Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 122265 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #465 on: June 06, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »

For myself, I don't like the feeling of being dedicated to something, then ditching it, then coming back. That's why I won't post anything until it's completely finished now, and I'm like that with 1D fanfic too. I also didn't write anything in that fandom for the past year and a half or so. I've only just started writing/posting in that fandom again.

Aww, you know we would happily welcome you back anytime (glad you're back to reading BSB fics and posting here, at least!), but I understand what you're saying.  I know as a reader, it's frustrating to get into a story and then be left hanging when the author abandons it or doesn't update in forever, so I hate doing that to people as a writer.  I used to be so consistent about updating stories, and now it's hit or miss.  I go through phases when I'm still really into writing, like right now, but then I get busy and go so long without doing it that I lose interest and have to force myself to start again.

For awhile, I was thinking I might take a break after I finish Sick as My Secrets, but now that I'm almost done and still have the whole summer to write, I'm sure I'll start something new.  I just probably won't post it right away.  I wish I had the willpower to do what you're doing and not post anything until it's done, but since it takes me like four years to finish a story, that probably isn't going to happen LOL.  I've found with SAMS that if I can just stay about ten chapters ahead of what's posted, I can keep updating consistently even when I'm not writing.  That is probably what I'll do with future stories too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #466 on: June 06, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

I just feel so awkward writing about them and I feel like they become more of a one-dimensional character than an original character does because I have trouble imprinting the qualities I need on them as I'm very aware that they're real people while I'm trying to write about them. Obviously BSB are too, but being celebrities it's easier to disassociate Nick Carter the Backstreet Boy from Nick the regular guy.

That is so true.  It's also hard because we don't really know the wives and family members, whereas we at least feel like we know the Boys in some way.  Leighanne is the only one I feel like I can portray somewhat accurately because I've at least interacted with her and seen a lot of her in real life.  I think "I <3 Nick Carter" helped give me a better sense of Lauren's personality, but I have no idea what Rochelle, Leigh, or Kristin are like in real life.  I don't think I could ever make any of them a main character in a story, nor would I want to.  If I'm going to have a female lead, it's way more fun to make up my own.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #467 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »

I stopped for a variety of reason, number one being my lack of a computer. Also my MS has gotten in the way of my writing in general. Part of my symptoms is weakness and pain in my hands so I really struggle with typing for long periods of time. You can probably tell by how less long winded I am in replies in general whether it be here or Facebook. The good news is, i am doing better. But those two things plus loss of interest in the guys as well is what made me stop.

I do miss writing. I'll often have ideas but these days that's all they stay. I doubt I'll ever go back, but never say never I guess. If I did, it would most likely be to either finish my last story or just write a random one shot. I believe my novel days are over.

I guess I just read a lot more than I write now. Not interested in reading fanfic anymore, unless it's old school group related which it seems no one seems to be writing. I'm reading good old fashioned books again lol and watching way more TV then I should. Also writing music again.

I'm glad you're doing better Mare. :) That can't be easy.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #468 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »

I don't remember if I told you guys this, but I took a creative writing class a couple of years ago. It was terrifying because obviously I wasn't going to stand up and say "I just want to improve the quality of my boyband fanfic." lol but it was super informative and a lot of fun. I still meet up with some of the people from that group for tea every once in a while.

Anyway, one of my main takeaways from that class was the importance of the first line in the story and how it should be used to create conflict right away. Ever since then I've given a lot more attention to the first lines of my works and have gone back and looked at them once the story is finished to see if they still make sense. The example the teacher gave was, "There were thirteen bubbles in the milk." which was the first line in a short story about the first day of school in a town where mixed-race schools had just become a thing. He said it was great because bubbles in milk meant something was jarring it, like the situation in the story was jarring. And obviously the use of the number thirteen creates an uncomfortable atmosphere.

So I guess my question is, what's a first line of one of your stories (and someone else's story, if you can think of one!) that you really like?

