Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121208 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2017, 01:40:07 AM »

Has anyone else discovered any writing quirks or habits they have (or had), like the "eternal/eternity" thing I mentioned in one of my earlier posts?  Anything you do or did often in stories that you didn't even realize?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »

Another question, before I forget it:  Have you ever reused/recycled a storyline, like written more than one story with a similar premise, just done in a different way?

If you haven't done this, which of your storylines would you choose to recycle?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:02:34 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:09 PM »

I learned so much from looking at last lines of stories

I didn't realize this was going to be the case when I asked the question, but I agree with Rose - I don't like last lines as well as first lines.  That goes for my own stories as well as others'.  I think it has to do with context.  You don't have to have any context to appreciate a good first line, but I found that last lines don't stand alone as well out of context.  I looked back at some of my favorite fanfics that have great endings, but none of the actual last sentences really stood out to me when I looked at them in isolation.  Two of them did make me tear up... but only because I knew the context behind them.

"Brightening up our night, watching us, asking us to hold on to each other now…her star will always shine." ("Cover Me With Dreams" by Heidi)

“He’s gone….” He managed to say before breaking into fitful cries. ("Swollen Issues III" by Carrie and Swenglish) <-- I had to re-read that whole last chapter after reading the last sentence...  :'(

In looking through my own stories, I found that I have a lot of cheesy and cliched last lines.  I like to work the title of the story into the last line if I can, which is super cheesy.  One thing I noticed that I had never realized before was my love of including the word "eternity" or "eternal" in the last sentence of many of my oldest stories from my first year of writing fanfic.  Look at this list!

It was because both rings represented Brian and Alexa's eternal love for one another. A love that could never die, that would always live on inside them, just as an angel lived on in Heaven, watching over them for all eternity. ("Heart of an Angel")

He followed Elisa into the beautiful light, to live for all eternity with his true love. ("Where You Are")

He lowered his lips to hers and kissed her, a kiss that proved his love for her was eternal. He would be the one for her for all eternity. ("The One")

But even though that one night had become hazy in his memory, AJ knew that he could never forget Tara, the woman he had grown to love and would love for all eternity. ("One Night")

Now they could finally leave this Earth behind and go to where they truly belonged, to be together for all eternity. ("Visions of the Past")

A lot of references to going to Heaven, too.  Like I said, super cheesy.

As far as actual good last lines go, I found two favorites.  My favorite serious one is from "By My Side":  Yet it was here their bodies could finally rest, side by side.  Aww, Nick and Claire. <3

But my actual favorite is from a funny challenge story, "Shorty and the Deceased":  The remaining four Backstreet Boys ran from the house, leaving the two zombie lovers to roam the earth in search of human flesh, hungrily ever after.  Aww, Shorty and the Deceased, a.k.a. Zombie Nick! <3

Omg I love that series... One of the first few stories I read. LOVED Swollen Issues. I am catching up right now cause I've been missing in action. Been working on a secret project that I might be posting soon.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »

Omg I love that series... One of the first few stories I read. LOVED Swollen Issues. I am catching up right now cause I've been missing in action. Been working on a secret project that I might be posting soon.

Oooh, secret project!  Can't wait to see what it is.

I need to go back and re-read the whole Swollen series sometime.  It's been a long time!  Those stories had such a huge impact on my own writing.  Actually, all of Carrie/Jenna's stories did.

There's another question for when the rest of you come back:  What other fanfic authors have inspired you or influenced your writing?  You can answer for published, non-fanfic authors too if you want.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #484 on: June 09, 2017, 12:11:14 AM »

Last lines. I had to go back and read some cause I forgot which were my favorite.  But here's some of mine from my stories.

"I grinned at him and went to my seat, really feeling like my life was about to begin." - Nick (Finding Carter)

"That's what brothers were for after all." - (One Phone Call)

Here's some from MY favorites.

"And with each new tomorrow, they would find ways to leave that past behind." (Song For The Undead)

“Guys, have I ever mentioned a blueberry pig?” (What Lurks Around The Corner)

There's a lot more than this but it's just a couple
I have way too many favorites.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #485 on: June 09, 2017, 12:15:45 AM »

I need to go back and re-read the whole Swollen series sometime.  It's been a long time!  Those stories had such a huge impact on my own writing.  Actually, all of Carrie/Jenna's stories did.

There's another question for when the rest of you come back:  What other fanfic authors have inspired you or influenced your writing?  You can answer for published, non-fanfic authors too if you want.

