Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121211 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #450 on: May 22, 2017, 02:37:52 PM »

What is your favorite BSB era?

What is your favorite version of each Boy (according to era... for example, Ghetto-Fab Nick from the "Cocaine Solo Tour"/The Hollow/Punk'd era, ca. 2003)?

My favourite BSB era is probably Never Gone. I was huge into them at that point, maybe more than I was when I was a teenager in the crazy days of BSB. I also got to see them in concert during that era, and I hadn't since 1998 when I was 11 and we were in the nosebleeds. For Never Gone we were in the 5th row, I'd gone through this phase of really enjoying live music and seeing a lot of indie shows, so getting to see BSB was amazing that year for me.  I guess a close second would have to be the Backstreet's Back portion of their crazy days. That was when I first became a fan, my friends were all fans and we were just learning everything we could about them. That was really fun too.

My favourite era for each of the boys is tough. But I'd probably have to say it's right now for all of them, with the exception of Brian. For the other four, they all look so happy and like the best versions of themselves. Especially Nick... I was watching some old (1997/1998) footage of BSB a couple weeks ago and I was just cringing at Nick. I don't understand what my 13 year old self saw in him...? He really does sound and look a lot better now. For Brian... I still like him, that'll never change, but some of the things he's done/said recently have me going "...Really?" I feel like maybe it was better when I knew a bit less about him. Regardless, I'm going to go with Unbreakable Brian as my favourite era for him. Because he was more accessible but he wasn't as in your face about some of his opinions as he is now. Or at least, I wasn't aware of them.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #451 on: May 28, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »

I feel the same way about Nick and Brian.  Nick never did it for me back in the 90s; I was all about Brian back then.  I will always be a Brian girl, but he and I will just have to agree to disagree on some things LOL.   Nick has grown on me, as have Kevin and Howie.  I think those three just get better with age.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #452 on: May 28, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »

For the Nick girls, has the fact that Nick is now married with a kid changed anything about your writing?

I know for me, as a Brian girl, I started writing less about Brian after Baylee was born.  Before that, it was easy enough to write off Leighanne - I could kill her or have them break up/divorce if I wanted to write Brian romance (which I wrote a lot of back in the day).  But once they had a family, it was harder for me to do that, so I started writing more about Nick instead because he had less "baggage."  I haven't started a new story since Nick became a member of the "married with kids" club, but I wonder how that will affect my future stories.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #453 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »

Nick has grown on me, as have Kevin and Howie.  I think those three just get better with age.

So much this.

For the Nick girls, has the fact that Nick is now married with a kid changed anything about your writing?

The current story I am working on takes place in 1997/1998, so there's no need to worry about kids and wives there (though Leighanne is in the story). That just happened to work out nicely since the setting of the story required BSB to be up and coming rather than in the crazy days or any present time period. The boys themselves had to be a bit younger too.

If I were to go and write another Nick romance story, I'd probably set it before Odin was born. I guess the nice thing about that is there's a lot of time to play with where Nick wasn't married or had a kid yet. The story could easily be set in 2013 before any of those things happened and BSB's situation was largely the same as it is now. I'm not really sure what I'd do if I wanted to write a story and work the Vegas residency or something current into it. I guess it would depend on where I was going with the plot - the last Nick romance I wrote was in 2012 and to get around Lauren I just had her leave him six months prior to the story starting. Which worked because Nick needed to be bitter and cranky when the story started out, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #454 on: May 29, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »

I think that's a good solution - just set it in the past.  I personally like that better than AU.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #455 on: May 29, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »

That's why I mainly wrote old school BSB. Takes the wives etc...out of the equation. Since they've gotten older, I haven't been able to channel them anymore.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #456 on: May 31, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »

Yeah I'd either find a way to write the wives out if I need to or put it in the past. With Miles To Go, I made sure she wasn't on the bus LOL. In one of my To Be Written ideas, they'll have divorced. Not for any romantic reason, but to shove him in a dark place I'll need him in. That and I don't wanna write Lauren LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2017, 05:57:12 AM »

My favourite BSB era is probably Never Gone. I was huge into them at that point, maybe more than I was when I was a teenager in the crazy days of BSB. I also got to see them in concert during that era, and I hadn't since 1998 when I was 11 and we were in the nosebleeds. For Never Gone we were in the 5th row, I'd gone through this phase of really enjoying live music and seeing a lot of indie shows, so getting to see BSB was amazing that year for me.  I guess a close second would have to be the Backstreet's Back portion of their crazy days. That was when I first became a fan, my friends were all fans and we were just learning everything we could about them. That was really fun too.

My favourite era for each of the boys is tough. But I'd probably have to say it's right now for all of them, with the exception of Brian. For the other four, they all look so happy and like the best versions of themselves. Especially Nick... I was watching some old (1997/1998) footage of BSB a couple weeks ago and I was just cringing at Nick. I don't understand what my 13 year old self saw in him...? He really does sound and look a lot better now. For Brian... I still like him, that'll never change, but some of the things he's done/said recently have me going "...Really?" I feel like maybe it was better when I knew a bit less about him. Regardless, I'm going to go with Unbreakable Brian as my favourite era for him. Because he was more accessible but he wasn't as in your face about some of his opinions as he is now. Or at least, I wasn't aware of them.

My favorite era is probably Millennium in terms of the group. It was a fun time. They seemed perfect then and everything was at it's peak. They were COMPLETELY unaccessible to me but I didn't care. That and now, because everything seems to be going their way again. The Boys are happy, there's a lot of stuff happening and as an adult I can do a LOT more than I could then LOL.

In terms of the Boys, I really love Millennium Brian, Unbreakable Howie cause that's when I started appreciating him, and current Nick, AJ, and Kevin.