You know Steph, I liked what you mentioned about first lines. So I went to go look to see how they compared.

I’m starting this book, knowing I’ll never finish it. - RMTW

Backstreet Boy in ‘Larger Than Life’ Accident
Associated Press

A violent crash on the Los Angeles highway has 35-year-old Backstreet Boy, Brian Littrell in critical condition.
- Walked Out Of My Dreams

It wasn’t planned you know. - Here We Stand

t’s weird, trying to get the mess of a life I had together. - Show Me A Reason

I guess a lot of people say that through every tough thing, you find more of yourself. - Song For The Undead

It’s no secret to anyone that you and I aren’t as close as we used to be. - Miles To Go

Each of them set up conflict but it's not something I've ever consciously thought about. I just wanted to draw in the reader. But it's really neat.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #469 on: June 06, 2017, 01:55:31 PM »

So I guess my question is, what's a first line of one of your stories (and someone else's story, if you can think of one!) that you really like?

First of all, props to you for taking the creative writing class.  I think that would be so interesting, but the thought of sharing my writing with people in real life and getting critiqued is terrifying to me.  I would probably enjoy an online class, where I didn't have to interact face to face with anyone. LOL

Secondly, great question!  First lines are so important, and that's also what makes them so hard to write, for me anyway.  Last lines are almost as bad.

I'm not good at remembering first lines, so I guess one sign of a good one is that I can quote it without even having to look back.  Other than famous first lines of classic literature I've never actually read (It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times...), there are only two first lines from other people's work that I can do that with.  Neither are from fanfic.  One is "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone":  Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of Number 4, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.  The other is "Six Months to Live" by Lurlene McDaniel:  When Dawn Rochelle was thirteen years old, they told her she had cancer. I've always loved the last example because it gets right to the point, which goes with what you were saying about creating instant conflict.

I had to look through my favorite fanfics to find good first lines from other people's stories, but here are three I really like, in no particular order:

1. The sun had long since set and the black pavement of the back country road glistened in the moonlight, a sheen of silver covering its smooth surface after a horrid thunderstorm.  ("Crash and Burn" by Refuse)

I like this line because it's so descriptive and sets the scene for this short story about a car accident.  It creates conflict by establishing that it's dark, it's been raining, the road is slick, and it's out in the middle of nowhere, which are all the ingredients you need for a great car crash story.

2. Tim was never big on visitors. ("Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost" by Mare)

This line is so short and simple, but I like it for a couple of reasons.  The first time I read this story, it made me curious.  Who the hell is Tim, and why is a BSB fanfic starting with him?   And now, having read the story and knowing who Tim is, I can appreciate what this sentence reveals about Tim's personality, which plays an important part in the plot.

3.  I’m starting this book, knowing I’ll never finish it.  ("Remember Me This Way" by Rose)

I love this line because, again, it makes the reader ask questions.  How does the writer know he'll never finish the book, and why not?  Instant conflict.

In looking through my own stories, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have any amazing first lines.  But my favorite is probably this one, from "Unsuspecting Sunday":  It was four in the morning, and Nick was falling down drunk.  I think it has a nice ring to it, and it sets the stage for bad decisions to be made.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #470 on: June 06, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »

The obvious next question is, what are your favorite last lines from your own stories and/or other people's?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #471 on: June 06, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »

Awww thanks ZDR. I kinda wanna look at first lines in my fave fics now. One thing I always loved was how you bookended Curtain Call.

Of my own stories I think my favorite first line was RMTW. I'll have to look at my stories and see how my last lines hold up.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #472 on: June 06, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

Honestly looking at my stories, I don't like my last lines nearly as much as my first lines lol. I don't know why but I don't feel they're very impressive. I guess I'd go with RMTW and the line I shut the door behind me. followed by Brian's signature. It's very final.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #473 on: June 06, 2017, 11:17:06 PM »

As for other stories, I really like how Steph ended Running Up That Hill, "As far as I was concerned, our story was far from over. It wraps everything up but it also sounds so hopeful.