Now you make me want to go reread it too..
And Perfection because those were so good. Reminds me of when I first came to AC and was reading everyone's stuff lol. But to answer your question... I have said this many times but a big inspiration to  me is Mare. She's still my favorite fanfic author even though she doesn't write anymore but I love and reread a lot of her work still to this day.

As for my project it's a Frick and Frack slash that you suggested I continue a while back... I've just been writing in private and not posting which I've never done before. I just want to be sure I can commit to finishing it. Lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #486 on: June 09, 2017, 12:19:50 AM »

Nice!

I'm happy to hear some of you have been writing things in secret!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #487 on: June 09, 2017, 12:35:22 AM »

I've never done this before, but I have five chapters so far and I have posted a teaser on social media. There was positive feedback so I'm going to keep going. It  never hurts to try out new ways to write.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #488 on: June 09, 2017, 03:18:08 AM »

Last lines. I had to go back and read some cause I forgot which were my favorite.  But here's some of mine from my stories.

"I grinned at him and went to my seat, really feeling like my life was about to begin." - Nick (Finding Carter)

"That's what brothers were for after all." - (One Phone Call)

Here's some from MY favorites.

"And with each new tomorrow, they would find ways to leave that past behind." (Song For The Undead)

“Guys, have I ever mentioned a blueberry pig?” (What Lurks Around The Corner)

There's a lot more than this but it's just a couple
I have way too many favorites.

BLUEBERRY PIG!

Literally my favorite thing from What Lurks Around The Corner. I remember when Mare was starting this, I told her to use that as the title LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #489 on: June 09, 2017, 03:22:44 AM »

Has anyone else discovered any writing quirks or habits they have (or had), like the "eternal/eternity" thing I mentioned in one of my earlier posts?  Anything you do or did often in stories that you didn't even realize?

Song lyrics, whether someone is singing them or I use them as chapter titles...they always pop up somewhere. I used to use them before starting a chapter and I'm glad I kicked that habit LOL. Twins always seem to pop up in my stories too but I've gotten away from that as well.

Another question, before I forget it:  Have you ever reused/recycled a storyline, like written more than one story with a similar premise, just done in a different way?

If you haven't done this, which of your storylines would you choose to recycle?

No but I've thought about it. The closest I came was when I reworked a story.

Maybe I'd do another take on the BSB summer in London now that I know what was wrong with Brian's voice. I was guessing then so I took some liberties and coming at it from a new angle would be interesting.

Eboni inspired me a lot back in the day, I loved her stories. Real World wise, I'd say Stephen King is a pretty big influence. The Stand was a huge influence on Song For The Undead, and I feel you can SO see the influences from the story Misery in Miles To Go.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #490 on: June 09, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »

BLUEBERRY PIG!

Literally my favorite thing from What Lurks Around The Corner. I remember when Mare was starting this, I told her to use that as the title LOL.

I laughed so hard at that line at the end of Lurks. So funny. Lmao. I have literally read everything of Mare's. I spent one summer reading every one of her stories. I should do that again with someone else sometime.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2017, 09:07:39 AM »

Writing quirks.

I tend to forget Howie a lot. Like he'll be there for the beginning and then he's hardly mentioned at all the rest of the story. I finally got over this when I wrote Finding Carter, I actually gave him a bigger role as the villain type role in the story. I am trying to get better. I also use a lot of references to movies and songs lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #492 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »

I've never done this before, but I have five chapters so far and I have posted a teaser on social media. There was positive feedback so I'm going to keep going. It  never hurts to try out new ways to write.

Absolutely!  I've found that I go back and do more revising when I wait to post chapters, so the finished product is better than if I just post right away (because once it's up, it's not getting changed except for to correct typos).
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #493 on: June 09, 2017, 11:39:27 AM »

I forgot about blueberry pig!  That brings me back LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »

Song lyrics, whether someone is singing them or I use them as chapter titles...they always pop up somewhere. I used to use them before starting a chapter and I'm glad I kicked that habit LOL. Twins always seem to pop up in my stories too but I've gotten away from that as well.

I went through a "song lyrics in story" phase too, mostly just with Broken and BMS.  Before or after a chapter isn't so bad, but I would put them in between scenes or even in the middle of scenes, which I realize now is so distracting, not to mention cheesy LOL.  I'm glad I kicked that habit too, although I still make playlists for myself to listen to for inspiration.  I also still love using song lyrics in my story titles.  That's usually my go-to if a title doesn't come to me right away.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37