Nick is so at peace, he sounds happier, he seems happier, and it's kind of awesome. Brian...man I wish he hadn't become so open. There's so many things I wish I didn't see or didn't know. Things I basically force myself to ignore these days LOL. Kevin I've always loved so I have no set preference but he's so appreciative right now. AJ is happy and settled and man, Howie's fun lol. Like I never noticed it back then but I do now.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »

Does anyone actually enjoy writing about the guys' real wives/children/family members?

I usually don't and try to find ways to either write them out or avoid having to write them in, but I have to say, I've actually kind of enjoyed writing Lauren and Leigh in my current story.  I don't think I would necessarily enjoy writing them as main characters, but as supporting characters, they've been okay.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #459 on: June 02, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »

These are questions for those of you who have stopped writing fanfic or taken a hiatus from it.   Why did you decide to stop?  Do you miss it?  Do you ever think you'll go back?  Have you taken up any new hobbies in place of writing?  Discuss.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2017, 04:39:04 AM »

Does anyone actually enjoy writing about the guys' real wives/children/family members?

I usually don't and try to find ways to either write them out or avoid having to write them in, but I have to say, I've actually kind of enjoyed writing Lauren and Leigh in my current story.  I don't think I would necessarily enjoy writing them as main characters, but as supporting characters, they've been okay.

No, I actually hated writing about their real life family members, that's why I rarely if ever, did.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2017, 04:46:50 AM »

These are questions for those of you who have stopped writing fanfic or taken a hiatus from it.   Why did you decide to stop?  Do you miss it?  Do you ever think you'll go back?  Have you taken up any new hobbies in place of writing?  Discuss.

I stopped for a variety of reason, number one being my lack of a computer. Also my MS has gotten in the way of my writing in general. Part of my symptoms is weakness and pain in my hands so I really struggle with typing for long periods of time. You can probably tell by how less long winded I am in replies in general whether it be here or Facebook. The good news is, i am doing better. But those two things plus loss of interest in the guys as well is what made me stop.

I do miss writing. I'll often have ideas but these days that's all they stay. I doubt I'll ever go back, but never say never I guess. If I did, it would most likely be to either finish my last story or just write a random one shot. I believe my novel days are over.

I guess I just read a lot more than I write now. Not interested in reading fanfic anymore, unless it's old school group related which it seems no one seems to be writing. I'm reading good old fashioned books again lol and watching way more TV then I should. Also writing music again.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #462 on: June 03, 2017, 11:45:21 PM »

I'm glad to hear you're doing better!  I can imagine that would make it really hard to write.  The lack of computer is a problem too, but if you ever end up replacing your computer and get the urge to write again, give Google Docs a try.  They have a voice typing feature that is pretty impressive.  All you need is a microphone (most laptops these days come with a built-in one), and you can just talk, and it types what you say.  I have played around with it just for fun, and it actually does a pretty good job recognizing speech, as long as you don't talk super fast.  It's not perfect, and you do have to go back and edit for punctuation, but I think it's a neat option for people who struggle with typing.

Reading and writing music are great hobbies!  What kind of music do you write?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #463 on: June 06, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »

I was trying to think of an instance where I enjoyed writing about the extended BSB family, and I came up with nothing. I was working on a story that focused mostly on Nick and Lauren a few years ago but I only got 10 or so chapters in and the Nick/Lauren scenes were the worst to write, so I scrapped that lol. I just feel so awkward writing about them and I feel like they become more of a one-dimensional character than an original character does because I have trouble imprinting the qualities I need on them as I'm very aware that they're real people while I'm trying to write about them. Obviously BSB are too, but being celebrities it's easier to disassociate Nick Carter the Backstreet Boy from Nick the regular guy.

I will say that I did write a 1D story where Harry's sister was a main character and quite enjoyed it. I think that was probably a unique case in that it was an AU and I'm quite a fan of her in her own right anyway.

These are questions for those of you who have stopped writing fanfic or taken a hiatus from it.   Why did you decide to stop?  Do you miss it?  Do you ever think you'll go back?  Have you taken up any new hobbies in place of writing?  Discuss.

I guess I technically stopped writing BSB fanfic for a while. I would dabble here and there but I haven't actually posted anything in nearly 4 years. It was a combination of just feeling burnt out and then having left and feeling like I couldn't really come back since I'd left and gone over to another fandom. That was mostly my own personal feelings, obviously no one told me that. For myself, I don't like the feeling of being dedicated to something, then ditching it, then coming back. That's why I won't post anything until it's completely finished now, and I'm like that with 1D fanfic too. I also didn't write anything in that fandom for the past year and a half or so. I've only just started writing/posting in that fandom again.

Mare, I'm glad to hear you've been feeling better. I'm sorry things have been so rough for you lately. I'm glad you've found some other hobbies since you're not feeling writing right now.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #464 on: June 06, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »

I don't remember if I told you guys this, but I took a creative writing class a couple of years ago. It was terrifying because obviously I wasn't going to stand up and say "I just want to improve the quality of my boyband fanfic." lol but it was super informative and a lot of fun. I still meet up with some of the people from that group for tea every once in a while.

Anyway, one of my main takeaways from that class was the importance of the first line in the story and how it should be used to create conflict right away. Ever since then I've given a lot more attention to the first lines of my works and have gone back and looked at them once the story is finished to see if they still make sense. The example the teacher gave was, "There were thirteen bubbles in the milk." which was the first line in a short story about the first day of school in a town where mixed-race schools had just become a thing. He said it was great because bubbles in milk meant something was jarring it, like the situation in the story was jarring. And obviously the use of the number thirteen creates an uncomfortable atmosphere.

So I guess my question is, what's a first line of one of your stories (and someone else's story, if you can think of one!) that you really like?
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37