Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121207 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2017, 06:50:38 AM »

It seems like most of us do that with AJ. Maybe because he us such an odd duck that it's easy to make him the funny side guy. I always do find myself saying after seeing him in interviews or interactions with the guys, why do I always name him the funny one? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »

I agree with everyone who said AJ is the comic relief.  He is mine too.  He is the one I can count on to make inappropriate jokes to lighten the mood.  I think that goes back to the good old days, when we would see videos of the guys goofing around on the bus or backstage or whatever... it seemed like AJ and Brian were always the funniest ones, playing off each other, and then Nick would be trying too hard to be funny.  I can appreciate Kevin and Howie's sense of humor more now, but they're a little more subtle about it, so I never really saw it back then.

One of my favorite videos that shows what I was saying above is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfTuzEkNkQ  It's from when they were getting their makeup done for their old men sketch from the Black & Blue tour.   Stuff like this is why I love the A-Rok combo so much (not in a slashy way).  The two of them are SO different, but they compliment each other so well.

Do you find that the perception you had of the boys when you first became a fan is still the way you write them, or has your portrayal of them changed over the years as maybe your perception of them has changed too?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #512 on: June 10, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »

Last lines are generally my favorite things to read and write.

Those are all great endings!  I should go back and look at last paragraphs; I might find a little more that way.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #513 on: June 10, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »

Man... Ground Zero. That takes me back cause it was one of the first fics I ever read here. I loved that story. I guess to this day I still like that torture suspense drama mystery kind of story. Which makes me want to ask a question....

If you still read, has your taste in story genre changed or stayed the same over the years and why?

My taste has pretty much stayed the same.  I've always loved medical dramas and suspense the most, and I still do.  There just aren't enough medical dramas being written these days, though.  Where's Jenna when you need her??  I guess I have to just keep writing my own LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #514 on: June 10, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »

I find that I write Kevin completely different now because back in the day I thought he was so small retentive, stuck up and bossy. I thought Brian was like the guy who was everybody's friend. AJ was comic relief. Nick just became any character I wanted because there's a lot to play with. Howie... Well I always forgot Howie.

Its changed a lot because as I know more about the guys now... Kevin has gotten much easier to write. Nicks the same as well. Howie, I am trying to get better at channeling him but it's hard for me because I don't relate to him at all. At least I feel that's the reason. I don't hate him but he's so awkward. Lol. AJ... I don't really think I've changed a whole lot with him because he's still the same as is Brian. But it's easier for me to write angsty Brian these days too.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »

My perception of Kevin has definitely changed too.  It seems like he's mellowed over the years, but maybe that's just because the rest of the guys have grown up, so there's not such a difference in maturity in the way they behave.  I think his sense of humor and fun have shown more since he came back than before he left.  I don't write a ton about Kevin in my stories, but I have tried to show that side of him more when I can.

Sick as My Secrets is the first Howie story I've ever written, and it hasn't been as hard as I thought it might be.  It's weird that I don't write more about Howie and Kevin because, of all the boys, they are the two that are probably most similar to me in terms of personality.  They should be easy for me to channel.  I'm just more drawn to the other three, especially Brian and Nick.  I guess opposites attract!

I think the way I write Nick has probably changed the most.  He used to exist in my stories only as Brian's best friend, and he was immature and slightly annoying and kind of dim-witted because that was how I saw him until at least Black & Blue era.  Then after Now or Never, he kinda grew on me, and I started making him a main character and writing him as more charismatic and appealing, but still maybe a little dim-witted and overly emotional.  But he was doing all kinds of dumb things in real life back then, so maybe that portrayal wasn't so far off.  My Nick now is smarter and more mature, still hot-tempered but not so angsty, and I think it's because of how much real Nick has grown up in the last decade.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #516 on: June 10, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

Oooh, secret project!  Can't wait to see what it is.

I need to go back and re-read the whole Swollen series sometime.  It's been a long time!  Those stories had such a huge impact on my own writing.  Actually, all of Carrie/Jenna's stories did.

There's another question for when the rest of you come back:  What other fanfic authors have inspired you or influenced your writing?  You can answer for published, non-fanfic authors too if you want.