Also...Curtain Call. " For as long as I live, I’ll never let it die." It's so heartbreaking, because Cary is talking about Nick's memory but it's SO true to the story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #474 on: June 06, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »

I learned so much from looking at last lines of stories

I didn't realize this was going to be the case when I asked the question, but I agree with Rose - I don't like last lines as well as first lines.  That goes for my own stories as well as others'.  I think it has to do with context.  You don't have to have any context to appreciate a good first line, but I found that last lines don't stand alone as well out of context.  I looked back at some of my favorite fanfics that have great endings, but none of the actual last sentences really stood out to me when I looked at them in isolation.  Two of them did make me tear up... but only because I knew the context behind them.

"Brightening up our night, watching us, asking us to hold on to each other now…her star will always shine." ("Cover Me With Dreams" by Heidi)

“He’s gone….” He managed to say before breaking into fitful cries. ("Swollen Issues III" by Carrie and Swenglish) <-- I had to re-read that whole last chapter after reading the last sentence...  :'(

In looking through my own stories, I found that I have a lot of cheesy and cliched last lines.  I like to work the title of the story into the last line if I can, which is super cheesy.  One thing I noticed that I had never realized before was my love of including the word "eternity" or "eternal" in the last sentence of many of my oldest stories from my first year of writing fanfic.  Look at this list!

It was because both rings represented Brian and Alexa's eternal love for one another. A love that could never die, that would always live on inside them, just as an angel lived on in Heaven, watching over them for all eternity. ("Heart of an Angel")

He followed Elisa into the beautiful light, to live for all eternity with his true love. ("Where You Are")

He lowered his lips to hers and kissed her, a kiss that proved his love for her was eternal. He would be the one for her for all eternity. ("The One")

But even though that one night had become hazy in his memory, AJ knew that he could never forget Tara, the woman he had grown to love and would love for all eternity. ("One Night")

Now they could finally leave this Earth behind and go to where they truly belonged, to be together for all eternity. ("Visions of the Past")

A lot of references to going to Heaven, too.  Like I said, super cheesy.

As far as actual good last lines go, I found two favorites.  My favorite serious one is from "By My Side":  Yet it was here their bodies could finally rest, side by side.  Aww, Nick and Claire. <3

But my actual favorite is from a funny challenge story, "Shorty and the Deceased":  The remaining four Backstreet Boys ran from the house, leaving the two zombie lovers to roam the earth in search of human flesh, hungrily ever after.  Aww, Shorty and the Deceased, a.k.a. Zombie Nick! <3
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #475 on: June 06, 2017, 11:25:53 PM »

Aww, thanks for the Curtain Call love, Rose!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #476 on: June 07, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »

LMAO at all the times you used eternity. And yeah last lines need a lot more context. First lines don't. So you can be vague and dramatic to get the reader's attention and then go from there.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #477 on: June 07, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »

Thanks guys! It's been a rough year. At my worst I was using a walker. Now I'm barely using a cane. MS is an odd duck, I feel like the whole experience has made me strong and reassess  how to properly utilize what should stress me out or make me sad. lol

Also thanks for the first line mention, Julie!

I'm going to have to go back and look at my stories and others to answer those questions. Now that I am on break, I will have more time to do that.

Also thanks for bringing up the google thing. I will definitely look I to that when  and if I ever get a laptop.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #478 on: June 07, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »

Happy summer vacation to you, Mare!

Chromebooks are a good option for a cheap laptop.  You can get one for around $200 or less, depending on brand.  They use Google for everything, so you'd have to use Docs instead of Word, but otherwise, they work about the same.  I don't have one for personal use, but we have them at my school, and they're great for basic things like internet browsing and writing.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #479 on: June 07, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

They use chrome books at my schools too. They seem handy. I have thought about one of those as well.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37