Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37

Author Topic: New questions to ponder  (Read 121177 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: New questions to ponder
« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »

If I could redo a story it would be In A World Like This. Classic bus crash story but I had poor execution. I would love to do a rewrite. And When I Grow Up. Premise was great but again, I know I can do better.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »

Hey if Netflix keeps rebooting everything, why can't we? I say go for it everyone!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:43 AM »

Hey if Netflix keeps rebooting everything, why can't we? I say go for it everyone!

I really wish they'd stop running my childhood with these terrible sequels and reboots. Anyone else?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #528 on: June 11, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »

The only reboot I've watched is Gilmore Girls and I just watched it the first time this year so it didn't really feel like a reboot. I hate sitcoms so in my eyes some of those reboots like Fuller House couldn't get any worse for me lol

They teased on twitter the possible reboot of Alias which would make me beyond happy!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #529 on: June 11, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »

If I could redo a story it would be In A World Like This. Classic bus crash story but I had poor execution. I would love to do a rewrite. And When I Grow Up. Premise was great but again, I know I can do better.

Do it!  We could always use more bus crash stories.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #530 on: June 11, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »

I don't mind reboots of old shows with the original cast, like Fuller House, but I'm sick of remakes.

Did anyone watch the Dirty Dancing remake on ABC a couple weeks ago?  Atrocious!!  I thought of giving it a chance because I like Abigail Breslin, even though I absolutely hated the idea of them redoing Dirty Dancing (WHY?!?!), but it was also Survivor finale that night, so I didn't watch.  Then I saw all the comments online the next day and figured I had to watch just to see how bad it was, so I caught it on demand.  Yeah... it was bad!!  Patrick Swayze was probably rolling over in his grave.

I can see remaking certain movies that maybe were limited by the technology of the time in terms of what they could do.  One remake I really like is the 2005 version of King Kong, even though I love the original too.  I also loved the live-action Beauty and the Beast - not more than the original, which is my fav Disney movie, but just in a different way.  But there are some movies, like Dirty Dancing, that are timeless and should not be touched.  You can never improve on something like that.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »

I also hate when moviemakers (George Lucas) go back and change things in classic movies (Star Wars).  To me, that is like embellishing a classic work of art, like painting clothes on the sculpture David or something.  They are historical artifacts and should be left as is!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:52:32 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »

I forgot that I also watched the Prison Break reboot and really enjoyed that as well.

I have actually never even seen the original Dirty Dancing. I never had the desire and after hearing about how awful the remake was, thought I'd just stay away from that as well. I've also never seen or wanted to, Top Gun, Footloose or any James Bond movies lol

I loved the live action Beauty and the Beast but nothing compares to the original.

I agree about the whole Star Wars thing. Just leave it alone and walk away, George!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »

Aww, the original Dirty Dancing is so good!  I have never seen Top Gun or Footloose either, though.

I was so excited for Beauty and the Beast, but so afraid I would be disappointed by it because my expectations were so high, and yet I knew nothing could compare to the original.  I think they did a great job with it.  It paid homage to the original without trying to be an exact copy.  I think the details they added and changed set it apart so I could love it in its own right.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »

Do it!  We could always use more bus crash stories.

I might look at it and try it again. Cause I know I have grown as a writer since then and I could probably finish it now

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »

Absolutely!  That's what can be good about recycling storylines - sometimes you know you can write them so much better years after you tried the first time.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »

I was toying around with the idea of redoing Forces Of Nature. It was a homage to Twister but had AJ as the main character. I never finished it. I love the storm chasing storyline though. I'd probably want to rewrite it and finally complete it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #537 on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »

You should definitely redo those if you have the urge. It would be neat to see you can put a new spin on your kier stuff.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2017, 02:04:04 AM »

Exactly what I was thinking. I've been writing a ton lately. About to update Take Me Home, finish another chapter of my story that's not posted and take a look at some of my unfinished stuff. Weird World is on that list and it's so close to being completed. I might go read it to get my mind back into it.

Does anyone else read their old work once in a while or is it just me.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »

I do sometimes.  I go back and read parts of in-progress stories pretty often to help me get ready to write, but occasionally I get to thinking about old stories and will get sucked into reading some of them.  The really old ones make me cringe, but I've actually enjoyed reading the more recent ones.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37