Without a doubt, I'm with Rose in saying Stephen King. I really try to channel him as much as I can and I basically took his idea from The ending of the Dark Tower and applied it to,Protect and Serve with the way we want things to end versus the way they actually do. I also am inspired by Jodi Picoult and Wally Lamb.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #517 on: June 10, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »

Another question, before I forget it:  Have you ever reused/recycled a storyline, like written more than one story with a similar premise, just done in a different way?

If you haven't done this, which of your storylines would you choose to recycle?

I definitely have recycled my stuff. I plagiarize myself a lot without realizing it lol if I could do a reboot of one of my old stories it would be my very first one, Mizpah.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »

I used to make Nick really dumb actually too Julie. And Kevin would always be very annoyed by it lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #519 on: June 10, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »

Man... Ground Zero. That takes me back cause it was one of the first fics I ever read here. I loved that story. I guess to this day I still like that torture suspense drama mystery kind of story. Which makes me want to ask a question....

If you still read, has your taste in story genre changed or stayed the same over the years and why?

I would've never tried my hand at writing if it wasn't for Ground Zero.

My taste has changed only in that I don't enjoy reading fanfic anymore. I'm Not even sure why. Maybe because I just don't see things I would want to read anymore? It doesn't hold my attention like it used to, but neither do the boys. :( I still love them to death but it's just different now.

All that being said, I still love action and suspense. I tend to always gravitate to those kinds of stories. I seem to have developed a new love of dystopian novels nowadays. Wonder why? lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #520 on: June 10, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »

I agree with everyone who said AJ is the comic relief.  He is mine too.  He is the one I can count on to make inappropriate jokes to lighten the mood.  I think that goes back to the good old days, when we would see videos of the guys goofing around on the bus or backstage or whatever... it seemed like AJ and Brian were always the funniest ones, playing off each other, and then Nick would be trying too hard to be funny.  I can appreciate Kevin and Howie's sense of humor more now, but they're a little more subtle about it, so I never really saw it back then.

One of my favorite videos that shows what I was saying above is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfTuzEkNkQ  It's from when they were getting their makeup done for their old men sketch from the Black & Blue tour.   Stuff like this is why I love the A-Rok combo so much (not in a slashy way).  The two of them are SO different, but they compliment each other so well.

Do you find that the perception you had of the boys when you first became a fan is still the way you write them, or has your portrayal of them changed over the years as maybe your perception of them has changed too?

That's true. I guess I only think of AJ within the last decade. I've never been an A Rok person so I tend to ignore their interactions. I just picture AJ as a goofy guy.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #521 on: June 10, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »

My perception of most of the guys has changed over the years. I used to really struggle with Howie like you, Tracy. But I think I've grown to understand him a lot more now. And I feel like I understand Brian and AJ a lot less. Nick has grown so much and changed so much it's hard to write him the way I used to. I guess the only one that really would kind of stay the same for me would be Kevin.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #522 on: June 10, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »

I definitely have recycled my stuff. I plagiarize myself a lot without realizing it lol if I could do a reboot of one of my old stories it would be my very first one, Mizpah.

A Mizpah reboot would be awesome!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #523 on: June 10, 2017, 08:54:22 PM »

Another question, before I forget it:  Have you ever reused/recycled a storyline, like written more than one story with a similar premise, just done in a different way?

If you haven't done this, which of your storylines would you choose to recycle?

I asked the question about recycling storylines because I've realized I totally do this, to some extent.  In my first year of writing fanfic, I wrote a heart transplant story, a cancer story, a bus crash story, a liver transplant story, and an AIDS story.  My last three novels have been a heart transplant story, a cancer story, and an AIDS/liver transplant story, and I have another bus crash story planned out (ER crossover).  I guess this is kind of inevitable when you write so much medical drama because, let's face it, some illness/injury scenarios are just more interesting than others.  Writing and reading about a character's battle with cancer is more compelling than their battle with irritable bowel syndrome or something LOL.  I've also been able to improve on the way I tackle these topics, and the "recycled" versions are not only a lot better written, but have some kind of twist that makes them different.

If I could recycle any old storyline that I haven't yet, it would probably be "Fight for Survival," which is about the Boys trying to survive in the Rocky Mountains(?) after a plane crash.  I love a good survival story and have always wanted to write another one, but have never quite pulled together a storyline.  I think I could do it more justice now than I was able to do back then.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #524 on: June 11, 2017, 01:52:21 AM »

A Mizpah reboot would be awesome!

I second this because that story is one of my favorites.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37