding slash, I think for me it was Cinzia (pen name Usako) participating in these threads a few summers ago that got me thinking about slash.  She writes Brian/Nick slash.  I read one of her stories for the summer reading challenge one year, and even though I've never been into slash, I enjoyed it.  She's the one who got me thinking maybe I should challenge myself and try to write one.  Then Howie and Nick did this radio interview during IAWLT press where Howie talked about Nick's pubes: https://youtu.be/doq6lpBY6xk?t=9m55s  That's when I got the idea for Unsuspecting Sunday and SAMS.

Oh, gotcha! That makes a lot of sense.

Also that whole interview is amaze. But LOL when the interviewer is like "Thousands of women are fixated on you..." and Nick just bursts out laughing. Thanks for sharing that!!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »

And then Nick goes "There's always one in every group..." and Howie's like, "I'm married!"  So funny.   
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2017, 11:46:22 PM »

^You'd be surprised.  It does seem like slash is making a comeback in this fandom, and there have always been readers who enjoy m-preg.  The only way to attract them to AC is to keep posting stories; otherwise, they won't even know there's any m-preg there.  Having your stuff on that Most Recent page as much as possible can make a difference.

Does anyone else have a certain subgenre or type of story they really like to write, but feel other people don't like to read?  I'm fortunate that medical dramas seem to do well in this fandom because people who don't enjoy reading that type of thing probably think it's weird to spend so much time making Backstreet Boys sick LOL.

Sci-fi LOL. I love that section of AU but either no one writes it or no one reads it. It hasn't stopped my love of it, but it's crazy the difference in if I write angst vs if I write sci-fi.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #425 on: May 02, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »

I have been writing a bit of everything but for some reason I always end up doing slash now. I also have that Sci fi story I'm still working on, and a romance... So amusing I can juggle all these genres at the same time. Been doing a bit of everything lately.

I just find it easier. Like, I always found romance to be my favourite genre. Now with slash I don't have to create a generic OFC. And the story can be about two boys instead of just one. Win-win! lol

I kind of want to start writing a BSB slash but I feel so out of touch with the fandom now. I did outline something so maybe I should just start writing and see what happens.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #426 on: May 02, 2017, 07:40:11 PM »

^My favorite thing about writing slash has been the fact that it can be a totally BSB-centered story without any OFC and still have some romance.  Definitely a win-win!

The downside to it?  If you prefer writing in third person, it seems like it would get confusing with all the male pronouns.  ("He pressed his mouth against his, as his arms encircled his waist," etc.  Who is doing what??)  That is why I'm writing in first person.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »

^The male pronouns do get super confusing in third person. I struggle with this a lot and end up using names a lot more than I normally would. It's challenging to do that and still have it flow nicely.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »

I bet!  I guess you'd have to use their names most of the time to avoid the confusion though.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2017, 12:41:45 AM »

I just find it easier. Like, I always found romance to be my favourite genre. Now with slash I don't have to create a generic OFC. And the story can be about two boys instead of just one. Win-win! lol

I kind of want to start writing a BSB slash but I feel so out of touch with the fandom now. I did outline something so maybe I should just start writing and see what happens.

That's kind of where I trip a little with the romance part. But I think I'm getting better at it. My more  recent stuff has been well received. Plus with  Secrets Of The Heart I got a little hospital drama in there which I have a soft spot for. Funnily I have kind of picked up my regular romance again, although it's so weird to go back to writing about a female being with  Nick instead of Brian lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #430 on: May 06, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »

What kind of endings do you prefer (happy, sad, bittersweet, wraps up nicely, leaves you hanging, etc.)?  You can answer as a reader and/or as a writer - it'll be interesting to see if you like to write the same kind of endings you like to read.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #431 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »

I typically prefer the same as a reader and a writer. I like things to be wrapped up with regards to the main plot, but I do like it if something is left hanging a little bit. That way something can be left open to interpretation if I'm the one reading it, and if I'm writing it then I do that to try and leave room for a sequel should I ever wish to write one.

In terms of happy or sad, I do usually go for the happy ending. That's not to say the ending is the most typical or what you'd expect would be the happy ending. I do like if my characters are happier at the end of the story than they were at the beginning, even if they had to go through some unexpected turmoil to get there. Like, I feel like Nick dying at the end of Forever Like This wasn't necessarily the happy ending that people expected, but it helped with Brittany's character development. Throughout the story she had a habit of just getting comfortable and being stagnant, so Nick's death was a wake up call for her in that sense.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #432 on: May 08, 2017, 03:01:03 AM »

I think it depends on the story. I like things to be tied well enough but maybe leave some things up to the reader. Both as a reader and a writer. Like with Stephen King's Dark Tower series, the ending is SO open which pissed off a lot of people but I adored it because it fit. Or like in Undead we never say what happens to Kevin or Gabby.

But in Remember Me This Way I tied up things pretty nicely, even though the ending was still upsetting (even if you saw it coming) and sad. Because there was no happy ending for that kind of story. An ending just needs to feel right, even if it's not a neat and tidy one, or even if it's unhappy.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #433 on: May 08, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »

I like endings that wrap things up, both as a reader and a writer.  I don't like to be left hanging, and I don't usually leave readers hanging with my endings, unless it's to lead into a sequel.

As far as happy vs. sad, as a reader I prefer sad stories with happy endings, but as a writer, I like them bittersweet.  My favorite kind of ending to write is one that will make people cry, then smile through their tears.  I don't mind that kind of ending as a reader, either.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »

What's the story (or maybe part of a story) you've written that you're the least proud of, and what would you change to make yourself feel better about it?

I have to think about this for a while before I answer lol
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37